Senate Blocked Gun Control Measures

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Apr 17, 2013.

1. SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken Guest

Guns dont shoot anyone. I would recommend you take the time to educate yourself on the gun debate. There is a lot of misinformation floating around from sources that have hidden agendas. Your responsibility as a citizen is to know the facts.

Since you claim to own guns, when are you going on a rampage? Why do you own them?

Are you in the UK?

2. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Hey newbie, you should take your own advise on educating yourself. Start by reading the posts on this thread. One of the most prevalent "misinformations", is the gun nuts claiming that the government is trying to take everybody's guns away, when in reality, it's only trying to get assault weapons out of the hands of nut jobs that want to kill large numbers of innocent people. No one needs a hundred round weapon to defend their home. It's illegal to own stinger missiles, bombs any any other weapons of mass destruction. And if you need an M-16 to hunt deer, try bowling.

3. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Definitely. He's already pretty much guaranteed that the two of us will never have a serious, rational discussion about the issue. I have zero tolerance for the attitude of "you must be an idiot because your opinion is different from mine".

I wish you luck dealing with that shit. You're much better at that sort of thing than I am.

All but two of your assumptions are nowhere close to the truth.

I can't think of a worse way to get started off in a new forum than to come in and identify all the supposed shortcomings of a long-term member, in an angry way, based on one post. But...I'm guessing you're not here to make friends. So...whatever.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Snake,
    A suggestion: divide your responses up by breaking up the quotes into smaller segments. I almost missed your responses as you included them in with the quotes you made of my posts.

I know what the term collective means, but how are you using it here?
    I assume you are referring to the the right of the people to keep and bear Arms. The word people is a plural word, people are made up of persons which are individuals. So I don't understand what you mean by the founders referring to people.

The Constitution both defines and limits. Under the Constitution, which proclaims "Natural Rights", powers have been granted to elected and appointed officials to establish positive laws (man made) which both limit and protect those natural laws based upon their interpretation of those natural laws and in accordance with their constituents wishes while at the same time protecting the natural rights of minorities irregardless of the views of the constituents.

While that may be true, the law has placed limits on how you can obtain and keep ownership.
    To own a firearm in the U.S. under Federal Law you can not be:

1. under indictment for or have been convicted of a felony that doesn't include non-violent business related crimes. Rights are generally restored after the sentence is completed for felonies that are not crimes against persons.
    2. a fugitive from justice.
    3. an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance. (This makes many gun owners technical criminals.)
    4. adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution.
    5. an alien who is illegally or unlawfully in the United States.
    6. discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
    someone who has renounced his or her U.S. citizenship.
    7. subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of the person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child.
    8. convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

In addition most states limit the type of weapons you may own and who may own them. In Pennsylvania several types of weapons are outlawed including shotguns with revolving cylinders, grenade launchers, forward pistol grips, etc.

Under the 1928 Law on Firearms and Ammunition act, citizens were required to have a permit to carry a firearm and a separate permit to acquire a firearm. Furthermore, the law restricted ownership of firearms to "...persons whose trustworthiness is not in question and who can show a need for a (gun) permit." Under the new German law of 1938:

1. The legal age at which guns could be purchased was lowered from 20 to 18.[5]

2. Permits were valid for three years, rather than one year.[5]

3. The groups of people who were exempt from the acquisition permit requirement expanded. Holders of annual hunting permits, government workers, and NSDAP members were no longer subject to gun ownership restrictions. Prior to the 1938 law, only officials of the central government, the states, and employees of the German Reichsbahn Railways were exempted.[4]

4. Jews were outlawed from owning guns, which wouldn't have helped them anyway.

The Russian people under the Czars, were never allowed the “right to bear arms”. Few Russians owned guns when Stalin came to power. The Soviet gun law of 1939 was aimed at the military, not the citizens.

5. MeAgain

Snake,
    Continuing:
    Exactly. That's what a government does. It writes laws and then gives power to enact them.
    And if you don't like the laws it enacts, you have certain legal outlets to address those issues, guaranteed by the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Both written by representatives of the citizens.
    Don't try to pull that stuff on me. You want me to say magazines? Okay magazines.
    So what, I am not talking about them. Are you suggesting we need tighter restrictions on them, if so I would probably agree.
    If there is nothing special about them you will have no trouble giving them up, as any other rifle will do just as well.
    Are you talking about the U.S.? If not you need to tell me what other government has the same Constitution and Bill of Rights as the U.S., the same State laws, citizens, educational system, GNP, etc. otherwise you are not making a valid comparison. In addition, I see no section of the Constitution that prohibits the Federal government from requiring the registration of arms.
    Do you wish to talk about conjectures, rumors, and hyperbole; or do you wish to discuss what the law is and what is or is not right, about those laws, in your opinion?
    Most of us break laws, I am the first to admit that I have broken a number of them such as speeding, however non rises to the level of illegal firearm use. In terms of using a gun illegally, no one does until they do. I never said that gun ownership, per se was illegal, unless the ownership in itself is illegal.
    I eagerly await the acquisition of knowledge and may even admit to being wrong from time to time. Please continue to point out any errors you find in my responses.
    Have I ever said that all gun owners are homicidal?
    For a variety of reasons, some are descendant from the family, some for target shooting, some for home protection, some because I like mechanical objects. I haven't shot any for about a year now, I hate cleaning them. I don't own any assault type weapons, if you will forgive me for using the term.
    I am a natural born citizen of the U.S. of A.

6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Not that it makes any differance to a duck,but you missed my point about rights, Mr Plissken. If you can tell me what "natural rights" humans had-say-2 million years ago,then I will agree with you. Point being, all human interaction,all information we know,all language,science,governments, all of it,has come through evolution of the human condition. In other words-it is ALL of human construct. Unless maybe you are a believer in Genesis. That's another story for another time.

7. trapstar69

trapstar69 Banned

need more guns

8. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

I'm glad it didn't pass. I am very pro second amendment. Why should I have to have less ammo in my magazine? It takes about 2 seconds to put another in, why should I be uneven when going up against a criminal who doesn't care if his mag has 30 rounds or not. This is america. The majority should not rule over the minorities rights

9. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Why do you call yourself a hippie?

10. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

I do support peace. Tell me this how can one say they support the freedom of speech, as it is a part of our constitution, and not support the second amendment sunfighter. The people are given the 2nd amendment to defend themselves. I support the environment, I support peace, I am against racism, and can identify with many things in the hippie philosophy. However I know sometimes words can not solve everything. Hoever I do believe that it should be used as a last resort. What do these type of bans do? nothing really, takes 2 seconds to reload a magazine. The biggest school shooting happened during a gun ban, criminals do not obey laws

Check out that episode of doomsday preppers with the hippies. One does not have to adhere to all the stereotypes. Not all hippies are vegetarian, many of them raise their own meat for slaughter, many do not support obama, why does one have to be anti gun.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how many times you try to talk it out, the bad guys just gonna kill you anyway, law abiding gun owners are not criminals, most gun crimes are committed illegal, hardly any by legal law abiding gun owners.

Heres that link for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_liNYkZn_M

11. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Real hippies could not bring themselves to hurt a fly, much less own a gun.

12. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

So you preach non-conformance, yet if I don't agree with one part of it im not a "real hippie" I'm not looking out to hurt anyone, but I will be damned if I let some over-zealous bad guy with a gun kill me, let alone another innocent person, who would never hurt a fly.

So if someone breaks into my grandparents house, it takes cops 30 minutes to get there, and some guys holdin them at gun point, you want me to give him a flower?

And what about all the hippies who joined the military? So what if a hippie doesn't believe in drinking or promiscuous sex ,but still holds true to all the other stuff, are they not real?

Who are you to judge me mealstrom? And I guess all the people out there on hipforums who raise their own meat on a homestead and all that, I guess they aren't real hippies either, because you couldn't harm a fly. Why not trying to see it the way I see it

Some times words don't work to bring peace, although I believe most of the time they can

Also, i believe it is my job to help animals not suffer by hunting. We as humans have taken out so many natural predators, that without hunting, the animals would over populate and get hurt. Also my bullet is much more humane then nature, and we are born omnivores

If one wants to eat meat in my opinion I think they should butcher an animal at least once. Everyone is free choice, free speech, all hippie concepts. It is my CHOICE to not conform to the cultural norms of what a stereotypical hippy is.

I wish you peace and good vibes, and hope you can see things in a different light

13. MeAgain

hillbillyhippy,

I hate to bring this up, but:
    No one is talking about repealing the 2nd Amendment, here, in the government, or anywhere, so why mention it?
    I have addressed fire rate and high capacity magazines in other threads.

There is no need for them in the defense of a home. They are offensive weaponry, not defensive.

14. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Doesn't that really depend on who, what or how many you are defending your home against?

15. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

[​IMG]

16. MeAgain

Burglars are usually deterred by a single gun shot, or a large dog, as their reason for home invasion is to rob, they like easy targets and are not going to engage in a gun fight.
    Same with rapists.

Personal home assaults from family members, who reside outside of the home may require an exchange of a shot or two. Unless you belong to a family unit that owns the type of magazines and rapid fire weapons that are being promoted.

Are you afraid of being kidnapped? Kidnappers will probably get you if they want you, hard to defend against an ambush or organized assault. Same with hit men.

The Indians haven't arisen lately, so no need to fight off an Indian war party.

If the government wants you, they'll get you no mater what you are armed with.

So what type of home defense are you envisioning that can not be stopped with a semi-auto, or double barrel shotgun and a large dog or two?

17. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I'd like a shotgun and pistol for home defense. Id like a full auto to take to the fields/range and blow shit up like watermelons, junk cars, bags o sand, pumpkins, and whatever else. They're fun.

18. Sig

Sig Senior Member

So? Who said anything about home defense being the only reason to own one?

19. MeAgain

Sig:
    I was responding to these two posts. Maybe I am incorrect in assuming he is saying that he needs a high fire rate and a large magazine(s) to resist a home break-in. He hasn't responded, so we'll see.

What other reasons do you feel are justified for owning a high fire rate large magazine weapon, without adequate registration and regulation, and do you feel that those reasons outweigh any additional dangers that may arise from said ownership?

If the only rational is so that you can:
    as LetLovin said, then I think the dangers out way the "right to have fun." Just my opinion.

20. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Exactly