Sewing Class Intro

Discussion in 'Basic Machine Sewing' started by usfcat, Oct 25, 2007.

1. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

Hey all! Welcome to the HipForums Basic Sewing class!! I hope everyone enjoys this and takes something away from it :)

This class will cover basic sewing techniques including how to use a sewing machine, straight stitch, zig-zag stitching, making hems, adding pockets, making gathers (or ruffles), creating patchwork, and making simple clothing pieces and accessories. I will also cover how to make use of your fabric scraps and also recycling old fabrics!

Learning to sew can change your world. Not only is it a beautiful art that can fill your life with happiness, joy, and creativity, but it is also an amazing way to save money. Think about all the money you’ve spent in the past years on buying clothing. Yikes! It is such a great feeling to wear a one-of-a-kind piece that you made on your own. It is especially wonderful to use scraps and recycled pieces to make something completely new and cutting back on waste!

I will assign sewing projects every couple weeks with step by step tutorials with pictures so you can follow the steps to make your own piece. After making something, post up pictures of your work with an explanation. This should be fun!

A little about my and my experience:
    When I was 11 years old my grandmother gave me my first sewing machine. She taught me how to use it and very basic ideas, but 99% of my sewing skills are self-taught. I learned a lot of stuff from TONS of trial and error and other techniques I learned by doing research. The past few years I have learned so much more because I have learned to read patterns and I have utilized the internet for new information!
    Just so you know...many of the techniques I show you may not be how others do it..or it may not even be the 'traditional' way to go about things...but I gaurantee that I know how to make a sturdy, long-lasting piece that is also visually attractive. Once you get the hang of it, you will be able to create your own masterpiece! My sewing machine is a 1978 Singer Stylist...yeah it's old so when I'm showing you how to use the machine, keep in mind every machine is different and mine is very outdated...but still in wonderful condition.

Let's start off like this: Introduce yourself and discuss any sewing experience you have, whether or not you have a sewing machine, and what kind.

Have fun!!

2. hillbillygal

hillbillygal Member

I have 0 experience in sewing. I bought a singer 337 at a rummage sale only to find that it doesn't work properly but my mother has said that if I can come up with a dresser of some sort she'll give me her Kenmore cabinet sewing machine. I don't have a lot of money to put into clothes so I'd like to learn how to reuse what I already have as well as make some fun stuff to wear. Thank you for offering this study!

3. deadthreads

deadthreads Member

I started sewing when I was 10-11ish. Started making projects to show at the county fair in 4-H. I gave it up in my teen and college years then picked it back up again about 6 years ago. I had been taught the basics in 4-H but most of what I use now has been self taught. I tend to stay away from patterns and if I do use one I usually end up cutting it up and changing it to suit my needs. I currently have a singer precision 7444 that I love and a white serger. I don't get to sew as much as I would like, I have tons of ideas and no time to create them. I think this will be fun- I just hope I don't fall behind- I don't want a bad grade ;)

4. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

I started hand sewing tank tops from old fabric I'd find (dashboard covers, sheets, jeans). They where fuzzy and sometimes gross but at the time I thought they were fabulous. Then I got an old riccar sewing machine and taught myself how to do apron tops/skirt and pants(so much faster!). I had a friend teach me how to use a pattern, clean things up a bit and sew with stretchy fabrics and lightweights. I worked with a business partner making dance wear for a while. Then I eventually took a few college classes in costume construction where I learned how to make clothing and costumes for stage productions. Sewing is my passion, I love to create and wear things I've made. Learning to sew has definately brightened up my life :)

5. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

I started sewing a little bit a while ago. I know the basic hand-sewing...hemming, etc.

I don't have a machine at the moment...I'm saving up for one now!

I'm psyched for this class so that I can learn the basic stuff and get familiar with techniques, etc.!

6. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

wonderful! I'm glad we have such a wide variety of people here, from newbie to the experienced! I will hopefully have a lesson up by the end of the weekend :)

7. berkano

berkano Member

Hi, I have never really started sewing in a big way, but I have a machine that I have dabbled with for a few simple projects - mainly hemming! I have a Bernina something or other, it's quite an old one, but it does the job.

I'm just hoping to find some inspiration here, as I'd love to get stuck in to sewing, but I just don't know where to start!

This group sounds great, thankyou for running it!

8. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

Welcome to class! I hope you learn a lot and have plenty of fun!

9. hillbillygal

hillbillygal Member

I have an update on my Singer 337. I was at a yard sale this past weekend and struck up a conversation with the lady who was running it. She had several sewing machines and I told her about the problem with mine. She was extremely generous and offered to take a look at mine. I took it to her this morning and by one she had called me to say it was ready to go. She said she just cleaned it and oiled it really well and it was working fine. She didn't charge me for working on it. I brought it home and it works GREAT!!! I'm so excited! It really pays to be friendly and speak to everyone!

10. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

wow thats awesome! congrats!! I should have lesson 2 posted tomorrow :)

11. Lookit!

Lookit! Member

Hello, sorry I'm late :) My mom used to sew all kinds of people clothes, quilts, projects and I helped make some things, but since she passed away I have tried and failed to use patterns. I had a friend who liked to make clothes without patterns, so I tried to do that. My projects included a backless tank-top (which I met Ziggy Marley in and he looked at me--and probably what I was wearing, and said "where you from?"--hilarious) and one skirt, which was lopsided and weird but fit and I wore it anyway.
    But I really have no idea how to do things with my sewing machine, which is a Kenmore, and I bought it from Sears on sale.
    I hope to be able to sew all the things I wear eventually! And what my friends wear too!

12. nynysuts

nynysuts No Gods, No Masters

I have a basic fairly cheap sewing machine, I don't actually know the make, but it works! So far I have made a couple of cushion covers and a pencil case, and when I get some pattern paper I'm going to put some panels into a skirt and turn it into a dress.

13. Psychadelik

Psychadelik Member

Wow...I'm super late, but better late than never! :D
    I have a Singer sewing machine and I just finished taking my first sewing class a couple of weeks ago and we made tote bags and pajamas. However the classes are out of my budget. I'm hoping I can benefit from these sewing classes and I'm pretty sure I will! :)

14. bekyboo52

bekyboo52 52~unknown~52

i dont have a machene of my own (still savin...) but i do sew by hand too..... just not that well...... im gonna get a sewing machine soon though....... untill then my aunt said i could use hers.....ive only begun sewing for about 6 months thogh.........still not that great.....

15. ronny25

ronny25 Member

I have a basic fairly cheap sewing machine, I don't actually know the make, but it works! So far I have made a couple of cushion covers and a pencil case, and when I get some pattern paper I'm going to put some panels into a skirt and turn it into a dress.