Sea Salt instead of Table Salt

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by David0301, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I buy a $5 container of Himalayan salt and it lasts me like a year so to be honest I really cant get too fussed about this. I'm not buying a ton of crap made in China every time I turn around like some people do, I buy from local farmers all the time, I'm growing my own garden this year. So I think I'll keep buying my once a year pink Himalayan salt, I dont think it will make a difference if I dont

I also buy imported pasta from Italy because the US douses their wheat in glyphosphate.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Well there ya go.I do too but I'm much closer to Latin America. When you give up avocados and and bananas I'll give up my pretty pink salt

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I hope you really like that its pink then :p ;) Because its not like there's no good alternative for it closer by.
    I wish it was the same for bananas with me but alas! At least there's an organic and fair trade option rather than just Dole :) Feels good to be part of the constructive and responsible consumer market (which will happily only grow in numbers). If only one person does it it may seem pointless, if a bunch do it the amount of good alternatives will only grow. If the majority does it things have really changed for the better. That way we actually CAN have nice things.

This seems a more worthy product to get transported over the ocean. Himalayan salt... not so much. But hey, I'm not insisting in the first place. Just giving my POV on it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  5. David0301

David0301 Members

i recently met a lady ( a "senorita") in the store, she was looking at the different sea-salts on the shelf, she was about to grab one package of sea-salt, she took it, she was about to turn right and go to the cash register, then all of a sudden she saw my big head up in front of her, i advised her not to take the bleached, processed sea salt, she picked the worse of all choices there is, bleached and processed, i showed her the all natural sea salt, she did not know, in fact she did not anything . :) (what we did throughout the rest of the whole day i dont wanna mention here thanks :blush:)

6. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

And Trust Me......We Don't Want To Know Either.......:unamused:

Cheers Glen.

hotwater likes this.
  7. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

You don't look a day over 29, Irm

8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I had some edamame with sea salt last night. It was reallly salty. I even mentioned it to the restaurant manager. I think they went overboard on the stuff, but anyway... I didn't really notice that much of a difference. Just the texture was different I suppose.

9. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

What you say is generally true, but like everything else, it depends on its origins and honesty of the companies who sell it.
    However, table salt is not high purity sodium chloride. That would make it far to expensive to sell. When sea salt is ground into a fine powder and the crystals are crushed, it is highly deliquescent and soon sets into an almost solid block. (That is how salt was sold in my younger days) Table salt is simply ground sea salt mixed with magnesium chloride in order to produce a powder that will flow from a dispenser and can be packed to add to fast foods.
    Although without sodium in our blood, our heart will stop dead, most of the world consume up to ten times the required amount. Therefore some people prefer table salt and in certain cases low sodium salt (higher magnesium chloride content) is advised by doctors. This is mainly for heart conditions where the sodium, potassium and calcium nodes that produce base line arrhythmia are not working correctly due to high sodium blood levels.
    I don't think that even your favorite Babylonians would want to produce medical grade sodium chloride just for you to sprinkle on your chips. LOL.

Asmodean likes this.
  10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

If you want to start another health thread, look at monosodium glutamate, the highly controversial flavor enhancer used in many prepared meats and very popular in Chinese foods.

11. morrow

morrow Visitor

Good old MSG... We missed it when they removed it, I actually buy it from an Asian supermarket. I know there are bad things about it, but surely, in small amounts, anything is ok?

I love wiki!

Monosodium glutamate - Wikipedia

12. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Sea Salt is great stuff. I noticed a difference in my blood pressure when I switched... it is lower now. But I do not use much salt... it is easily overused, and depending on the source can be contaminated.

They make vast quantities of salt from evaporation ponds in San Francisco Bay. I have seen that water, and besides being brown, it is certainly filled with all sorts of chemicals and pollutants. So I don't get that salt... I like Spanish sea salt. They have evaporation ponds in Calpe, Spain and other places... the sea water there looks far cleaner than SF Bay.

Meliai, morrow and Aerianne like this.
  13. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've had big reactions to MSG which much have been heavily applied.

Small amounts don't give me the symptoms.

morrow likes this.
  14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah that's one problem I've read about with using sea salt, it can contain lead and other ocean contaminants so you so have to be careful about where it is sourced

15. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I only use salt for cooking.

Going to pick up some Alaea salt for this awesome recipe I found for recreating a luau in a crock pot.

ZenKarma likes this.
  16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

A slight nuance about the argument in the OP: the reason salt was already so valuable in old times is not because it is so healthy or rejuvenating. It's because 1) a tiny amount already adds tons of flavor on meat (and other food), and 2) using salt was one of the best ways to preserve food.

Deidre likes this.
  17. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I prefer sea salt.

Regular table salt has a sour taste sort of?

18. ~Zen~

The question of iodine comes up with this thread... and do we need it as much as the health 'experts' say? One warning I have heard is about goiters... from lack of iodine in the diet being a reason for iodizing the commercial salt available in markets.

And is there sufficient iodine in sea salt?

My last purchase of sea salt was this:
    [​IMG]

19. ~Zen~

I also like the sea salt crystals for cleaning the bong, with 91% rubbing alcohol... the sludge just melts away as you agitate it.

I don't advise pouring the results into your septic system... it'll kill just about anything bioactive :)

Orison likes this.
  20. morrow

morrow Visitor

Salt is also good for cleaning stains and smells from your chopping boards.. it's a natural cleaner! Works on plastic and wood.. add a little lemon juice, it leaves a lovely fresh scent behind.

ZenKarma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.