Science proves modern music sucks.

Discussion in 'Music' started by MeAgain, Jun 26, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Okay sort of proves it.
    I ran into this on Youtube.
    This is a really interesting piece, worthy of listening to.

It includes examples.

2. I literally can't even begin to explain my loathing for modern music. I HATE it. It's absolute rubbish.

I seriously can't even believe some of what I hear. I try to justify straight up pop music by saying, "Oh, it's for teenage girls. They're trying to understand their emotions and this is kind of educational for them." Okay. Then I turn to a rock station and it's so bad...SO BAD...I'm speechless. I have heard music that is so bad, I can't believe it's not some kind of intentional torture or a joke for me to have to listen to it. It's literally that wrong and bad.

I thought Nickelback was bad. I'm hearing shit that is even worse now.

I don't understand. I wish somebody would say it ain't so.

IMO, truly the worst period of music in world history. In the entirety of human history. I don't believe music this bad has ever been produced before the modern era.

A culture's music says a lot about its people, and all I can say is that I'm surprised most people can do ordinary things...seriously amazed that people can do ordinary things like...put bread in a toaster. They probably can't even. Seriously. We're in some kind of technological dark ages.

I would rather listen to music created by robots at this point, if science can do that.

tumbling.dice and MeAgain like this.
  3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

It is all our fault though really, no one pays for music anymore, at least like they used to, what did we expect?

guerillabedlam and GLENGLEN like this.
  4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

well you can't base it on what you hear on the radio. they exist specifically to play only the worst music available.

5. Why is it that they play such God awful music, though? I don't understand. It seems like the radio would be an excellent means of hearing good music I might like to purchase.

God, what's that one song...about being medicated...

LOL At least it makes me laugh because it's so fucking awful. But I've heard even worse. I've heard...1000X worse!

At work in the US it's pretty typical that you are forced to listen to the radio while you work, for some unknown reason. I guess it's just better to have the radio on (it seems) than off. But you're working some garbage job and at the same time listening to this...lol...it's comical really. Theory of a Deadman, eh? Whiniest bunch of fucking babies I've ever heard in my life.

6. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Modern music has no melody.

7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Has science proven The Rolling Stones best band ever yet?

ChoosChins likes this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think heavy metal gets better, as in the music and the noise.

9. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Science is still examining Keith Richards to see how he can survive all the drugs. It will help medicine.

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The computer algorithm had established they were the best band until this stuff came out...

Then they fell substantially

11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i haven't really figured out why they insist on such awful music. i think it has something to do with risk aversion, but i'm not sure why music that everyone knows is terrible is really less risky than music that may or may not be terrible.

when i've worked mindless labor types of jobs, i always loved having the radio on. but, talk radio was always the way to go.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Radio lol. Same 15 songs every hour. Radio is absolute trash, and those announcers OMG they come up with more shit in a day than I can.

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

It does NOT take science to prove modern music sucks...

Just listen to some of the shyt... that'll prove it to ya, right there.

hotwater likes this.
  14. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think there is something phenomenal happening in music today, but that there's something to be said for both. I don't like the way that guy comes across. And that's coming from someone who can say they probably listen to more music than most people. He criticizes Lady Gaga, but I was listening to her the other day in the car thinking "Man this is good". I think it was "Bad Romance" that was on. That's probably one of her best songs, and her latest album isn't as good, but still... It just doesn't ring true to say that today's music isn't any good. I think Katy Perry is talented too. It's a real trip the way you can get into music. Like I was listening to this Fatboy Slim album that I didn't like before. Looking at it from the perspective of an Ableton owner (as the guy bags on drum machines from Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" which is a really playful track), his music is complex and harmonious and all of these good things. It would be really difficult for me as a guitarist or as an Ableton person (whatever you call people who own this software...) to reproduce what I'm hearing Gaga doing, or Fatboy Slim, or Robin Thicke.

EDIT: I stopped watching the video at the timbre section I think...

Noserider likes this.
  15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Producers

soulcompromise likes this.
  16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Ok, If you say so... Lmao. I'm not a producer! (laughing)

17. This is my fight song. Take back my rights song.

18. Is it just me...or...

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I suppose it's somewhat fair analysis given the constraints of only popular music from the respective times but I think studies like this fail due to nuance. Such as the whole DIY and indie phenomena originating with punk, to hip hop, to electronic music, to rock which makes such an analysis kind of difficult to make total generalizations between Music in it's totality, thus rather arbitrary. The guy mentions bands like The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix and The Kinks, there were popular bands far less ambitious from the 60's and 70's. Such as...

I wouldn't like listen to this song frequently but as far as radio songs go I liked this song upon first listen and prefer it to the one above.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Meliai likes this.
  20. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Abba wasn't from the sixties.