Saying hi to strangers.

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by crazylegs, May 27, 2007.

1. Forget me not

Forget me not Member

I say hi to people all the time. Me and my friends used to wave at people in cars as they drove past (I'd make the peace sign) Gradually it developed into the "Nice guy or miserable sod" game. Surprisingly there are more miserable sods than nice guys. Never mind. I still love the world and them too!
    Peace to all.

2. airotciv

airotciv Slowly Going Sane

I love to make eye contact with strangers. One can learn a lot very quickly about an individual by their initial reaction. ;)

3. Riggs

Riggs Banned

Girls say.. hi back and/or want to flirt with me.
    Guys say.. hi back.
    Asswholes.. say nothing. Too busy trying to keep their image up, I guess. LOL

4. NightRose

NightRose idiosynractic rose

When I go for a drive in my VW in the city I like to wave or do the Peace Sign to who-ever's walking around and see who does it back.

Just yesterday I was driving along the highway and a fellow VW driver drives past me and we give each other the Peace Sign. Felt good.

Its funny though seeing how many people actually do it back.

5. Lorna

Lorna The Magician

I say hello to strangers very often, i smile a lot, and they smile back, specially if i see someone is unhappy or an old lady with difficulty to walk or an old man who you can see is very lonely and sad, or just little kids out from school who looks all worried on the face, and young couples passing by, and those who wait at the bus stop, and those who work in shops of fruit and vegetable and at the supermarked and wait for the hour to be free from work, I say hello, give them a happy smile, and say a word or 2 to them all. Like welcome in the street, or its such a nice day to be you, or today begin now, when you begin to feel happy, they all smile back, answer back, are nice and kind, and often laugh and are surprised in a very positiv way.
    Making others happy is one of my main hobby.

6. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

Actually I do say hi to people pretty often. Where I work we are trained to speak to anyone withing 5 feet of you. So, I'll be out doing my own thing and will always talk to people around me! It's really cool.

7. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Yeah, sometimes I do it too but not always because I'm a bit shy...My friends and I do another thing that is really funny! We stop a person and we pretend to know him/her and we start saying things like "How are you? It's such a long time! Hope to see you again! Peace!". It's strange to see how people react, some people go away other start talking!

8. Formertechno34

Formertechno34 Member

No I don't, I'm far too shy. I remember though once, it must have been 2 years ago. It must have been 12:00am, it was time for lunch time. So me and my friends left school, we were going to my friend's house. So I saw this very cute/beautiful girl, she was in her mom's car. Her mom wasn't really going fast, so I decided to say hi to the girl. I still remember, she sayed hi and smiled. Never will I forget that beautiful moment.

9. Riggs

Riggs Banned

Hi, guys..PEACE !

10. PeacetheGemsbok

PeacetheGemsbok Member

I love saying hello to people on the street! Just a smile and a friendly greeting can really brighten someones day. On the other hand, it can totally weird them out. One time I just randomly stuck up a conversation with a constuction worker on the road. It just went on for a bit, then I went on, feeling just a bit happier. Why don't more people do this?

11. Balloonatic

Balloonatic Senior Member

im from a really small town where everyone and their mother knows ya. so yeah i find myself waving and smiling a lot when im out & about. and more often than not, if i step outside my house im gonna have to stop and talk to someone. i went out of town recently and whenever someone would walk past me & look at me, i would say hi. i mean what the fuck else am i going to do? and most of them just looked at me all crooked. i was pissed. so from now on when im in a different town ill just mind my own business

12. unlearn.and.be.free

unlearn.and.be.free Guest

i try to make eye contact a give a smile to everyone i approach or walk by on the streets. sometimes i even say hi (depending on the reaction i get from the smile), or nod my head gesturing a hello. it feels good to spread some joy and see different reactions. even if someone seems taken aback, or doesn't respond, i try to remember that they might just be shy. you never know how you've impacted someone's life just by smiling at them and acknowledging them. namaste. and once you have walked past eachother, they might break into a huge smile and have an amazing day. crazylegs, we need more people like you in this world. :)

13. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

Doing that in DC will get you shot. I should move back to Boulder.

14. nervosa

nervosa Member

Yes, and mostly I end up having random conversations.

Cornwall is like that though :)

15. sped

sped Member

You know, its always strange when this topic is brought up, over this way its sort of a given to greet people as you walk past them, its really only the stuck up-superficial type people who pretend they cant see you. I had an english friend that went back to england a few years ago and she realised that shed taken all that for granted and I guess I do too. I love Australia =) Most of it anyway...

One time I was on a train, and I met this guy and we just talked about stuff and it turned out he and I shared many common intrests (doofs, festivals, travel) and then as I walked off in my direction and he walked off in his I yelled, "Have a nice life!!!" (not in a sarcastic way...)

16. Dan67

Dan67 Member

I have found that the more densely populated an area is the less common it is for strangers to say hi or wave. If you live out in the sticks, you are happy to see another person and vise versa. Living in a big city though, can make one unappreciative of the company of other people, especially if lots of those other people are self centered snoots.

17. megzipie

megzipie Member

yep, saying hi to strangers is great fun
    i love waving vigorously at busloads of tourists, and waving from buses at people.

beats talking bout the weather

peace and love

18. Forget me not

Forget me not Member

Hi Riggs! Peace to you too!

19. Free_love_peace224

Free_love_peace224 Member

hello amigos!
    i know what your talking about. i often say hello to people and smile (mostly smile) some of them smile back, some ignored me, some looked at me and my clothes and just kind of stared, some smiled out of pity i feel, i get alot of different reactions but it doesn't really bother me. it kind of hurts just to know that my fellow brothers and sisters can not even say hello to one another. i think that we all should say hi even by smiling to one another!
    well i hope you all have a wonderful day! SMILE!!!!! :)
    Love, Renee

20. Autentique

Autentique wonderfabulastic

I usually say hi with a smile... I love it, when you stare someone in the eyes and you smile, it's always better when the other person smles with you and you can see their face brigthen up, sometimes I say hi too, other times I start talking to people while I walk and say by when we take different ways. I used to do this a lot in NY, mainly because I didnt know anyone, I would strike up a conversation with everyone in the train and the bus, I met so many interesting people and from so many different places, and I love those connections that last for just a moment. I would meet people and say hey let's go have lunch, it was great, spending the days with different people all the time.
    Here in DR, it's easy talking to strangers, everybody talks to everybody, it's just how it is, you smile, people invade your group, sit on your table, it's nothing strange.. some more than others, as everywhere else there are snobby people that think talking to strangers it's a bad thing. Actually a friend of mine always freaks out, she always looks at me weird and says "iliana.. why are you talking to them? do you know them?" weird...I also go and touch strangers's hair, LOL.. not all the time, but when they have hair I need to touch, I remember this tourist, me and my best friend where both touching his dreads while we explained how to get to this bar.. and another time I started combing this guy's 'fro at the park.. I love those encounters :)