School Shooting in Broward County, FL

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

More children dies from car crashes and pools than accidental gun shots.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Well, that makes the gun accidents forgivable then...

3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Also, mustn't overlook the deliberate gun shots.

4. Asmodean

I'm not sure why we take Maccabee still serious on this matter.

5. Kerri

Kerri Members

Ummm, yeah that’s not the same. We’ve decided as a nation that the luxury of pools and the convenience of cars is worth the price. Do you agree that the freedom for the country’s gun fetish that allows weak men to feel strong is worth 18 school shootings so far in 2018?

Furthermore - there are all kinds of restrictions on cars - particularly the activities statistically most likely to cause accidents. There’s laws and education and outreach programs and advertising to curb those dangerous activities. You okay with that same effort towards banning lil men’s gun toys?

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Car manufacturers continue to innovate in order to make cars progressively safer each year. Laws have changed since I was a kid to make cars safer for children with car seat and seat belt laws. The age in which one can obtain a permit and license and drive at night has changed since I was a kid.

The difference between gun safety and car safety is progress is actually being made to make cars safer.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Noserider, MeAgain and tumbling.dice like this.
  7. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

More people die from bee stings from shark attacks, but I don't jump in the water with a bloody wound.

8. Maccabee

No it doesn't but it does put things in perspective. Why aren't we making a big deal about pool drownings?

9. Maccabee

Which are 12,000 homicides by firearms each year. A third of how many die from car accidents.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

As a parent I'll answer this one.

It is completely within my power to prevent a pool death by using proper flotation devices until my child learns to swim and then watching him very closely after he learns to swim

Whereas I am powerless to prevent some maniac from gunning us down in a public place

The lack of control and power is precisely why people make a big deal about gun deaths. Gun control is a way of taking control of the situation.

11. Maccabee

First place, more people defend themselves with furearms than those who use them for harm. Why are you willing to accept the rusk of a luxury but not something that saved the lives of thousands every year? Secondly, there are actually only 8 school shootings where someone had the intent of harming another person. There are even less shootings where the intent was to shoot as many people as possible.

There are more firearm laws than any other form of laws except the tax code. So we do have many restrictions on firearms. In fact it's actually more difficult buy a firearm than to be able to drive. Also listen to yourself. On one hand you say we have car restrictions on dangerous activities while in the same breath you want to ban items.

12. Maccabee

Actually no, you don't. You may have greatly reduced his chances of drowning but people have drowned with floatation devices.

Again, no you're not. If you are armed and trained, you have at least equal footing with the maniac.

And what would've stopped this shooting?

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I wouldnt take my eyes off my child for a second in a body of water and I'm a nervous parent so I generally dont move further away than an arms length, so yes, I do have control and power in that situation.

I'm not armed and trained and I have no desire to be. And the good guy with a gun myth has been debunked time and time again. There was a good guy with a gun in this shooting, remember?

Increasing the age to buy a fire arm to 21 would have prevented this shooting. He was 19.

14. Asmodean

Greatly reducing the chances. Not only on such locations of course, but everywhere.

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

We've gone through the differences between cars and weapons already..Cars are primarily vehicles of transportation that can kill people incidentally. Our economy depends on motorized transportation. Motor vehices are so important for transportation that we are willing to continue to allow them on the road. Lately, terrorists have been using them to kill people, and if that continues and escalates, we may have to consider measures to reduce that risk. Given the importance of the vehicles, those measures would most likely include more intensive background checks for operation, possibly physical barriers in areas where crowds congregate, and vigorous prosecution of terrorists, etc. Firearms are intended primarily for killing-people and animals. The case for the necessity of having assault rifles for hunting and self-defense has been fully explored. But let's look at the car analogy a little further. The chances of dying in a crash in a late-model vehicle fell by more than a third in three years during 2012-15 as a result of safety design features, like passive restraints. .Seat belt use is on the rise. Laws, education, and technology have increased seat belt use from 11% in 19812 to nearly 85% in 20103, saving hundreds of thousands of lives. Laws and safety regulations have much to do with this. Automobile manufacturers fought them tooth and nail. Maybe we should consider more laws and regulations for firearms?

soulcompromise likes this.
  16. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The only thing we can say that would have completely made this shooting impossible to commit is the lack of access to a gun by the shooter. Once he has a gun the possibility, however small, of him using it to injury someone arises.

In other words you have to have a gun to shoot someone with a gun, if you don't have a gun you can't shoot someone with a gun.

17. Kerri

Kerri Members

Good point. The school shootings are fine. It’s just a handful of children. At least weak men get to feel tough. If more people had more guns i’m totally sure we’d all be much safer. Clearly the problem is not enough guns

soulcompromise likes this.
  18. Maccabee

I didn't said that you don't have control, I said you can't completely eliminate the risk.

Good guy with a gun does save lives. As for this instance, the SRO was a coward and the three responding deputies were ordered to stay outside. There are many cases of armed citizens and officers stopping mass shootings.

No it wouldn't. For one thing you can't deny a legal adult his constitutional rights without due process of law. If he's old enough to join the military, then he's old enough to have a firearm. If you want to raise the age of firearm ownership then raise the legal age. You can't smoke, join the military, vote, have sex, or get out of your mom's basement until you're 21. For another, if he can't get one legally, he'll get one illegally. Ask any cop that worked the bad part of town how many under aged kids he caught with a gun.

19. Maccabee

How so?

20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Mac, your position seems flawed. What are you trying to accomplish? It feels like you're trying to change somebody's opinion. You know darn well we don't side with you on most of this stuff. Why don't we try to focus on something we can agree on.

What are some of the controls you think are a good measure?