Satan's Powers?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by skip, May 12, 2007.

1. Ezzie

Ezzie Member

No.. that's just so wrong man.

You cannot generalise a whole religion for acts that were done by a few powerfull and influential men, you have to remember that back in the crusades style times, people weren't as clever as they are now- some couldn't read or write, they were fairly "sheep-ish" as in following blindly for a cause.

I could go out and kill 1000s of people tonight, and I'll do it in the name of Jesus.. Thus your logic dictactes that that is Christianities fault right..?
    Alas.. you mention Hitler, you're talking about a man who was mentally ill.. Great judge of a person as a banner for christianity yes?

People twist their reasoning for many different things, if you swapped the religion of christianity for the "church of the magic hoola hoop", the same would happen: the powerfull corrupt the poor to do their bidding, they put forward a mass problem, such as death, hey man you know what? I can let you live eternally in a blissfull dimension, just believe in jesus, and do everything i tell you too.

or..

hey man i can get you more oil.. *ring any bells?*

People have been massacred over territories, over kings and queens, over entire countries, over money, over resources, and over their God, it's the same old shit man, you can't blame religion, in your case- christianity, it's the same generalisation towards the crusades:

Group A (crusaders) Slaughter thousands in the name of their God.
    Group B (logical thinker) Looks into Bible and sees messages of love and respect for your fellow man..

Sorry, am I missing something?
    If one kills in the name of their religion.. but the religion tells you not to murder.. then one can not be a proper person of that religion, thus not blaming religion itself but within the person's own power hungry personality..

2. Ezzie

Ezzie Member

Illiterate yet they could make a coherant account?...
    Even if it was a story..?

Hmm.. sounds like someone doesn't it..

No.. the people believing they're following the bible/following their personal view of God contradict themselves when they fail to follow the laws.. "thou shalt not kill".. crusades.. contradiction..

I don't know why i'm bothering with arguing with this to be frank dude.. the founder of the forum keeps posting anti-christian threads.. i mean..

eurgh.

3. Humanman

Humanman Member

exactly christianity is poison and should be outlawed fedup has provided ample evidence to support his claims. I would say christians should be thrown to the lions but I believe that punishment isnt harsh enough

4. Ezzie

Ezzie Member

lol humanman....

Fedup, you keep looking at a minority of the people within the religion, ah why am I even bothering, you're as extreme as the christian extremists when it comes to shutting your eyes and plugging your ears and going "la la la la la la la"

5. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Alright, so it's just FINE to rave about how wonderful someone like Mother Teresa is because she's a CHRISTIAN, but when it's BAD ACTS we're talking about you can't bring up their Christianity. That makes NO SENSE at all.

So if the person is good, it's cause they're a Christian.
    If they're bad, then their Christianity had nothing to do with it, right?

Damn, Fedup, how many times must we repeat our LOGICAL statements while these Christian supporters repeat ILLOGICAL statements? I for one am getting very tired of it.

6. skip

Yes, there is definitely a double standard in how Christians treat people. If you're a Christian from their sect, they treat you like gold. If you're not, you're just a target for their prostelitizing, their money grubbing, their political agenda, their holier than thou attitude, or their hatred because you don't measure up to their moral standards.

That is how the Christians see people... either you're with them or against them.

How fucking sad...

What's worse is they make a crusade out of conversion, leaving MOST Christian acts subject to serious doubt about motivation.

Are they feeding the homeless because they're hungry or because in Christian eyes they're hungry for Jesus?

Are they against abortion because they really care about the unborn, or because they feel they must take that stance to ensure their own entrance into the "heavenly kingdom"?

So is it selfishness that drives Christians or true unconditional love?

That is the $trillion question.

7. Humanman

Humanman Member

hmm maybe we should stop posting the truth? It seems to make them upset I dont want to make them cry!

8. Humanman

Humanman Member

The jains and the buddha had invented the golden rule hundreds of years before supposed jesus

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

According to what I could find:

Satan is the member of the divine council who watches over human activity, to search out men's sins and appear as their accuser. He has no power of independent action, but requires the permission of God; this avoids the problem of another being with powers equal to God.

He is the one who brought death into the world.
    He can give boils, (and persumably other physical aliments).
    He covers the faces of the Judges of the Earth.
    He blinds the mind of the unbelievers.
    He hinders those coming to the Lord.
    He can posseses people.
    He has the power of lies.

10. skip

Thank you, Meagain! It only took 13 pages of posts for someone to answer my original question! :)

So if Satan is under God's power, as it appears to be, then it is God "himself" who condemns all to hell, causes pain and endless suffering upon humanity. Satan's actions are therefore completely God's responsibility.

methinks god has a multiple personality. Gee where have I heard that before? Oh, that's right, eastern religions. They explain the various "personalities" or manifestations of God without having to resort to base fear to motivate believers.

11. HomicidalMercury

HomicidalMercury Member

His power is limited to how mush power you beeave he as. I you don't beleave in him then he don't exist. If ou think that he is in 100% control of your life then he may be (or you just are using it as an excuse for your out of contrlo behavior)

His influence in created by an army of preists, teaching his so called evil ways, but if you do what they want you to you will be protected from him and his boogie-men like demons.

Peace

12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I don't get it. How would anybody begin to answer a question like this? Quote scripture? Then Webmaster Skip (who asked the question in the first place) might have a cow and banish us. Or FedUpAmerican, Humanman, etc. would cry "BULLSHIT!"

What's the point? Is Satan real? I'd say only as a concept. If God is, as John Dewey says, a personification of human idealism, Satan is the personification of human ideas of evil. How does he act in the world? He doesn't. We do, by rejecting or embracing the ideas he represents.

13. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

To my knowledge Satan is a character in a book, the Bible. He also appears in the Koran, Milton's Paradise Lost, Rushdie's The Satanic verses, etc. Maybe we could quote those. But apart from those sources, what evidence would we have to make any statements about him at all? Discuss the qualities of Frankenstein without referring to Mary Shelley's book. Hard to do. And what's the point? What independent thinking could shed light on this subject?

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Man, you obviously have psychological problems. Others have commented that you remind them of the fanatical sidewalk preachers so filled with venom and bile for anybody that disagrees with them that they can't engage in any kind of civil discussion. There's no point in talking to you. Go see a shrink.

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

In other words, myths, concepts, and ideas like truth and justice can be powerful. Christianity and Islam are powerful ideas, whether or not they're true. And they both include a belief in Satan.

16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Didn't say true. The question had to do with power.

17. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

They were taken out of context. I mentioned "truth", along with "justice," etc., as concepts & ideas. I didn't say myths are true, but they can be influential.

18. skip

Yawn......

Fedup, you're just asking him to follow the guidelines which he seems pretty incapable of doing. You shouldn't have to make such a request in the first place.

Stay on topic or leave, or I'll show you the exit. How's that for being nice?

Can we get back on topic now?

The next person who complains about our forum rules, complains about people posting what they feel about Xtianity, or who takes us off topic will be banned on sight. I've had enough whining from people in this forum and off-topic postings.

Read the forum rules AND the Hip Forum guidelines before posting here.

19. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I say, sure, man. I appreciate the apology, and hope you'll accept mine, in return. I don't have anything brilliant to say on this topic at the moment, but keep in touch. Thanks for getting us over this. I really admire you for taking the initiative. Peace, bro

20. Liroy

Liroy Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

One happy family... congratulations.

Now, how about,
    what are the powers of satan on Earth?
    still looking for a answer to it,
    would love to know now... shit loads of christians and nobody that really seems to know?