Self Realization Fellowship by Paramahansa Yogananda

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by XBloodyNailPolishX, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Good question, and civilly stated. I'm not sure that anybody really answered it. There's a whole family of philosophical/theological traditions, including gnosticism and eastern philosophy, that have this notion of a "true self" that somehow we've forgotten or overlooked but can recover through meditation, reflection, or esoteric knowledge. Often this is conceptualized as something in the past, but some writers treat it as metaphor for a latent or potential property of reality that is somehow "truer" or more essential than the material reality we experience with our senses. Rousseau begins his Social Contract with a statement that can make sense only in if taken that way: Humans "are born free, and everywhere (they are) in chains". Translation: Humans are born with the potential for freedom, but the corrupting influence of society prevents them from realizing this potential. I think Stev and I had this discussion on another Forum concerning, as I recall, a statement made by Relayer that love was the true reality. (I think the thread is closed, so I'm going by memory). Stev asked how this could be so, since there is so much violence and conflict in the world. I replied that I thought Relayer was speaking in terms of love as the "true" (sensible) reality, and conflict as an "illusion", in the Buddhist sense (i.e., destructive nonsense). If people recognized this truth, there would be no war and conflict, but they are blind and confused, and need enlightenment. I think the concepts of "Heaven" and "Hell" are metaphors expressing these truths. Heaven is a potential reality governed by sensible ideals; hell is a potential reality in which the destructive, nonsensical impulses are given free reign. And both are very real, latent potentials in the physical universe we mistakenly call "reality".

2. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

Imagine a weird little alien creature about the size of a beach ball.

This creature has 1000 eyes, each mounted on a stalk so it can look around independently.

Stuff this creature in a garbage bag and cinch it up tight. Each eye will pop through the bag in time. In the end you have a garbage bag with a 1000 eyes all looking around on the outside.

Each of us is like one of these eyes. We're doing our own thing. We see the world in our own way. Yet, we are still attached to something we ourselves cannot see.

A singular consciousness.

x

3. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

it's likely already been said, but i've always thought that the problem with organised religion (coming from a christian perspective) is that the people will inevitably try to seperate themselves from each other, create a power base, and abuse it's followers. wisdom is not solely given to one ethnicity, since ethnicity is really just habit created and perpetuated by time and proximity. if you find wisdom, something that touches you and makes you want to be someone better and more yourself, go ahead and learn from it. in the end we're all here trying to do the same thing: find those fleeting moments of connection, joy and understanding.