Second Set Of Dreads + Update

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by bleeding_sarcasm, Jul 20, 2016.

1. bleeding_sarcasm

bleeding_sarcasm Member

So many years ago I grew out my hair and gave myself ~50 dreads using back comb and crochet, which I kept for about 5 years and can be seen here:
    https://youtu.be/_7koU-6Y40o

Eventually the cosmetology school peer pressure got to me, and before graduating I chopped my hair off, put my dreads in a bag, went platinum, then every other color.

It took me 3 years to grow my hair out long enough (because I'd keep trimming) that I could use extensions and give myself dreads again. I bought wefts of platinum human hair, colored them various shades of silver and grey, then spent all day for 3 weeks painstakingly laying in hair to give myself ~80 black to silver ombré dreads. Where my hair was still shorter in the back from my grown out bob-with-side-shave I re-attached my old dreads from my first set using a crochet needle. A lot of people thought it was weird, but at least I knew where they came from, and because I never used wax, I knew they were clean.

This takes me to now, it's been less then a year, but with the current political climate, I feel more glaring eyes and get more ignorant "cultural appropriation" comments from whites and blacks. Yesterday I layered my dreads by cutting off the silver extensions, and trimming a few of my first set extensions. I think about brushing them out on the regularly now, even tho I personally love how they look/feel and having "straight/normal" hair made me miserable...

Idk, thoughts?

Here are some pics:
    http://imgur.com/RZqGvgG

1 person likes this.
  2. bleeding_sarcasm

bleeding_sarcasm Member

Also, to answer any questions I may get... My dreads looked like dreads as soon as I finished my install, extensions help to keep them from falling out and were actually pretty easy to remove. I wash once a week with dreadhead dread shampoo, or Aveda clarifying shampoo. I never "deep clean" with baking soda or rinses or anything. I don't do any maintanance other then occasionally separating at the roots, I never crochet to maintain, and just sleep with a satin pillow case / keep them clean. I also color my new growth every other month, but even the Demi's I used for the silver never faded in ~10 months. I do have the hair around my front hairline and fringe out, and I wash that almost daily because it comes in contact with face oils. My hair is naturally very fine and very straight and even pony tails causes it to knot up like crazy. Also the thing I liked the least about my extensions what how uniform and pencil like they were. I never palm rolled either set, and now that I've cut them off the glory and attention can go to the knotty tree root dreads of my natural hair, LIKELY because human hair purchased in shops often have their cuticle stripped making them slicker then natural, remy (turned cuticle) hair.

3. fundoo

fundoo Members

I have partials, so they are hidden. I agree, I like the look and feel myself...but I fear drawing too much attention to myself...plus, it is a compromise with others around me who may not appreciate the look as much as I do. But, if I did feel strongly enough, I wouldn't be afraid. Can't rightly say what I would say or how I'd react given a confrontation. I haven't really had issues yet. But I would wear them proudly, if I felt strongly enough.

I saw the video and I love how yours look there. And how you combed out the ends...like, you really inspire me. I think that is a most appealing look! I also mean to say that I love how they look ...now? Not sure which pic was current though. I am a bit confused on the pictures.

see ya around? I am so new that yours is the first dreadie post since I joined up, so hi! :)