School Shooting in Broward County, FL

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Feb 14, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

1. No doubt, in hindsight, more could have been done.
    But I will point out this section from your link:
    Here's another side to the story.
    2. So you may be mistaken? Or you're convinced this guy was too old for service and a troublemaker?
    3. Well that solves the whole problem. 4 days of training and everything's fine. Is that how long swat teams and Navy Seals train? So, introduce an additional 718,000 guns into our schools at a cost of $718 million to $1 billion dollars, give them four days training (good for the next 35 years) and that's it!
    5/6. $300 times 718,000 (Trump's 20%) = $215,400,000. That's one training session. You don't think we'd need follow up training, some teachers work for over 35 years? When I taught I was required to amass a certain number of credits every year I was employed just to keep my instructional license, let alone a license to kill. Plus you left out insurance both personal and district, law fees, ammunition, weapon cost, storage, record keeping, drills, medical bills, etc.
    When I coached we spent days, months, and years in training just to become competent in a sport, and you want 4 days to kill someone. No wonder the police screw up.

soulcompromise likes this.
  2. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

The reason why they should be excluded is because suicide rates aren't dependant on the rate of gun ownership. Japan has virtually no privately owned guns and they have a higher suicide rate than we do. When Australia implemented it's mandatory buy back program, suicide by firearms were replaced by suicide by others means. The overall suicide rate hardly changed.
    Actually there is. It's against federal law to buy a gun from another state directly. If you want to buy a gun from another state, the FFL from the other state must send the firearm to the FFL in your state where you have to go through a background check. The firearm must comply with your state laws otherwise it's no deal. Even private sellers can't sell to anyone outside the state.

3. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

I may be mistaken about how long he was on. I know he was om the force for a long time and was on his way to retirement.

You don't have to be a SWAT officer to hold in place and point a gun at the door. In fact modern police training is when shots are being fired, you don't wait for SWAT. And really, the shooter usually isn't some former SEAL either. He's usually some untrained punk with low self esteem and usually either ends himsef, run, or surrender when confronted by armed resistence.

The reason why it takes 4 days is because the material taught is rather simple. Day one will be focused on the legal and moral aspect, and the rest of the days will be for force on force scenarios.