sauna v. steam room

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gertie, Jan 12, 2005.

1. gertie

gertie Senior Member

what are the differing affects and benfits? local locker room offers both.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

totally non-scientific answer:
    both allow sweating, which eliminates toxins.
    Skin, as I'm sure you know, is the largest elimination organ.

I prefer steam because of my asthma, although the dry can be nice on cold foggy days.

3. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

I am the opposite..the steam room makes me freak out because i cannot breath....i like the sauna better...

as far as health benifits..i don't know...all i know is it relaxes me after i work out :)

4. smilez

smilez Member

I love the suana. Steam rooms freak me out for some reason. I just can't relax in them. But put me in a suana and I'll never want to come out.

5. drumminmama

I live in a very dry place.Maybe that's why the novelty of humidity is OK with me.

6. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

I like the staem rooms. I sweat more.

7. drumminmama

ya think? I wondered if it was condsensation like on a glass of cold water in summer ;P

8. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

If I sweat more or not, I like steam rooms better. Last time I was in a steam room I was with my boyfriend.....it was so steamy in there you couldn't see a thing....it was cool.;)
    They are both really good for your skin and lungs gertie, why don't you go to both?

9. gertie

gertie Senior Member

we have both available, i just wondered if there was something significant;y different other than dry or wet. thanks, though. :)

10. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

I much prefer the steam room, does more for the sinuses aswell as the skin imo.

11. solar_eclipse

solar_eclipse Member

If you prescibe to Ayruvedic tradition, steam is better for Kapha, dry is better for vata, and pitta would prefer a cold shower.

12. Spacer

The Ayruvedic tradition?

13. solar_eclipse

solar_eclipse Member

It's an Indian system of wellness that divides people and areas of the body into 3 types - Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Deepak Chopra wrote a great book on it.

14. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

The problem there is that most people have two or more doshas. I am a vatta-kapha person. My boyfriend is vatta-pitta. Some people are all three, most people are not soley one dosha................

15. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

ps...Suppossing a person were solely vatta, which means air...wouldn't water or fire be better for them than more air. They are already dominantly air...right? Stop me if i am wrong. I sudied under a friend of mine who went to India and learned about Ayurveda and yoga and stuff..;) I can see why pitta should take a cold shower, but dry for air and wet for water/earth?
    Its all about balance, right?

16. Spacer

I'm intrigued by this Ayruvedic tradition, any idea of the name of the book by Deepak Chopra?

17. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

I'll bet you can find heaps of info on Ayurveda right here on the net :) The problems i have with it are
    a)In india fat people rock, they are what is healthy and beautiful, so be careful not to get fat...
    b)There is different energies for different foos ayurvedically and most of these foods are East Indian foods. I, personally live in North America and prefer to eat locally.
    But you take everything with a grain of salt right? Theres lots of awesome things about it too

18. gertie

gertie Senior Member

how do you know what you are?

19. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

You answer a whole bunch of questions and tally up. People with red hair and cheeks are almost always predominantly pitta. Kaphas usually have very thick dark hair and are big. Vatta people are usually very thin and spacey.

20. solar_eclipse

solar_eclipse Member

Well Aryuveda can apply to people all over the world. Yeah, most people are 2 doshas (I myself am pitta-vata) so try to soothe the dosha that is out of balance. IE: you suffer from insomnia, a vata complaint, soothe vata by the steam room (hot and wet), eating a hot breakfast, and eating sweet foods such as oranges. If you have anger issues, or a problem with inflimation this is a pitta complaint and may be balanced by sticking to cooler activities, eating light pungent food (ie salads) and drinking plenty of warm (not hot, not cold) fluids. Thats my take on it anyway. And yes, sometimes a third dosha may spring out of balance (for example my Kapha is funny right now because I have a chest cough, the chest being the seat of Kapha).