sectioning- what is too thin?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by creative_pagan, Mar 20, 2008.

1. creative_pagan

creative_pagan Member

Hi all,
    I really need advice here. I've been a dreadhead in the past and want to do it again; I am pretty clued up on the process itself but my problem is this.
    After unpicking the dreads and going back to ordinary hair, I had a serious return of my scalp psoriasis (poor diet and using chemical shampoos..... ugh, how could I?). Anyway since this happened I have lost a lot of hair, mostly on top. Some will leave scarring, i know from past experience, but not all. (i picked badly.... oops).
    I know with a good diet that much of it will grow back. So that is where I am now. And as soon as the regrowth is long enough Im backcombing again cos I miss my dreadies so much.
    Now getting to the point (yay!). My question is:

As my hair on top will be a little more sparse than the rest of the head, I need to give the appearance of more dreads. I am concerned that doing the sections too thin could be risky, and I cant afford to lose any dreads from on top!! So what size sections would anyone recommend?
    Also, doing thinner sections obviously means thinner dreads eventually, but maybe I could add some fake bits later on to pad them out? Yes, this sucks to me too but I *need* to bulk the top out a bit.
    Any advice will be brilliant!

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

well i have very very thick hair and have a ton of thin and thick..id thinnk youd do better with thinner but not too thin
    you'd want as many dreads there as u can, without being too thin they'll end up breaking besides thinner would help u keep ontop of the scalp being easier to get between and under the dreads easirer

3. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

unless u make a couple big ass congos off the top...but u kno u could let any size section combine with any other at any time to strengthen it