School Shooting in Broward County, FL

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

Which is irrelevant. If I told you that the bumpstock wasn't designed for anything else but a fun time at the range, you would be saying the same thing I'm telling you now. The original intent of an object does not come into play on how it is implemented.

Not necessarily. We are one of the few countries that put emphasis on private transportation. The EU and everybody else does pretty well with public transportation. Why can't we be like them?

Except for the tax code, there are more firearm regulations than any other set of laws. Also I like to point out that gun deaths are actually on the decline as well.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

We should be more like them. I hate America's car culture. I also hate America's gun culture.

Two seperate topics. The argument seems to be that we cant start talking about guns unless we do something about cars first. This isnt a logical argument.

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You already have to be 21 to buy a handgun so I'm not following you.

4. Maccabee

I do this for many reasons. To keep me out of an echo chamber, to challenge and sharpen my debate and research skills, the slim chance of convincing lurkers by a compelling argument, the slimmer chance of changing my opponent's stance (however slim of a chance that is), and to fight what I view as inaccuracies in a subject I love.

For this shooting the following:

1. The FBI and local law enforcement need to step up their game when they have probable cause to consider so.eone a threat. They had several chances of intervining but didn't.

2. Law enforcement agencies need to stop putting their almost retired and troublemakers in these positions and instead put their best officers in them. The whole reason why they have SROs in the first place is to prevent these types of incidents.

3. Allow teachers and staff who want to be armed be able to do so with training. It doesn't take but four days out of the year to teach these volunteers basic room clearing, clearing corners, holding a position, moving as a group, and communicating with law enforcement.

4. Have active shooter drills as often as they have fire drills or in the olden days nuclear drills. I lived in Colorado for a while and when I was in school we had tornado drills.

5. Have outdoor access to every classroom.

6. Have metal detectors.

soulcompromise likes this.
  5. Maccabee

You do from an FFL. Also I'm against having to be 21 to buy a handgun as well. At least under tge current system legal adults have some 2nd amendment rights. I'm not in favor of stripping that away. Besides, do you honestly think a crazy 19 year old will mot be crazy at 21?

6. Maccabee

The argument is that first off, it's silly to say we can't ban cars because we need them as a counter argument to people getting killed by cars. Secondly the argument I'm only pointing out the hypocrisy of those who ignore the fact that we don't necessary need cars to say that we don't need firearms.

7. Maccabee

Well, you're going to have a tough time eliminating all firearms as there are 400 million known firearms in the hands of those who say "come and take it."

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I don't think it would prevent all mass shootings, no. but it may prevent some. It would be a start. It would give someone two extra years to seek mental health treatment before doing something rash.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

No one is suggesting a total ban on guns, only restrictions. As i've already pointed out, strides have been made over the last couple of decades to make cars safer as well as more regulated. I fail to see the hypocrisy in suggesting we do the same for guns.

Also might be worth noting there are certain cars that are not street legal in the US. Sort of the same as suggesting we make certain types of guns very, very hard to get

10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

1. The shooter did nothing illegal until he did.
    2. How do know this and so what?
    3. 4 days!
    4. They do.
    5. More entry points huge expense.
    6. Hugh expense, must run anytime school bldg. open even summer. Does nothing to prevent outside shooter.

11. MeAgain

!

12. MeAgain

In 10 years time we put men on the moon.

13. Maccabee

The columbine shooters weren't even legal adults and yet thet had someone straw purchase firearms for them. Also if we're to use your logic, we should raise the age of driving. A few more years waiting to get behind the wheel will allow for more mature heads to prevail.

14. Maccabee

Again, gun regulations already exceed all other set of regulations except the tax code. I've yet to see anyone prevented from buying a car because he was a convicted felon.

Usually they aren't street legal either due to physically harming the road, physically can't negotiate everyday roads, or politics. aware not aware of any illegal cars that doesn't fit into one of thse catagories. It's not the same as banning an AR15 because it looks like a military rifke yet keeping the Ruger mini 14 because it looks like a hunting rifle even though both fure the same rounds with the same function.

15. Maccabee

Not according to this article.

Shooter could have faced charges before massacre — had cops done their job, experts say

How do I know? Because I work closely with law enforcement. So what? The SRO stayed outsude as the shooting happened. Law enforcement in the state of Florida and most other states are trained first on scene, first to engage. Doesn't matter if you have backup or not. The SRO was on the force for 30 years if I'm not mistaken and he was most likely put in that position becayse he was too old to work the streets.

Yeah. When I went through the police academy, out of the whole six months I've gone through it, they only dedicated 4 days to force on force scenarios like active shooter. It really isn't all that hard to win in an active shooter event especially if you decide to shelter in place as a staff member. You can find most of the stuff we were trained on online.

Good.

If expens is the issue, then allow teachers who want to be armed to carry. Looking online, I found reputable training classes for civilians that only cost around $300 per person. And what they teach is basically what they taught me in the academy.

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Oh yeah, that straw purchase? Through an unlicensed seller. Meaning the buyer didn't have to go through a background check . lets go ahead and close that loophole.

Anyways the goal of gun control is to reduce the number of guns in circulation because a higher rate of gun ownership correlates to a higher rate of gun violence. Raising the age restriction is just one of many solutions. I'm not claiming it would prevent all mass shootings. It would have prevented this most recent one though .

I could care less about your car argument, that isn't the topic here. You seem very passionate about increasing safety and regulation on vehicles, maybe start a thread about it? It has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

17. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

The funny part is these are the same people who want to lower the voting age to 16 or less because of school shootings. On one hand, 19 year olds are reckless and stupid, but 16 year olds are smart and informed enough to vote.

Things that make you go hmmmm

Maccabee likes this.
  18. Maccabee

Even if their friend got the gun from Tactical R Us, they would've still gotten the guns. A straw purchase is a felony, no matter where you buy it from.
    That stat includes suicides. States with strict gun laws actually have slightly higher gun homicides. Not say that there's a correlation, but it dies prove the stat wrong. What also proves the stat wrong is the fact that gun sales a CCW permits are on the rise while violent crime and gun crime are on the decline.

Without evidence of such a law working in the pass, you can't claim that.
    I'm only pointing out the hypocrisy of the outrage.

19. Kerri

Kerri Members

The main point is it’s totally impossible to imagine anything besides more guns being the answer. Of course any sort of gun control will just mean more people get shot by the less guns. What we’re doing now is working great. Let’s keep that up

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yes, suicides are a concern too. 50% of all suicides are by gun. I see no reason to exclude self inflicted violence when talking about gun violence.

Local laws do not prove the stat wrong. Nothing is stopping people in jurisdictions with strict gun control from driving 50 miles down the road to buy a gun.