Seratonin

Discussion in 'DMT' started by Jack vs. Explosion, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Jack vs. Explosion

Jack vs. Explosion Member

Has there been evidence that any type of DMT use (chronic/sporadically) has effects on seratonin levels in the brain? If so, what conclusions have been drawn?

2. SILVERWOLF_87

SILVERWOLF_87 Member

Hmm, not that I know of. DMT is produced by the pineal gland through normal metabolic processes anyway, so it's not a compound that is foreign to the body.

I've NEVER heard of a chronic DMT user either...

I'm reading "DMT: The Spirit Molecule" by Dr. Rick Strassman right now, and it has a wealth of information regarding DMT. I'd definitely recommend it if you're interested.

3. Jack vs. Explosion

I'd read through a bit of it a little while ago, very awesome read. I'm hoping to read a bit more of it down the road, I have it ordered and waiting for me at Barnes & Noble.

I was curious as to whether or not large, possible continual, doseages could lead to seratonin depletion. If you run into anything from Strassman, let me know for sure.

4. SILVERWOLF_87

SILVERWOLF_87 Member

From what I've read in Strassman's book, DMT doesn't seem to have any long-term negative effect on the brain's chemistry. The Vaults of Erowid seems to agree with this statement as well.

If I find anything to the contrary however, I'll be sure to let you know!

5. Jack vs. Explosion

Fantastic. I appreciate that greatly. I haven't visited Erowid in ages, I'll have to check that out.

6. freediver

freediver Member

There is very little evidence on any psychedelics. Strassmans book is an entertaining read but lacks any scientific proof or conclusions about anything. For now we will have to just continue to wonder what chemical or physiological changes psychedilics can do to a brain because research will not be allowed and there aren't that many scientists that would devote their life to finding out how illegal, and super rare drugs like dmt work and any possible effects. It really sucks b/c if research like this had been done and published i know we would alll read every last word of it.
    sometimes i wonder if the fear of the public finding out that certain drugs (dmt for example) that are an atom or two away from neurotrasmiters our brains are flooded with every day didn't cause any problems that there would be no logical reason to have them be illegal and more ppl would want to explore them. I think the powers that be are just happy having drugs being totally feared and believed that they will melt your brain and you will be retarded afterwards.

7. SILVERWOLF_87

SILVERWOLF_87 Member

Well, the one thing that we can conclude, is that DMT is naturally present in our brains. Granted, DMT doses are almost always much, much higher than the natural concentration, but it's still a compound that is not foreign to the body.

From a purely evolutionary standpoint, I would find it unusual that the pineal gland would synthesize a compound that is dangerous to the brain itself.

8. Jack vs. Explosion

I was curious if when you trip, however, your brain engages serotonin during the experience in mass amounts, subsequently depleting your serotonin store. I.E. With MDMA, and individual's serotonin store is absolutely fucked after one standard dose for approximately 1-2 months.

DMT is actually created FROM serotonin, in the natural processes of the pineal gland, I mean. So I wonder if frequent use can crash your serotonin and lead to depressive episodes on a physical level.

9. SILVERWOLF_87

SILVERWOLF_87 Member

Hmm, I've never heard of anyone slipping into depression on a physical level, but I have heard of people that have had such intense experiences that they weren't quite the same afterwards.

Any compound has the potential for damage, even water.

10. uplink

uplink Member

The entire whole dmt-pineal gland thing is very hypothetical. I doubt there is any definite proof that DMT is made in the pineal gland, and it is certainly not certain what chemicals are used in the brain to create it.

DMT probably has the same long term effects as LSD and Mushrooms. HPPD and flashbacks. I've gotten DMT flashbacks... and maybe some bland HPPD like symptoms. Psychedelics can also "bring out" mental disorders... often, people argue, the mental disorders appear in people who would come down with the mental disorder anyways later in life. Psychedelics particularly bring out schizophrenia.

It is very well know that most tryptamines (DMT included) effect serotonin
    release in the brain on a short term basis (while you are tripping).

11. Jack vs. Explosion

The DMT-pineal gland things isn't VERY hypothetical... There are a significant number of research projects done during the 1950's that really directed Strassman's analysis to the pineal gland in correspondence with DMT. And a large number of psychedelic research scientists seem to be in agreement. There is no doubt, however, that DMT is endogenously produced.

So can DMT burn out serotonin receptors, if anyone is aware?

12. RealitaT

RealitaT Member

13. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

AFAIK, DMT being completely synthesized in the pineal gland is theory, because the requirements for synthesis exist. Don't think there is proof that it actually does happen though.

I've heard somewhere that Strassman has trouble talking now, IDK from DMT or what, or even if that's true.

14. uplink

uplink Member

Endorphins are created in the brain, and they are pretty much morphine. Morphine is definitely dangerous to the brain. So are steroids. Your body pretty much starts to kill itself once you hit puberty, you were only made to be on this planet for so long. Once you make a child and raise it your time on this world is over from a darwinist perspective.

Perhaps I was putting a little too much emphasis on the uncertainty of DMT being made in the pineal gland. It's just that alot of very vague scientific theories about DMT are very often thrown around as definite fact. The DMT-dreaming theory is one of them, and so is the DMT-pineal-gland one.

It may not be "very" hypothetical. But it definitely is hypothetical, and it definitely is not proven.

DMT will not burn out serotonin receptors. It's safer than marijuana IMHO. Atleast it doesn't put tar in your lungs. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me here.

15. Jack vs. Explosion

Uplink, thanks so much for your response. I find that the REAL value on this website is really the discussion of the theories and conceptual uses and possibilities of DMT and the theories associated. I enjoy the notion that DMT has a TRUER purpose than just being smoked as though it was drinking whiskey or smoking marijuana (both of which are fairly minimal in their "enlightment" highs).

I really do appreciate that last response.

Truly, there is no scientific way to prove a lot of what the pineal gland is used for or even why it's signifcant to the human chemical process.

However, I would hope that it's fair to say that there is nothing that has ever really come up to disprove this theory. I understand that this is a fairly poor-informed statement to make, largely because "disproving" is a silly perspective to take.

I think, more than anything, I HOPE that the pineal gland is truly the "seat of the soul". Though no science has really established anything as of yet. Nor does it seem as though it will...

16. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

Well it is a fact, at least as best as people can directly measure things, that dmt occurs naturally in the mammalian brain, not derived from external sources. The pineal gland has the enzymatic apparatus to do the chemical conversion resulting in dmt, although it hasn't been directly observed doing this (because it is very difficult to observe minute chemical changes in a live brain, without damaging it), it is, so-far, the best candidate for where it occurs.

Also morphine does not physically damage the brain or body, and by doctors, it is considered very safe, if admistered in correct dosages and purity. Other then addiction potiential, I don't know what you mean by dangerous.