Senator wants to call a Constitutional Convention

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sig, Aug 22, 2013.

1. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

It doesn't. In our Declaration of Independence it says
    [FONT=&quot]"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. "[/FONT]

A more secular way of saying it is; I get my Rights because I'm human, and government cannot take my humanity away from me!
    I'm not Religious, so I'm not the one to answer this question. I support the Constitution however, because it allows for Religious freedom, Free Speech, Rights against unreasonable searches and, the Right to a public and speedy Trial. Americans must not surrender these essential Human Rights, for false government promises.

2. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Fair enough I suppose. I disagree with Jefferson that our 'Creator' had anything to do with it, but your secular interpretation is more sensible, I believe. I'm not prepared to entrust the origins of human rights to a creature who may not exist at all; and neither are you, I should think. I only take issue with statements that we get our rights from "God, not the government" because it is the government which we should direct to recognize and safeguard these rights.

3. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

But in your opinion, what do we do when they don't do that?

Police lie to people and purposely violate the Constitution every single day. Politicians are increasingly passing laws which infringe on our freedom and, when people protest (say OWS) they getting pepper-sprayed, shot with tear gas, tazed, their skulls cracked in by police and, arrested; for what was essentially First Amendment permitted conduct. Idk why suddenly "public property" became off-limits 'overnight' to the Public, which own it!

It's a big cultural war that has been going on since the 60's. But only some of those occupiers understood the real issues.

4. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

To win public office or support those who you honestly believe can make a difference for the better. In my opinion it isn't that the system is inherently broken or that things cannot be changed through the legal system, it is ultimately the voters who have failed to support candidates not of the existing two-party framework.

5. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

Frankly, I disagree. I believe the government is inherently screwed up, because businesses control our politicians, and elections through finance.
    Bush,Clinton and, Obama all attended Bilderburg meeting prior to becoming president. I believe the people were fed lies the entire time, which created confusion, and what has become essentially a Matrix of lies and propaganda to keep public support. I also believe (in the USA) it is failing, and the citizens are looking at the true role we play in the world; The role of Government Mafia who silences any dissent, and puts Al Qaeda in power (Libya, Syria etc.)for their own benefit.

6. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Ehh, I think you're being a little too optimistic man. I think the system itself is broken because the system was never designed for the country we have become.

7. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I agree with most of this (not sure on the importance of them meeting with the Bilderburg group, but that's neither here nor there); but once again, who was it who voted them in to power? Who is it who continues to vote for same old; and falling for the same political promises and 'cult of personality'?

It's absolutely too optimistic. I don't think anything will change because it would take such a widespread and national consensus to do so and what type of candidates to vote for. I don't see any feasible alternative though, do you?

I also agree the system was never designed for what it is now; I think the system was great for the late 18th century but is sorely out of date. I believe the Bill of Rights is a fine thing, but think it's absurd to be trying to follow a system of government (the body of the Constitution) written over two centuries ago. I wouldn't trust any politicians in the US government to rewrite a new one, so we're stuck and fucked, to put it eloquently.

8. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Define feasible? ;) We, as a nation, could just finally get it over with and come to blows.

Yeah, I don't trust them to fix it or write a new one either. Why should we leave it to them though?

9. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

LoL yeah that might work. I don't think it likely though. Certainly not a solution most people (my guess) would be willing to push for at this point.

Fair enough, but who then?

10. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

hopelessness is the very worst reason to oppose a constitutional
    convention . a persistent , insistently neurotic what if is irrational .

11. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I am starting to think more and more that it is really all there is left, considering how entrenched many Americans are in their mindsets.

I honestly don't know. Me?