santana

Discussion in 'Music' started by paulfreespirit, Jan 24, 2005.

1. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

quote = what does it matter how well he plays guitar? . i would say it matters a lot. quote= supernatural and shaman are horrible albums(thats your opinion) . man why are you so judgemental over carlos . question 1 = how do you make a living? 2 =can you play a guitar as good as carlos? ...........dont answer that one i think we all know the answer.

2. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

What about the rest of the music? Ben Harper is an awesome guitarist, but that doesn't change the fact that the music he makes sucks ass.
    Not just my opinion.
    I'm a music elitist. :)
    I can find something wrong with every band and musician, except for The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, The Stooges, The United States of America, and arguably the Grateful Dead. I know I've left a couple out too...
    I just finished homeschool so I'm obviously still with my parents.
    Not yet, but I will be better some day.

3. paulfreespirit

1 ben harper is not the disscusion here .2 elitist ? please explaine . 3 you can find something wrong with every band and musician,except for the beatles ,velvet underground , the stooges, usa, the gratefull dead , can i ask why that is ? (maybe they are your favourite groups)? . 4 will be better than carlos "believe me i dont think you will be " maybe as good not better .

4. humandraydel

humandraydel Member

paul, i'm just curious: have you heard his latest stuff? cause i agree, it's not very good...it's nothing compared to his real early stuff, before 72 or 73 at latest. i just can't bring myself to listen to a 3 or 4 minute pop song when i could listen to a 20 minute soul sacrifice or other funky jam.

btw, did you ever get the chance to check out that disc i recommended on page 1?

5. paulfreespirit

hi humandraydel hope you are well. i honestly can say i have not heard his latest stuff . all my point is carlos santana is a master of the guitar . i mean if i could play halve as good as carlos i would be a verry happy dude. unfortunately i have/nt been able to check out disc you mentioned .......i believe i will listen to it one day .......thanks ........i will eventually listen to it . just watched him perform at woodstock .....he"s their man............peace

6. soulrebel51

I was using him as an example. Trey Anastasio is another example.. he's a great guitarist, but I find the music that he makes to suck major ass.
    I think its rather self-explanatory. :)
    I like all of them a lot except for The Grateful Dead, definitely not one of my favorites... I can't find anything wrong with them because they are probably the greatest bands to ever make music. None of them recorded a bad song, wrote bad lyrics, were shitty with their instruments, etc etc.... (not counting VU's Squeeze, of course, since its not a real VU album anyway).
    You don't know me and have never heard me play (not that I'm nearly at his level now) and you don't know how dedicated I am, so its rather stupid of you to say such a thing. :)
    Haha, how can you stand up for his music when you haven't even heard it? :p

7. paulfreespirit

quote = 1self explanatory "how do you explaine that"? 2 i like alot of them blah blah blah who are the greatest bands in the world? your not clear . 3 no i dont know you and have not heard you play "as i said you may be as good as carlos but certainly not better" so it is rather stupid of you to make that suggestion"is it not? . 4 i do not stand up to his music all the time "sometimes i sit down to it and really tune in" . with being relatively older than yourself believe me i certainly have heard his music . man go and take a raincheck .

8. soulrebel51

Put the words together... "music" and "elitist".......
    What does that have to do with Santana?
    No.
    You admitted earlier that you have not heard his latest music....

Right there....

wtf? are you high right now?

9. paulfreespirit

nice editing .reread my threads and try to take what i am saying in .have you thought about being a newspaper reporter? coz they think they are good at spouting shit anall.

10. The Acid Queen

The Acid Queen Member

Chuck, about what you said about those crappy musicians not being inspired by Santana: I don't know about Rob Thomas, but I was flipping through channels on TV a while back, and Michelle Branch was on... knowing that she had recently done a (really bad) song with Santana, I decided to watch a moment of it. This question came up: "What was it like working w/ Santana?" Her horrible and unflattering answer: "I had never heard his stuff before we worked together. It was all new to me." How stupid can she get???

So no, at least one of the stupid musicians he's worked with have no been inspired by him. I know one doesn't mean that much to some people, but oh well... Really, I'm just trying to point out how ditzy that bitch is. :p

11. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

I actually really liked Supernatural. If you go into it thinking "Oh, he's playing with mainstream artists so that obviously means it's going to suck" then it's going to be nothing more to you. The music that wasn't made into singles, especially his Spanish songs, shine on the album. Just because an artist goes mainstream doesn't necessarily detract from his or her talent. The talent is still there, regardless of what new audience it is opened to and new style it is manifested as.

I haven't heard much of Shaman but I wasn't too impressed with Game of Love. I never base any opinions off of singles because they're never a good indicator of the album.

12. The Acid Queen

The Acid Queen Member

SilverClover, I have to agree with you. Singles are never a good indicator of an album..

Btw, a bit off topic here: I like your screen name. :)

13. humandraydel

humandraydel Member

It doesn't detract from his talent at all....it's that those mainstream pop songs don't even SHOW his talent! Those songs are 4 minutes of tight, watered down guitar riffs behind a pop singer with a 20 second guitar solo between verses. You can't even compare it to the 30 minute funkdified grooves he made in the late 60s.

14. soulrebel51

I didn't edit anything. You said in this post that you have never heard any of his recent albums, Supernatural or Shaman. So why are you saying that he is still making good music when you admitted that you have never even listened to his recent albums? Moron.

It's not that playing with mainstream artists automatically make a good musician bad, its just that almost every mainstream artist I've heard sucks ass, and no matter who they're with, they will make crappy music. :p And thats the case with his last Santana's last two studio albums...
    And also, whoever produced Supernatural (Shaman too) was obviously putting the spotlight on the guests, and putting Carlos in the background...

IMHO, Supernatural was much better than Shaman, but since you liked the former you might wanna check out the latter. In my opinion, its the same crap, but the guests get even more of attention on the latest one, making it even worse. "The Game of Love" pretty much encompassed the entire album into one song, actually. :)

15. paulfreespirit

try an understand what i am saying . right yeah i have not listened to any of his recent stuff he has played with other artists ( do you understand ?). the thread is about carlos santana "so now am i right in thinking that you think he ( meaning solo carlos ) cannot play a guitar as well as he used to ? . never mind anyone else " i am talking about carlos the individual. in my opinion he will always be an awesome guitar player" end of .

16. soulrebel51

I said that I love him but that his recent crap sucks ass.
    I didn't say that at all, I said that the music he is making now sucks. You admitted that you have not even heard any of his new stuff, so don't try to stick up for it.
    And it is Carlos the individual playing along with the shitty pop music that he's making.

17. paulfreespirit

listen this is the last time i will repeat meself " yeah i have already admitted i have not heard his new stuff . i cannot comment on his new stuff being good or bad ( whatever that is). whatever you thinks about his new stuff is up to you (your opinion) . now my point is carlos santana is an awesome guitarist "always has been and always will be as a individual. now thats my opinion.

18. soulrebel51

Then why the dragged-out argument sticking up for his new stuff?

I'm not going to argue anymore... you're a fucking moron. Jesus christ.

19. paulfreespirit

listen fucken knob rot "you are so up your own arse thinking you are a god of critisicing music and expecting everyone else to agree with you . when they dont "you have to get out your pram and spit yer dummy out " yer stupid little fucken gobshite. man you were well sussed yesterday "with your oasis views" all in twenty minutes eh . let me tell you that the album is longer than twenty minutes "so therefore how could you possiblly review it and make your mind up there and then . stick to playing gameboys you bullshitting pleb. .............(quote) then why the dragged-out argument sticking up for his new stuff? 1=so now we know that you see a discussion as a argument "woopy fucken do" 2 = i never stuck up for his new stuff ( the thread is titled santana) . man your one argumentive everyone has to agree with soulrebel51 or they are morons "fucken arsehole.

20. soulrebel51

ahaha... yay. :D
    I'm not saying that at all. I just think its very idiotic of you to stand up for something you've never even heard.
    Wow.. you are arguably dumber than joker. I did say that it was the single for Lyla I was listening to... there's 3 songs on there. ;) The album doesnt even come out for another 11 days.
    Yes you did... and than you admitted that you never even heard it.... and than you stuck up for it some more.
    You're the one saying that, not me. :)