Senate Blocked Gun Control Measures

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Apr 17, 2013.

1. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Really? Then why did my brother spend 18 months in Kosovo and 6 months in Iraq as a National Guard officer???

I really don't see where you are getting that from the wording.

and again I will say it one more time, It really isn't about the guns, it's about the nation willingly altering the Bill of Rights in a manner that would deprive American citizens of rights that are considered protected.
    Once one passage of the Bill of Rights is repealed, I fear the domino effect will take hold and we will lose them all, literally and figuratively.

Sometimes you have to tolerate some things in order to protect and preserve other more important ones.

I really can not comprehend the mentality I see here, given the overall atmosphere of the site, that relinquishing personal freedoms in favor of more governmental control is ok, especially when some of you in one thread will be calling for anarchy and no governmental control, yet in another thread want guns to be restricted and controlled by the very government you are saying is depriving you of rights and freedoms!!!

It really would be refreshing to see some consistency of ideals and principles, regardless of your personal emotional feelings.

I am willing to risk "gun crazies" in my society because the alternative I fear could be much worse.

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The National Guard is under the control of the Governor of each state under state control and state funding.

However the Guard may be Federalized by the President, as was one of the original intents of a citizen militia, to supplement the Federal Armed Forces under the following conditions:

I should have stated the State Militia can not be used outside of the U.S. as in the State of NY's militia can not invade Canada.

3. MeAgain

I am not. The government is. You can't own an operational Abrams tank and you can't own a machine gun without extensive regulation and registration.

I was not aware of any effort to repeal any of the current Amendments. As a gun owner myself, I have never come out for a ban on all small arms, but I do advocate a reasonable control of those arms.

4. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I wish we could have different regulations for rural and urban/suburban areas. If I lived on the edge of a wilderness area, I might want something like a .22 for self-defense against wild animals, like a raccoon or wolf with rabies In the city, I think pepper spray and a cell phone are sufficient for me. It's two different worlds.

5. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I doubt anything like that would ever fly. Citizens in cities have the same rights as those in the country.

6. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I've been told that Virginia used to do this, with the dividing line being the Blue Ridge. A lot of things need to be different in the city, such as speed limits and noise ordinances. Most cities (including NC) won't let you do target practice in your backyard. No reason for an ordinance like that out in the middle of nowhere. It's all about the number of people you have packed into a small area.

I don't know why, but a lot of things in Virginia are different from most states. For example, no VA city is legally inside a county. When you enter the city limits, you are leaving that county. Sheriff's deputies have no more authority inside any city than they would in a neighboring county. City residents don't have to pay county property taxes. I don't know of any other southern state that's set up like that.

7. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Right, but now you're talking about operation and not ownership like you originally were (or at least how I took it).

8. AmyDaugherty

AmyDaugherty Banned

whatever the policy is its highly appreciable i am impresed with the obamas thoughts hats off to the worlds best president

9. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

[​IMG]

10. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Here in Boston we are seeing tons of ads slamming Sen. Kelly Ayotte of NH for voting against strengthening background checks and how the GOP voted for a sham measure just so they could say that they voted for something they actually voted against. These ads seem very effective and I think she's in trouble politically.

11. MooCow

MooCow Guest

I'm keeping my gun and I'll keep it until it's pulled from my cold dead hooves!

[​IMG]

12. SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken Guest

I don't know where you are getting this drivel, but you don't know what you are talking about.

Read the Federalist Papers.

The term "militia" was used to refer to the general populous, who the founders wanted armed to protect them from tyranny. It does not mean militia the way it is used today.

"well regulated" did not mean "regulations imposed by the government". It meant "organized, well equipped and trained"

Just because politicians later decided to "interpret" the constitution instead of "upholding" it, doesn't change the nature of the right.

Any laws, opinions, regulations, etc., since the bill of rights was ratified infringes on the rights contained therein.

ALL of the rights.

13. SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken Guest

There is no dignity in death. I choose to stay alive to preserve the "dignity" of my wife, kids and life serving others. I choose to preserve the dignity of freedom. Talk is cheap. I'm willing to bet you are under the age of 25, have never stared down the barrel of a gun, have never been assaulted, seriously threatened or robbed. I'm also willing to bet you have not read the constitution, studied history or sought truly independent research on the topics you post. (for example, FBI crime stats).

You seem like the epitome of the low information voter - full of opinions but little objective knowledge.

Either that or you are a sympathizer with tyranny and are knowingly willing to strip away the rights of others for your own purposes.

Which is it?

14. SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken Guest

Have you read the bill? How, exactly, HOW do they want to "strengthen background checks"?

Do you realize that background checks are required for purchasing a gun? Even at gun shows?

Do you realize that guns used in crimes are purchased on the black market? (which means, the toughest laws on the planet would mean dick in these transactions)

I'd recommend doing a little more digging instead of just regurgitating MSNBC talking points.

15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Maybe beside the point,but there are no 'NATURAL" rights. All rights are and have been granted by those with the power to name exactly what rights are, how they are given,to whom they are given, when they are given and why they are given, and therefore, it follows that any such rights enumerated can be said/forced to be lawfull or changed/forced to be unlawfull, at the whims and purposes of those who govern. There can be no expectation of total agreement on this or any other matter,as is apparent by anyone that pays even a little attention to the human condition. So those of us that have firearms will keep them regardless of rulings from "on high" and those that don't have or want them will not.

My family has lots of guns and in fact we're going to the country to shoot targets today. We shoot no living creatures and we will not be shooting up a school or any place else that would do harm to others.

There are good arguments for strong background checks,however as someone has said--the crazies will always get them and if so inclined,will wreak havoc somewhere.

I don't love guns. If all humanity decided to rid the earth of destructive devices,I would be all for it and would give mine up immediately. We'd certainly ALL be the better off for it. But ---I, if at all possible ,will do my best to deter said crazies or run-of the mill nut cases from humiliatiing,raping or killing me or any of my loved ones. Or yours,for that matter ,if such a situation would arise.

I read the papers. I check the internet,I watch the news. And I have been around much longer than most of you here. I know that many,many people are just not right. Not even close. A little dose of paranoia has served me and mine well. I've been shot at and had a gun pulled on me from 3 feet away. I'm still here. I wish to remain. I enjoy life too much to allow someone to take it from me prematurely. I'll be gone soon enough.

16. SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken Guest

Agree with all of that. Except that there are natural rights.

That is the idea of a Right. It is not granted by man or government (which is really just a group of men/women with guns). These rights exist by nature of your existence. The founders attributed these rights to God. But even atheists have these same rights.

The right to life.
    The right to freedom.
    The right to speak freely.
    The right to worship as you see fit (or not)
    The right to assemble.
    The right to defend ones self.
    The right against warrentless searches.
    And the rest....

The Bill of Rights does not grant these rights, nor does the Constitution. These documents simply confirm these rights and limit what the government can do with regard to same.

All people, whether a nomad in Afganistan, a child in Nicargua or a rich, white man in the US have these same rights.

A Right doesn't affect other people. This is why medical care is not a right. Because it requires another person to provide services for free. That's called slavery.

My right to bear arms does not affect others. If I choose to assault someone with those arms, then I'm violating their rights and I'm wrong. Hence, rule of law.

If you choose to abdicate your safety, that is your right. Nobody is forcing anyone to own a gun.

Governments are in the business of control and limiting rights for the purpose of power and money. This does not diminish these rights or their origins.

Would you argue that a woman living under the Taliban does not have rights due to her circumstances of birth within a repressive government?

17. MeAgain

Well Mr. Snake, I'm a gun owner, over 25, have stared down the wrong end of a gun, have been assaulted, and robbed. All on different occasions. I've also been involved in an episode involving a nationally known serial killer.

I've read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and dabble in history now and again.

And I moderate at this site: And I don't like statements such as:
    Especially in a bold type face. Please tone down your rhetoric in the future.

P.S. I support gun regulations and the right to bear arms and see no conflict between the two. I would be happy to debate your views in a rational manner if you care to clearly state what they are.

18. SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken Guest

I only bolded the type so it was easier to follow the conversation. Not for emphasis. My comments werent even directed at you. Sorry if you thought I was attacking. Apologies to the poster referenced if she felt attacked as well.

My point is that ignorance is not an excuse for advocating the limits of rights. The person to whom I was referring needs to do some research.

I'm sort of new here (lurked for several years) and I was under the impression this was all about stating ones opinions.

The person to whom it was directed is welcome to refute. It was not meant to insult. She seems like she is a low information voter based on her posts. I could be wrong. Happy to learn more about her.

I believe I've been quite rational and clear as to my views. I hope there isn't a double standard if ones views run counter to the moderators here.

Meagain, your posts in this thread show a very good understanding of history. However, the Constitution says "shall not be infringed". Regulation is by definition, infringement.

Every other right enumerated in the Bill of Rights is an individual right. Why would the founders (fresh from being oppressed) make that crucial right a collective one?

The Federalist Papers clearly outline the intent of the second amendment. I'll go find some key parts and post up.

I know I'm speaking in ideological terms. But our rights are sacred. It is a dangerous road to let anyone pick and choose which rights are valid and for whom.

What if we decided that you can have freedom of speech, but only certain kinds of speech. And to speak, you must get a license, have a mental evaluation and pass a test.

Or if we decided that you may worship as you please, but only Christian religions. And only on Sunday.

I see the 2nd amendment as a safety mechanism for the longevity of a free republic. Over history governments (that always start with "rational regulation") strip the people of their arms, then proceed to genocide. Over and over again.

For me, bearing arms is not about taking on the government. It is about being responsible for my own safety. Not depending on others to keep me safe. I chose a gun because it is the most effective weapon.

What "reasonable regulations" do you think we need? Do we need more? Would more regulations stop the violence in Chicago, New Orleans, Detroit or Atlanta?
    Would more regulations have stopped the Newtown shootings? The Gifford Shooting? The Virginia Tech shooting?

There are over 100 million gun owners in the United States that own over 300 million guns. Yet shootings by these law abiding citizens are almost unheard of.

In fact, according to FBI crime stats, mass shootings have been declining for the last 50 years. Overall violence has also been dropping.

I'm 50. I've been shot. I've seen death. I've also provided aid. I've seen the best and worst of humans. I will not have my rights trampled by ignorance or emotion. "feelings" don't mean shit.

Knowledge, experience and logic are the keys to intelligent debate and to finding the answers we seek. I want the world to live in peace. But I'm old enough to know that there are good people and evil people in the world.

You will find me to be kind, matter of fact and rational. But I will call out flagrant dishonesty or ignorance in the hope of raising the bar on this crucial discussion.

Tell me more about your life and experiences with firearms.

19. SnakePlissken

SnakePlissken Guest

I'd like to start a thread on this topic where people have to post their sources. But apparently I'm too new to start threads?

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

please do a search first.
    The whole "gun control" issue has been beat to death here and I'm sure you will find numerous threads.
    :beatdeadhorse5:

21. MeAgain

Snake,

Quickly' as I'm getting tired.
    Thank you for responding.
    Not with me, I disagree with most everybody, but let them speak their piece. I just ask you to remain civil and avoid personal attacks. I was worried that Karen J. might have taken offense.

I don't know what you mean by collective.
    That is the function of our government, they define the laws that we live by.
    There are many laws that define what free speech is, you are not free to say anything you like at any time.
    We won't get into that, just think "prays in public schools".
    Two counter examples are Hitler's Germany, and Stalin's Russia.
    That is for our elected officials to decide, but I have no problem with assault style weapons and high capacity clip bans. And gun registration and background checks.
    Regulations are never the only answer, nor should they be neglected.
    All of the gun owning citizens are law abiding (in terms of not having illegally shot anyone)...until they do.
    I would have to research that as various claims are made by various groups all over the net.
    I'm too tired at the moment, I've shot a few, own a few, slept with one, haven't been shot but have been lucky.