Scared to go to the gyno..

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Rainbow Tears, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Rainbow Tears

Rainbow Tears Member

I know it sounds lame but Iam REALLY affraid to go... I'am long over do. I'm affraid I might have something wrong because I have a huge lump on my groin (I think thats what you called it) + some sexual positions feel like I'am being stabbed inside of me and ALSO I often get cramps in the vagina area. (not period cramps they are much more painful) I also need to get checked for breast cancer. I just don't want a stranger seeing that part of me...

:( I'am not brave...

2. alissamelon

alissamelon Member

dont worry, its not so bad. and it doesnt hurt that much, especially compared to the pain youre feeling now. the doctors usually make you feel very comftorable too. good luck!

3. Brighid

Brighid Member

Maybe you would feel more comfortable with a certified nurse midwife looking after you? She can do your well-woman gynecology and prescribe medication if needed. And if you think there's something wrong, it's all the more reason to go! Almost every female complaint can be treated 100% with early intervention. The lump on your groin may be an inguinal hernia, or a swollen lymph node from an infection that will heal with antibiotics.
    Don't risk your future fertility, it's really not so bad. Bring a trusted friend with you to hold your hand!

4. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I know how nervous you must be. When I was in 8th grade, I had a lump under my armpit, turns out it was just a swollen lymph node. But, our doctor (male) had to check my breasts for anything abnormal. Talk about embarassed! But, your health is not something to be embarassed about. You may feel more comfortable with a woman doctor, I know I do. Just remember, they are professionals and they've seen it all. Just close your eyes while you're being examined. It helps. It's like, if you don't see them looking at you, it's not so bad. Just remember to relax. That makes everything go much smoother. Good luck, sweetie.

5. LMoffet1

LMoffet1 Member

hey hon, I feel your pain. But it's not that bad! Both of my parents are gynos, and they do it everyday, so it's nothing new to them, just you. My doctor is a female and she makes me feel very comfortable. If you think about it this way, wouldn't it be better to know what's going on with you than sit and dwell on it? It may be totally harmless! Good luck, and let me know if you want me to ask my parents anything about your situation. You can PM me or something like that.

6. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Okay, Rainbow, this is going to sound harsh, but I can't help it...

If you have cancer, you will end up in the hospital and LOTS of doctors will be seeing "that part of you", rather than just one doctor for a brief exam. What would you rather have, someone who has seen so many vaginas that they don't care what yours looks like, looking at you, or to be dead?

Suck it up and get to the gyno...

7. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

I'd have to say that I think people really over due "well patiant" visits. I have never been to a "real" gyno before, just midwives, it's much more pleasant. I know more than one women who have be molested during check-ups with their gyno. It happens more than you'd think.

However, this is not a the same thing!!!! If there is any doubt (which obviously there is here) you need to go! You can't risk it! I know it's no fun, and you don't want to be that intemate with someone who is not your lover, and you shouldn't have to unless something is wrong - and something is wrong here!
    I would go to a midwife, and take along a friend for support!

I'm sending you good, peaceful, healing vibes!

8. teepi

teepi living my dream

I am the worlds BIGGEST baby about the dentist...I called my dentists office before I ever went there and told the nurse my problem..they let me come in for a brief visit to meet him a few days before my appointment, and he prescribed me some valium to relax me while I waited...how cool is that??

Anyway, maybe you could go in just for a few minutes before the day of your appt. just to meet.
    And I go to a nurse mid-wife.
    Years ago I started going to one and she was the one who helped me with my son's home birth.
    I find it alot more comfortable talking with someone who can physically understand where I'm coming from...

Also...you are totally stressing over this...and stress is so bad for anything that ails you,please take care of yourself,
    teepi

9. Rainbow Tears

Rainbow Tears Member

I made an appointment! I'm glad I posted this because I got some great advice! I will just turn my head and I would rather suck it up and get it over with if it might be cancer or affect the possibility of me having children.. I'm still going to be nervouse as hell but they have seen a million vaginas Im sure mine wont be anything special..

Skyler

10. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Yay, Rainbow! I'm so glad to hear that you are going to the Dr.... You'll see, it's not that big of a deal and just a few minutes of discomfort, to prevent serious illness, is worth it. :)

11. Moonjava

Moonjava Senior Member

My first trip to the gyno was about 4 months ago. I thought something was wrong with me, too, but it turned out to be nothing. And to think, I worried myself sick for months.. maybe even a year or more!!! Girlfriend, you just have to take that first step and make an appointment. You'll see that it's not so bad. Think of it like a throat doctor looking into your throat... it's just what they do. Only in this case, it's not your throat. Good luck and God bless!
    Peace,
    Moonjava