Sewing patterns for big mamas!

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by oleandermoonfyre, Jan 20, 2005.

1. oleandermoonfyre

oleandermoonfyre Member

I am having trouble finding sewing patterns for plus sized women ( regular clothes and maternity clothes), especially patterns of "hippie" clothes. Does anyone know of any resources? I'd really appreciate it.

2. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

I know what you mean. Most cool clothes are made for size 2. I'm not. I make a lot of my clothes. But I want to make an apron top or dress. I just can't figure out how to make the top part cover what needs to be covered. I have directions on how to make an apron top and I've made them for others, but I can't figure out the top part. I wear about a 48C if anyone can figure it out. I have bought a few things from Lane Bryant that I like. And I've bought tye dyes on ebay. I just bought a simplicity pattern that looks pretty simple. I'm gonna try to make patchy pants using it.

Don't really have any real advice, just offering sympathy.

Kathi

3. oleandermoonfyre

oleandermoonfyre Member

I have a huge chest as well. I took a regular apron and folded the top until it covered me sufficiently. Then is used that as a pattern.

4. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

if you're familiar with making apron tops, make them the same, but when you measure your bust size, measure across your actual breasts, don't go by your bra size....and then measure vertically from about an inch above and an inch below your boobs. If you're smaller in the tummy, then gather the material at the bodice, if your bigger, then don't. I dunno if that's any help...im horibble at explaining things. that should work. i've never had to make a top like this, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard.

5. Zeppelin Girl

Zeppelin Girl Member

well i suck at sewing and i dont know where i can get nice fabric at. i have one patch skirt but it looks soo confusing. do u know of ne place online that i can buy one or at least get directions on how to make one?

6. Dakota's Mom

There are so many vendors online that sell patchy clothes. Just do a web search on patchwork. There are far to many to mention and each one is more talented than the next. You wouldn't believe how good some of these gals are. You can get great fabric from eQuilter.com if you don't have any place near you to buy it. As far as directions, get the Threads for Heads book. You can also get some directions online if you do a search for it.

Kathi

7. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

I am always willing to help u mama's out..if u want to pm me i will be more than happy to help u make up ur very own patter....and i know a secret to make apron tops fit ur body ...

8. Dakota's Mom

Please pass on the secrets. Boobs are 59" across the biggest part and 54" underneath. I would probably always wear a tshirt under it except for around the house. I don't think I have the courage to wear one out in public. But I've always wanted one. A pattern would be great.

Kathi

9. urbangal

urbangal Member

Oooooooooooooo, DM that website is the bombastic! I think I found a place to make the curtains for my bus.
    Thanks for sharing that webby! I'd say check the sewing stores for plus patterns. I had to do that when I made my Griffindor Uniform Robe. It turns out the pattern already had plus size numbers on it-just cut to fit. Its almost too big but man, is it cool :)

Share those secrets!

10. oleandermoonfyre

oleandermoonfyre Member

gypsyrose.com has enough patchwork to cover anyone. they have some big stuff, too but nothing i really like. i was hoping they'd expand there styles and sizes soon.

11. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

Well for a skirt..you can just make it drawstring...and go by your measurement..no pattern needed...if u need help pm me..i am willing to help..

for the apron top..u can kinda build in a bra..all u need to do is cut the fabric w/ like two huge u's...well..i guess a w..hehe..and then simple put a big stich in it...and pull it tight like a gather..or u can use some elastic..and make it gather..make sure that u have plenty of fabric to compensate for ur large bust!

does that make any sense at all ?????

12. oleandermoonfyre

oleandermoonfyre Member

Yes, it makes sense. Thanks. Now, to figure out how to make big mama maternity clothes. Thanks for all your help, girls!

13. Weepingoak

Weepingoak Member

for maternity clothes, ie tops, make your top in any style you chose. then in the back cut out a large upside down v and add fabric. it gives a mama lots of belly room and works really well if you wear a sweater or what not. the other thing I have done is find a tank that fits a mama and then use that for a pattern and add like an a line skirt to it just below the bust, and I add grommets and then you can use what ever you have hemp, ribbon scrap fabric and lace it to fit as you please. I do this by making the torso part 4 1/2 inches bigger and then put pleat like things in on the lef and right pin them in so when you sew the bodice to the bust part they are still there, the other thing is you will want them to be like /\ the will be 1ince pleats

and if you have trouble with this I have also made an apron top and did this and then sewn an insert into the /\ part