Serious discussion: is Gay Pride counterproductive?

Discussion in 'Bisexual' started by Paulievcvc, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Paulievcvc

Paulievcvc Members

This is something that has been bugging me for a while and wanted to get other people's perspective. I understand, or at least THINK I understand, what Gay Pride is for. But I can't help thinking it does more harm than good.

Let me explain my thoughts on this.

Gay men are targeted for not being like "normal" men. Ok, so this is a generalization but that is how they are characterized. They dress and act effeminate, talk with the affected voice. Like it or not, this is the perception of what a gay man is.

Now think about some young guy who is questioning his sexuality. If he does come out, will he be lumped in with the "fags", get the shit beaten out of him or worse? Personally, I consider myself pretty much gay although I do still find women attractive to look at. I don't act or talk "gay". To anyone who knows me I am a straight married guy. I don't believe that affecting certain mannerisms and talking in a certain way is a good way to be a role model for those struggling with their sexuality.

Don't get me wrong. I believe in being who you really are, but playing a part to fit in with others and amplifying it is just wrong.

Thoughts anyone?

2. bigredinmass

bigredinmass Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If you were to come out, you don't all of a sudden have to be effeminate or flamboyant. There's a whole spectrum of gay people out there that don't fit the stereotype.
    Gay Pride is simply being proud of being gay. Not being ashamed or afraid. To be celebrated and not condemned. And to celebrate how far gay have come in getting equal treatment.

FWKbi likes this.
  3. Si69

Si69 Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes that was my thought on reading the OP's post....I know and have met heaps of gay folk who by no means fit the suggested stereotype. And while there certainly are gay people that flamboyant and or effeminate many are just 'run-of-the-mill' ordinary people who have varying sexual preferences/proclivities.

I have never felt the need to take part in a gay pride..... I'm at ease with my sexuality and consider it no one's business but my own.

Over the past twenty years prides have been fantastic in cementing LGBTQI issues and rights into people's consciousness, I am not any longer sure that they are needed except as a LGBTQI carnival.

Simon :)

lion1978 likes this.
  4. Si69

PS....do you really believe that gay folk specially affect mannerisms and behaviour...,..for why?

5. LowHangers

LowHangers Members

The movement for equal treatment "gay rights" has come a long way. I personally feel they have made it to the mountain top being insurance companies must cover partners with health care and same sex marriages are now able to adopt a child. The one thing that will never be achieved IMO is changing societies perception of the gay community. You can't force people how to think, each individual has their own beliefs. I will say the gay community is far more accepted within society today than is was 30 years ago and I'm glad it is. I do many times feel certain members of the LGBTQ community take things a bit too far when getting up and into peoples faces. The entire subject of "trans gender" is a very sensitive subject for many people and I feel it's getting a bit out of control as the movement is not longer requesting, it is demanding. This is just my opinion.

bigredinmass likes this.
  6. topper

topper Member

There are more gay and bi people out there, then anyone realizes, men and women. Personally, I couldn't give a shit about what you are or what you personally do. As long as its between consenting adults.I would venture to say that many men and women have tried it , or at least had a curiousity about it. What would you guess? Maybe 95%?

7. Paulievcvc

Paulievcvc Members

I have definitely come across "queens" in my time and there are a LOT of gay men who speak in a voice that clearly identifies them as being gay. I am truly glad that the LGBTQ movement has come this far. We tell our daughters that we don't care if they fall in love with a man or a woman. Be with the one who makes you happy. I guess the point I am trying to make is that the queen is going to get beat up. Someone like me is not. I think THAT is what makes it hard for someone to come out. I am not talking about the reality of all gay men. I am talking about the PERCEPTION of people in general. The predator always sniffes out the prey. Hands up if you think a man who shows ANY signs of being gay should walk into a honky tonk deep in the heart of Tennesse and try to make friends with some good ol boys?

8. bigredinmass

Your remarks are pretty stereotyping and homophobic.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Si69 likes this.
  9. Lucky 777

Lucky 777 Members

Gay and bisexual folks come in all shapes and sizes and personality traits. I believe most people don’t care and don’t really want to know. It’s no different from heterosexual people keeping their private lives private. It seems to me the “pride” label is basically taunting those who have a problem with it and that’s not productive. Do what you want and keep it to yourself.

10. Paulievcvc

Paulievcvc Members

Really, you have to be a dick?? I am talking about PERCEPTION in such a homophobic and conservative country as the US. I am NOT homophobic or stereotyping. Go read my other posts and you will see I am pretty much gay, and quite happy with my sexuality and anybody else who is LGBTQ. I am playing devils advocate here. Go ahead and dress up in obvious drag, go into a redneck bar, and hit on a guy. You really think you will make it out of there without getting beat up?? The point I am trying to make is tolerance in this country is still WAAAY too low. I just think it is still too difficult to come out and separating sexuality from how "manly" you are is tough. I am a "manly" guy but I will jump into bed, make out with out a hot naked guy, suck his dick and fuck him in the ass as quick as I will put on my old jeans and work boots, build a cabinet, replace an outlet, trace a circuit problem, replace the plumbing under the sink or get a backhoe and dig a trench in the backyard to put in a new sewage line. And if a guy wants me to dress in a panties and skirt so he can lift up one and pull down the other before he fucks my ass, I will. It just doesn't sit right with me that gay pride parades project what a gay man should look like.

11. bigredinmass

First off your last post here sounded like you were blaming effeminate men for guys not wanting to come out and it's their fault for getting beat up, not the 'good ol boys'. And even now, you go on about how butch you are. Have you even been to a gay pride parade lately? They are boring as hell compared to years ago. Why? Because most look normal except maybe some rainbow gear. I liked the old parades with the shock value. They were fun.

12. Poplo.

Poplo. Members

Probably more then one think. Before i turned bi it had been on my mind for some time! If it had been up to me to make the first move I probably would have never turned bi ...
    but he made the first move and that's all it took and once I felt his meat I was hooked...............

Si69 likes this.
  13. Si69

if a guy goes into a redneck bar anywhere in the world pretty much, and tries to hit on a guy he can be pretty likely to get a hostile reception....guys are being murdered around the world for such still tragically.

and I agreed with bigredimass a bit...you seemed to singling out gay guys as some sort of different species. just normal people who have a variety of sexual desires, same as straight people have.

Poplo. likes this.