(Scared!)Mom's in hospital

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by AmericanTerrorist, Jun 3, 2013.

1. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

She's the 2nd family member today.. first my mom came to get me to finally get the car and my brother's wife called-she was going to the hospital in what she thought was in labor. They monitored her for a while and it was a false alarm so no baby born today..
    then my mom started texting me after that and her words didn't make sense half the time-like she was drunk and she doesn't drink. she was saying she "couldn't breathe, was dizzy, exhausted, etc".... then she was saying she made a doctor apt for 8 pm.
    I texted her at 7:30 and 8:10 pm telling her to call me after the doc. (for some reason I was worried)... at 8:15 pm she calls me...and she said she was pulling into the hospital. apparently she went to doc, explained her symptoms and doc couldn't hear anything in her lungs and because of nothing obviously being wrong and also because her family history (sister died at age 40 of massive blood clot to the heart in a grocery store) and mother died at age 66 of heart disease. both non smokers, etc.
    In any case, she's now at the hospital and waiting to get a cat scan. she said doc wasn't super worried but he was a little worried for those reasons that it could be a blood clot in the lungs or to the lungs or whatever. and he told her not to leave the hospital til she gets the results...
    so... she's gonna call me later tonight when she finds out.
    dan left with the car and cason's now sleeping so I can't go in there.. but if it ends up being bad i'll have either d come home and take us or my brother pick us up.
    i'm just....really scared... this is my mommy, ya know? and it could be serious. :(

2. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I just have a not good feeling about this at all.

Keep trying to tell myself the doctor was probably just being over precautious but... i'm really not calm about this at all.
    As soon as dan calls me on the cell and gives me my brother's cell number from it I'm gonna call him and try to make plans in case I need to get over there..

3. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

I'm sorry I hope it works out. Do what you gotta do.

4. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

It's just... gonna be really long sitting here waiting and not knowing what is going on..

5. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Yeah the worse feeling is not knowing and not being able to do anything about it.

6. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

yes, it could be serious, but she's probably safe since she's in the hospital. If she's got a clot I'm guessing that they probably have some clot busting drugs and may put her on some regular medication.

sorry that this is happening and I hope the everything is ok.

maybe plan to spend some extra time with her when she gets out of the hospital.

we all know that no one lives forever, so it's good to do all the things with and say all the things to the people that we love that we want to before they go away.

7. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

you may be able to text her while she's in the hospital

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

It always seems like its going to be a long time waiting/not knowing... but you're going to have to calm yourself somehow so the stress doesn't make you sick. The results are going to be the same no matter the outcome... worrying isn't going to change that fact. I'm not being cold or insensitive... just being practical.

We are all hoping for the best for her and you...

9. Lodog

Lodog ¿

It's good to be scared. Just for the feeling afterward that everything's gonna be OK.

10. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

Sounds like she may have just been having a severe panic attack. Those were my exact symptoms when I had to go to the ER during a panic attack. I couldn't breathe, I was dizzy/light-headed, drowsy, tachycardic, etc. It lasted for hours, but I was fine.

At any rate, try not to worry until you actually know there's something to worry about, because it won't help matters and will only send you into a similar state of panic.

As hard as it may be, just try to stay positive until you know more.

11. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yea, I keep telling myself that at least she's in the hospital if it is that.
    Just....really hoping it is not that. I'm not ready to lost my mom yet. There are 3 ppl that I couldn't stand to lose more than anyone else...hubby, son, mom.

oh and thanks everyone for your replies.
    panic... yea I mean those are very similar symptoms to the panic attack that brought me to the hospital years ago too..but... my mom- she just doesn't seem prone to any type of anxiety. but, who knows?

breathing right now. :)

12. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

This

13. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I'm, I think as calm as I can be right now. Considering. Be much calmer (hopefully) though when I talk to her again.. and I do know I won't be able to sleep tonight until then.

14. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Bless your heart. This is a very difficult thing, especially not to be able to be there. The good news is that her physician didn't hear anything or find anything obviously wrong.

Lots of things can cause the symptoms your mom was having. It could be as simple as some kind of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.

Try not to worry. These things take forever in the hospital. They never, ever get in any kind of hurry.

Don't borrow trouble as the saying goes. Don't imagine the worst. Go on what you do know so far and that's that she checked out fine at the doctor's office.

We're all right here waiting with you. :grouphug:

15. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

16. tubahead

tubahead Member

I am sorry you have to go through this. Having gone through it, it is something that I wish on no one. The best advice I can give is to go see her as soon as you can. It always helped when my Mom has to go to the hospital. There is nothing worse than the waiting and if you are there, it feels like you are a bit more active it what is going on and can ask questions. If she has to stay, there will be lots of doctors and nurses coming in and out. Make sure to ask lots of questions and don't let them leave until you have the answers.

17. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

You're mother is in good hands, so stay calm and wait for the results. Think positive.

These tests usually take quite some time.
    With your family history, the doctors will probably want to keep her overnight for observation, regardless of what the results show.

As Aerianne said: we are all right here.

18. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Thanks LG and Tuba :)

Well, I'm gonna call my brother just because I haven't talked to him since before I heard from her and I wanna see it's he's talked to her, if he'd be available to drive me if anything becomes urgent and his idea of things.

and not going in now because since she hasn't even gotten the results and d has only vehicle at work and c is sleeping....will go in if anything changes for the worse, and yes, if she has to stay in hosp., I will go in...

19. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

well, my brother just called me back and he pretty much said he also talked to her before she went in and he's trying not to worry too much cause she's in the best place and it'll be okay either way and he'll call me if he talks to her first and just to relax and wait... anyways, nothing I didn't already know but it was nice to talk to him and I could tell by his voice he was, concerned but not totally freaking out/worried and it was pretty calming.. so, yep. shall see.

20. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That's good.