Self-Representing Artists on ebay?

Discussion in 'Art' started by kitty fabulous, Apr 24, 2006.

1. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

Is anyone here a self-representing artist on ebay? I used to be shy about showing my work, but now it's time I start taking my work seriously & I'm ready to try and gain a little exposure. I mainly do Altered Art, specifically, miniature interactive assemblages in altered candy tins, some altered books, sculpture, and eventually, art dolls and masks.

Does anyone have experience with ebay's self-representing artists' area? Right now I'm not looking to sell anything for tons of money, I just want to get my work where it can be seen. I used to run a gift gallery for a non-profit community arts center, but I'm a little nervous approaching it from the other side of the inventory book, and I was thinking that showing my work on ebay might increase my confidence and give me a little "practice".

Advice?

2. Magical Fire Lady

Magical Fire Lady Senior Member

Go for it, I haven't done it yet but I've been meaning too.. I hate jobs so I try, haha.

But I think showing your art on ebay is a good step, its not too much exposure.

3. HonorSeed

HonorSeed Senior Member

You may be disappointed selling art on ebay, maybe not. Seems like a lot of art made these days ends up on the shelf of the maker. Just do stuff you wanna keep the rest of your life, lol:) Art is like the memory of experiences that way.

4. HonorSeed

HonorSeed Senior Member

And art is from your wildest dreams. once upon a time............

5. kitty fabulous

Look, can you save the moody blues cliche's for a different thread, please?

Are there any professional artists here at all, or someone with actual experience in small works art sales or marketing, or any familiarity with the self-represented artists area at ebay, that can actually provide a useful answer to my question?

I've run my own "real-world" gift gallery, I know what the art business - and it is a business, not some ridiculous sappy fairytale or a way of skipping out on a "job" - entails. I've sold other people's work; it's my own I'm nervous about, and I was posting here in the (apparently vain) hopes that I'd get a useful answer from someone with actual experience in online art sales, as I only have gallery experience.

Again I ask, is there anyone here who has experience with the self-represented artists area on ebay? Is it a good way of gaining exposure, or just a waste of time and money?

If there isn't any experienced artists here, then just say sorry I can't help you, or no, there's talented people here but mostly hobby artists, or just don't say anything and let the thread die. Don't pretend to know what you're talking about and then toss song lyrics at me, please.

6. HonorSeed

HonorSeed Senior Member

I offered my experience on ebay and you wrote I pretend. I put a phrase in that inspires me and you call it cliche.
    Why don't cha spend some time and look at all the stuff self representing artists have for sale on ebay. Send them email and do something useful with your time? look at the soonest ending auctions and press the watch this item button and see if they have had any last minute bidders like a lot of people do. See what sells, what doesn't. Like I wrote, don't get your hopes up.

7. dangermoose

dangermoose Is a daddy

whoa, calm down kitty

8. Psychopsilocybin

Psychopsilocybin Member

Screw ebay, try http://www.deviantart.com You can display and sell your shit there. It's a great site!

You can get a free account, or a premium, which has way more features, but either way you can show your work and get it out there, and sell it.

Good luck!

9. kitty fabulous

Thank you! That is the kind of information I needed. It looks like ATC's are selling pretty good, on ebay, but the altered tins are not getting the prices I know I could get elsewhere. I may just stick to the galleries for the better pieces, at least. Thank you very much.

I just found out about Yahoo Auctions this afternoon. I don't know if they're a reasonable market for sculpture or not, I'll post what I find if anyone else is interested.