Senate Blocked Gun Control Measures

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I am one of those who believes such weapons give the citizenry valuable tools to resist tyranny.

Of course, that begs the question "what constitutes tyranny that requires armed resistance?" That is a subject for another thread though, I think.

2. Starsrainbow

Starsrainbow ~om~

You know it! Too many guns in wrong hands.....:iagree::peace:
    I'm not against those wanting to arm themselves its the mass madness that gets me to wondering.

3. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

I am a law abiding citizen, why the fuck should it matter how many bullets I have. If shtf and there are hoards of looters trying to steal what I have, I like having a 30 round magazine, also if you target shoot for fun, magazines are expensive, easier to have 30 round magazines so you don't have to reload as much, and don't need to buy so many magazines.

4. SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken Guest

Senator Dianne Feinstein: "If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an out-right ban, picking up every one of them... 'Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in,' I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here." CBS-TV's "60 Minutes", February 5, 1995

We already have laws that keep guns out of the hands of criminals but criminals don't follow the law.

There is no such thing as an "assault" weapon. There are weapons that can be used to assault. ANY weapon.

Rifles, (all rifles) account for less than 2% of gun deaths.

*advice

With regard to "educating myself" I'll stick with resources like the FBI instead of reading what is posted here.

5. SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken Guest

I was just stating my opinion - a guess as to why you might think the way you do. If you were insulted, that was your choice. No insult intended. I was hoping you might post up some detail refuting my guesses.

So that makes the other dozen or so cases irrelevant?

6. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

lol really is no such thing as an assault weapon, as they are semi autos, they just "look evil" oooo so scary, again you guys..criminals don't obey laws. Hmmm lets see there are some people who are killed by pot, when ONE DUMB ASS ruins it for all the responsible smokers decides to drive his car and run over someone. Same can be said for guns, ONE DUMB ASS ruins it for all the people who are responsible users.

I am not in favor of the government telling me I can not own something which in general has no effect on other people, when used LEGALLY

Another thing, canada said they would only take "assault weapons" look how that turned out...

7. the Nexus

the Nexus Member

Where do people get these ideas?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

8. SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken Guest

Instead of going tit for tat with you, which wastes your time and mine, i will simply state the following.

You are operating on feelings. Much of what you have posted is I'll informed (no insult - it just is.

At the end of the day, you want to impose your will on others.

Nobody is forcing you to buy a scary black rifle. However it is another thing entirely to tell me I can't.

Want to change the law of the land? Put it up for a vote and change the constitution.

9. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

I personally do not think they can even amend said part of the constitution, because it is part of the bill of rights and says it will and shall not be infringed, so wouldn't even making an amendment, be infringing on said rights?

10. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

The second amendment has been amended before.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2012/12/jeffrey-toobin-second-amendment.html

11. the Nexus

the Nexus Member

I don't see on here where the Second amendment was actually amended before, and actually, there was no change in interpretation because when it was written, each man in the militia was responsible for keeping and maintaining his own rifle

12. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I dont see any ammendment either. The well regulated militias that helped win independence from Britain, were not trained military men. They were farmers, and every other profession that came together together to fight tyranny. The 2nd ammendment as I see it, always granted American citizens the right to own firearms with the main reasoning of banding together to fight tyranny incase the situation ever represents itself. Foriegn or domestic. Sure, if the government singles you out for destruction no single man will survive no matter what weapons they have. But entire communities that come together, or even cities. Who are armed to the teeth. Could make a stand.

13. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Before I respond, thanks to everyone for keeping it civil.

hillbillyhippy,
    While an ordinary gun can be used for violence it can not reek the havoc of an assault style weapon in the same amount of time. This was clearly shown by the 1997 North Hollywood shootout when two heavily armed and armored bank robbers out gunned the police. The ready availability of those types of weapons, bullets, and armor argue for them being outlawed. The argument that criminals would still be able to get the weapons does not nullify the need for their removal and the elimination of their ease of procurement.
    Even though you are a law abiding citizen, there is no "natural right" for you to own such a weapon without heavy regulation, machine guns may be owned in several states but they are heavily regulated and registered and not available to every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

14. MeAgain

Assault weapon is a legal term,
    Here is Conn's law defining and concerning assault weapons.

The term assault rifle is also a legal term and these weapons are different from assault weapons..

15. MeAgain

I'm sorry, to what cases are you referring?

16. the Nexus

the Nexus Member

If I raise my right hand and solemnly swear to only ever use my guns for recreational purposes, and not even defend myself, my family, or you with them, would that give you the peace of mind you need to let me keep my guns?

17. MeAgain

You'll have to point out what I have said that is ill informed, I accept that that is possible but I would have to see to what you are referring.
    Society imposes its collective will on you every day.
    There are many laws that define what we may and may not do and what we may and may not buy for a variety of reasons.
    Who is talking about changing the Constitution?

18. MeAgain

There are several ways to enact an Amendment in the U.S.
    In addition the meaning of any Amendment can be reinterpreted due to changing circumstances, judicial rule, or popular amendment.
    And I have commented on the origin of the 2nd Amendment before. Originally it referred to well regulated militias, not individuals, which were to support the government and the standing army, not for the purpose of overthrowing the lawful government.

19. the Nexus

the Nexus Member

I can partially agree with this post, each generation should write its own constitution, rather than obey the laws of men who are long since dead.

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

you need to go back and read ALL the documents leading up to the amendments. Just picking the line out of all the surrounding documentation is folly and leads to an incomplete understanding of the reasons, intent and future purpose for the way it is constructed.

This;
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

says absolutely nothing about supporting the government or standing army.
    In actuality the new government was opposed to the concept of a standing army, another reason for the adoption of a civil militia.
    But where it does speak of a civilian militia being necessary to the security of a free state is in reference to security from tyrannical governments.
    Go back and read it all if you don't believe me.
    When taken in context of the entire process of drawing up the Constitution and later the Bill of Rights, it takes on a completely different meaning, and NOT the one you suggest.

I posted the pertinent documents relating to it in another thread;
    http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showpost.php?p=7644251&postcount=723

It may help if you read them again and entirely. It is rather clear that one of the intentions and purposes of citizens maintaining arms is exactly to be able to overthrow a corrupt government.

The likelihood of that happening are slight given the population numbers, but to say that wasn't the part of the original intention just indicates that you aren't as well versed in the Constitution and amendments and stuff as you believe.