scallies/chavs

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Jaz Delorean, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

me and tom had a revelation, we were in Kwiksave yesterday jus shopping round, and 4 scallies came in, they instantly picked up on the fact that i had dreadlocks and tom had an afro, and we had holy baggy clothes...yunno what it's like...
    so the conversation goes a bit like this:

scally: haha, are you a mosher?
    me: no...
    scally: what are you?
    me: i'm a hippie! :p
    tom: i'm a tom
    scally: wow a hippie, you're a hippie?
    me: yes...so? what are you?

then this was the bit that made us freakout...

scally: i'm a scally!
    they KNOW?!!!!
    this could change the way everybody thinks!!

now, as you know i'm all one for everybody being equal and living in peace and harmony, i'd never pick a fight in any situation, and i'd much rather that we found a way to live other than seperating ourselves into groups and being at eachothers necks all the time...but i did not know scallies knew they were scallies and called themselves that! :eek:
    does this not surprise anyone else?
    haha!!
    scientist of lunacism Jaz Delorean :p ;)

2. JOsie

JOsie Member

it surprises me...that's a bit weird...i suppose it's no weirder than dressing all in black and wearing fishnets on your arms...

but if they're going to dress like a gang...and they know they're doing it...they could at least do it tastefully...

3. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

well be happy. like you said when you visited bury last - bury is chav central. but they're not all that bad here, cos i know a lot of them, and cos i'm so loveable :p they get on with me. i do my fair bit of sharing and borrowing and chilling and.. yeah - just getting along. but there's still a load of bad eggs around, and i'm always uneasy near a load of them

4. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

its like homer when he meets that gay guy and tells him to stop calling himself queer

haha

madness

5. Jaz Delorean

yeah jesikha, i know some too and they're pretty cool most of the time...
    i mean, i don't hate them- try to be loving to everyone!!
    but surely, if they know they're scallies, then they must know that "scallies" are despised, for one thing at least; the amount of times we've just missed being in a fight because a group of them wants to start one...

6. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

i know exactly what you mean. they're hard to get along with, but out of peace, we have to try, and when we do, they're normal people. actually, one of my 4 closest friends EVER is a scallie. she was the first person to get people to respect me at school, and now i'm one of the most loved people in my year at school

7. Koolaid

Koolaid Member

I am so glad I am 27...Too old to be in the scally/mosher debate :$ ....Had it in my day with trendies and grungers...Part of the fun of growing up..Gives you a bit of social identity and bonds you to your mates more...

8. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Well being despised isn't a reason not to be something, is it? Would you not be a hippy because people despised it? Scally is only a label - what does it actually mean? Why shouldn't they identify as that so long as they're not ass holes? I don't think I understand your point :confused:

9. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

^^ ha, yeah. i hate the whole thing of "moshers hate scallies and vice versa". anyone who is not a scallie and trying to be different "is" a mosher - which does my head in. its a patronising word, amongst the fact that i have to labelled as something so pretentious. too me you're a hippy, or a scallie, or a normal person. hippies are the peace lovers, who won't conform. scallies are the discriminating peoples who are intolerant of individuality (in most cases) and normal people are lucky to be out of it

10. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Is that any different than saying that hippies are all lazy stoners?

11. Koolaid

Koolaid Member

hmmmm so are hippies and scallies not normal people then??

12. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. i've wet myself with the laughter

no.. seriously o.0

13. Alomiakoda

Alomiakoda Boniface McSporran

"You can't call yourselves queer! That's our word for you!!!"

14. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

It's all in the mind. An elaborate elusion to create order within the limits of our imagination. Some would call it restriction, others would label it other things. To label is to give someone a name. Music has a name, Art has a name, foods have names, so do animals....I'm not trying to make a point and nor have I.

15. Jaz Delorean

:) you misunderstood...i'm not lumping a whole load of people into one block, i already said that i treat everyone the same, my point was simply that i didn't think the people that we call scallies, or chavs or any of the other labels (because we have, in the past) called THEMSELVES by that name...i wasn't trying to make any other point, it was just an interesting observation...
    chill!

16. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

'you misunderstood...i'm not lumping a whole load of people into one block, i already said that i treat everyone the same, my point was simply that i didn't think the people that we call scallies, or chavs or any of the other labels (because we have, in the past) called THEMSELVES by that name...i wasn't trying to make any other point, it was just an interesting observation...
    chill!'

but the same could be said for hippies, some call themselves hippies, but others don't, so it must be the same in every other social group. that said, that sounds surprising. maybe because they know they are labelled, they act the way they are expected to. ahhh been doing scheffs labelling theory in psychology....it won't leave my brain! yay revision techniques woohoo!

17. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

i might wet myself again if you're not careful

18. Carlos

Carlos Member

i agree its surprising to her that.

but if u say that some 'scallies' are ur friends then wat do they have to do to be a scallie.

coz for me there it isnt there cloths that define them, coz if it is then half my friends are scallies, but i see it as the simplistic attitude were they dnt wana be diffrent but sdo wana rebel and are quite bad temperd.

i thought lozi's post was an cool confusing philosiphy I'm not trying to make a point and nor have I. Yesterday 11:09 PM

19. Jaz Delorean

carlos, its interesting to hear you say that: i was talking to someone today who said that "scally" was more a state of mind, ie: there are now goth-scallies springing up everywhere, goths who refuse to make friends with anyone if they don't look like a goth...

20. Carlos

Carlos Member

ha ye that is kinda a contradiction init.

if some one is gona be diffrent then they jus hang around with people like them, kinda defeats originality.

but it the same with all o them isnt it, i would liike to know more goths/grungers.

but i think the scallie is difrent due to the fact that they show no tolerence for rbeling aginst fashion or what the adverts tell them. coz in the entertainment and fasion industry they are bringing in the money, coz if you tell them to buy something they will buy it.

obvisly this is extreme and i sound patranisong, but that for me represents there state of mind.