Screw You Salvation Army!!!

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by Flyinglilypad, Dec 28, 2004.

1. roxycheer

roxycheer Member

I must say that i have only ever had nice, peaceful experiences with the salvation army...an old man ringing his bell sitting on his stool out the front of coles supermarket has always been kind enough to give me a smile as i walk past whether i have money to give or not. Also when my dad divorced from my mum they were kind enough to help him get back on his feet...and he was no longer married nor is he a Christain.

2. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

That certainly does not excuse his behaviour, but you can't judge an entire system that has done so much for tons of people because of the actions of a SINGLE individual. I don't understand why your marital status would be brought up either, because if you think about it, the vast majority of the people they help are unwed mothers with young children.

As far as the salvation army churches go, yeah, they're pretty fucking creepy. But I still don't think they view themselves as fighting a war against "sin and evil" as you say.....Maybe a war on poverty, or just the good old-fashioned "doing the will of god."

Either way, I'm terribly sorry you've had such bad experiences with them. I do believe it was a random thing, and I think it's terrible that it's given you such a bad impression of them.

Maybe you should try to buy a cup of coffee for a bell ringer one day. They really appreciate it. :)

3. Flyinglilypad

Flyinglilypad Member

Hm, my mother has been divorced from my father for years, and we always get help from the Salvation Army. I don't even know if they are allowed to ask you your sexual orientation, are they? And why would they 0.o? It's common sense not to mention if you're not straight, just in case there is an individual worker who is anti-gay or something.

Anyways, the Salvation Army is a good thing, regardless. They are the reason my family has a home, and they've fed us before, and made sure we had Christmas too. I got a rather nice little set of presents this year, when I've gotten nothing other times. When my family couldn't afford rent, we've gone to the homeless shelter/s, and they just help poor people.

And I don't see how bells can bother you, when most stores have bells on their doors that ring/chime when someone opens a door. You'd have to be real picky about where you shop. And they aren't any worse than your doorbell (if you have one).

And I'm sure that school couldn't have been that bad. I went to Catholic shcool and they even said being gay was okay (go figure >_<) and I'm checking out a Lutheran school on Monday.

4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Hey kitty Fabulous you are not the only one with a bad experience of church.Ok I have not been molested as child by clergy and presumably not you, but when I was 27yo I asked a church elder in a full gospel church (he was ex SA as was one of the pastors) if he had any ideas on why I had not met anyone special in my life.He did not ask me any relevant questions like did I have a work ethic, was I diligent,did I keep my place of abode clean and tidy, was I fair and honest dealing with others, did I have any sense of social justice, did I have a true respect of the rest of mankind, did I try to see things from other peoples' perspective? The elder finished up our private meeting by saying that all I was interested was sex.
    " Not at all.What about companionship?"
    Oh , our,um , well yes".
    I continued to attend for a few weeks. One of the advantages of being single is that you have time to go in for deep thought.It gradually dawned on me that this guy had absolutely NO IDEA.I then used Scripture to justify not to attend Waverley Christian Fellowship in Melbourne.
    The blind cannot lead the blind (Luke 6:39)

In retrospect it seems to me that Waverley Christian Fellowship (now called City Church) in Melbourne was just another way of making money.From what I could see there was zero good Samaritan work, they did not even donate money to other charities.They make an interesting contrast to the Salvation Army.It is paradoxical that us hippies -who may or may not be Christian- value human relationships more than toys and here is a church who professes to follow the Bible and astutely study it but largely miss the main point of it - to love your fellow human beings.

5. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

It's a bit off topic, but I gotta say I HATE churches like that. When I was young I attended a church with my dad every sunday. On the outside on the wall they have a big message with the name of the church and beside it it says "where everybody is somebody." Ha, that couldn't be and farther from the truth! They were supposed to have a christian band play there once, but they turned the band away when the preacher found out that the drummer had hair that came down to his *GASP!* collar. Nope, no evil long haired sinful drummers in our church!

We stopped going, but we've moved into a house in a small neighborhood right behind that same church. My step mom is a very ill person, over the past 5 years she's had 2 strokes, cancer, and now has multiple sclerosis. She had a sweet little dog named sammy who meant everything to her....he was her baby. One day he managed to get out of the house and follow another dog up the road. When we went looking for him, there were several people in the parking lot of the church who were just coming out from their wednesday night meeting, and several of them told us the had seen her dog, and one of the other church goers picked him up and put him in his car. Couldn't get a name for the dog-napper though. The next day, we passed out flyers at the church with sammy's picture on it, and suddenly no one recalled knowing anything about it. And the people who run the church were very bitchy and rude about it.

Thou shalt not steal is one of the ten commandments. These assholes wouldn't let a guy with shoulder length hair play music praising god into their beloved church, but yet they'd go out of their way to protect the identity of a thief who they first admitted had taken her dog.

It's nice to see they've got their priorities straight. [​IMG]

6. V-Agent

V-Agent Member

Hell hath no fury like a corporation scorned!

Man I'm so glad we don't have Walmarts in Australia *touch wood*

7. Flyinglilypad

Flyinglilypad Member

You better beat the shit out of that wood. I know they have Walmart in Canada and I think Mexico? Australia's probably next.

8. V-Agent

V-Agent Member

I'm flogging it for all it's worth.

Woolworth's all the way!

9. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

The Salvation Army did and does discriminate against gay people. They fought hard against a state that adopted job protection for homosexuals, the SAME job protection enjoyed by women, blacks, etc. All in all, what they want is the right to fire and not hire an individual based solely on sexual orientation, in the name of "religion."

Target does not allow the bell ringers, or anyone else to collect money outside of their stores. This was not a sales ploy, hoping people would spend an extra 35 cents inside. This is a policy, no soliciting/begging. If I owned a store, I would not allow vagrants or bell ringers to harrass my customers. If someone wants to donate, they are free to do so. Salvation Army can get a permit to conduct business on the sidewalk (like a street vendor), or an individual can go to or send a donation to them directly.

10. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

quozie mo doe rang a bell . wonder if worked for da sally army. hmmmmmmmm peace man

11. WynterFrost

WynterFrost Short Bus Rider

why would you put screw you to that store...when they helped my sister who has one child and another on the way...they got her through christmas...they brought her food and blankets....bought her daughter a new winter coat...they was so nice...i love them....they are really nice...you should be saying SCREW YOU TARGET! i hate that place i went in there to buy my secret santa gift and they followed me around the store..now thats not very nice is it? here in you are saying that target is pissed cause people arent spending there money in store? what they was just in target wasnt they ...that means they bought something didnt they? why is target bitching....cause they are assholes...greedy that doesnt no that there are hungry and cold little children out there that need that just a little bit of money....i know that a little 50cents here and there isnt that much...but damn....there was no need to banned them...and for you you bought a coat from them bastards! you know could have atleast donated your old coats to the poor...i didnt hear that in there....maybe i missed it...but that is really something that i know about and before you start in you should check it out.....they saved my sisters christmas ....oh and well my niece is 1 yrs old ....now think about not haveing a winter coat for christmas when you are that little ...your body freezes more...and here you bought a coat from them....what about the people you can help? target needs to get off there asses and care alittle more about whats in the world today then there stock prices....
    -love-wynter

12. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

If people want proof here it is
    "The Army regards the origins of a homosexual orientation as a mystery and does not regard a homosexual disposition as blame-worthy in itself or rectifiable at will. Nevertheless, whilst we are not responsible for what we are, we are accountable for what we do; and homosexual conduct, like heterosexual conduct, is controllable and may be morally evaluated therefore in the light of scriptural teaching.

For this reason such practices, if unrenounced, render a person ineligible for Salvation Army soldiership, in the same way that unrenounced heterosexual misconduct is a bar to soldiership. The Army recognises the strength of feeling about sexual identity, and the difficulty many find in expressing this identity in keeping with scriptural standards.

However, it believes firmly in the power of God’s grace to enable the maintenance of a lifestyle pleasing to Him, including a lifestyle built upon celibacy and self-restraint for those who will not or cannot marry. No one who yields to the Lordship of Christ and who undertakes by his grace to live in accordance with the teaching of Scripture is excluded from Christian fellowship and service in the Army."

I got this from
    http://www.salvationarmy.org.nz/SITE_Default/SITE_about/Positional_Statements/Homosexuality_OLD.asp

Thats the salvation armys official stance on Homosexuality
    -Plus I don't think target was in the wrong. There are many other places that had the salvation army banned around here. Malls for the most part. Walmart was the only place I saw them with their kettle'n'bells.

With all things said though, salvation army gets most of their money from rich upperclass kids buying their secondhand clothes, because they think its "cool" anyways. They are a very helpful organazation, but they have their problems too.

13. shhhhh im talking

shhhhh im talking Member

14. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

Thank you for so proudly flaunting your ignorance.
    For the people who cant read on an 8th grade level, I will sum it up.

The salvation army says that if you practice homosexual habits, they wont help you. There ya go.

15. WynterFrost

WynterFrost Short Bus Rider

simply dont tell them your sexual prefrence ...lol its non of their damn business

16. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

What about homeless gay couples? Im sure if the organazation suspects anyone of being gay, they boot them. They function like a giant baptist church that gives away more free stuff.

17. PhotoGra1

Its none of their business whether someone is out or not...You are suggesting that homosexuals should stay "in the closet." The answer is not promoting secrecy or ignorance. What you are suggesting erases 20 years of progress...

18. PhotoGra1

Target is one of the more generous corporations. For starters, a percent of EVERY sale is donated to local schools, helping CHILDREN!

Not to sound harsh, by why should we help your sister when she already has one child she can't provide a coat for, and has another on the way?

How about personal responsibility and self sufficiency?

Target has every right to not allow begging on their premises. Would you prefer that Salvation Army have carte blanche rights to solicit money anywhere they want? Should Target allow EVERY charity to ring bells at their front door? Shouldn't a business owner have the right to make these policies?

People CAN donate to Salvation Army with or without Target...

19. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

I simply abhor religion -- all types -- so I won't give anything to something that helps to foster religion in any form. Therefore, I'm glad that Target won't let a bigot-religion organization like The Salvation Army beg outside their stores. Fuck 'em, I say.

And for what it's worth, I shop at Target when it's convenient, because of the big retail stores (Walmart, Kmart, Target), they are the ONLY one in which I have never been told I could not shop there barefoot (which is how I prefer to be). :)

We all make our choices.

-Jeffrey

20. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

I don't mean to be rude, but it is very very troubling to me to read your posts when they evidence a SERIOUS inability to write according to correct rules of grammar and usage. I suggest sincerely that you should show samples of your writing to an English teacher at your school and ask for help in shaping up your knowledge of English grammar. Doing so will help you in the long run. It will enable you to write things that people will take seriously. You do want to be taken seriously, especially when you get to be an adult, don't you?

People will not take you seriously if you, for example, write a letter to your newspaper, or to Time magazine, or to your congressman, if you are mistaking "then" for "than"; "them" for "those"; you never use an apostrophe (and may not know how); and you say things like "they wasn't" instead of "they weren't"... Writing (and speaking) this way will BRAND you as UNINTELLIGENT whether you are or not, among people of education. This can cause you problems in life, and you have it in your power to avoid such problems by getting the tutelage you desperately need now.

Good luck.

-Jeffrey