seeing around the world?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by short-man420, May 5, 2007.

1. short-man420

short-man420 Member

ok so i was watching independence day, and when the giant spaceship crashes people from around the world see it when it's hit the ground and at first i thought "what bullshit, you couldn't see something land across the world" but then it hit me, that if everything is pulled by gravity, including light, that if something was big enough, you could literally be facing away from it and be able to see it.

opinions?

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Only if that spaceship was bigger than half of the world. I'm not sure if gravity has anything to do with it in this case. I don't recall if those people on the other side of the world could directly see that ship crash though, but I haven't seen Independence day for a few years..

3. short-man420

short-man420 Member

well like, when it crashes into the ground, they show people in the the US, India, China, Egypt, all those countries that are halfway across the globe, and they're all looking at the spaceship.

iunno, it was a thought i had, since i was completely baked at the time i watched the movie, but i was kinda like "wtf" but then i started thinkin about it

i guess we never will know

4. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Member

Haha, I've seen that movie. There is more than one ship that gets blown up, those are seperate but identical ships.

Yes, if you had an object with the mass of a black hole the light would be bent enough to see around a corner. Problem is that the gravity there would be so strong that anything capable or observing the image would be turned into atomic mush.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Oh yeah, I think that was it. There were several spaceships indeed. Didn't they all crash because they were infected by a virus? Haha. I love that movie though. :)

6. short-man420

short-man420 Member

there was only one main ship that was inside the atmosphere though

there was a mothership just outside the planet, and then a bunch of smaller fighter ships

and when they shot down the main ship that's the one that people looked at

the mothership blew up cuz they infected it with a virus

i was never really interested in that movie, but i was ripped and there were aliens so i thought i'd watch

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

nope. not in the universe we live in. but there could be people all over the planet watching news coverage on tv. and all or most of it biased one way or another, while trying to pretend not to be.

of course crossing space by in some sense distorting it might be real, just not likely, and probable not even possible, to resault in the phenominon you describe.

there are other things, a massive, planet wide, psychic jolt perhapse, but all of that is pretty far out there.

=^^=
    .../\...