Samsung Batteries

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by wooleeheron, Aug 13, 2019.

1. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Samsung Galaxy Graphene Batteries Could Boost Capacities By 45% Within 2 Years | HotHardware

These batteries are supposedly 45% more powerful and use what is essentially the same technology that caused so many cellphones to explode. They coat the battery with cheap graphene and see what happens when you over charge it. The real news they are not mentioning is that scientists have finally figured out how to optimize battery designs and discovered the worst problems that cause them to blow up and not recharge fully and all that. At any rate, our current problems with rechargeable batteries are about to become history, with Intel even releasing a new technology that can save half the energy of your display whenever not using it for movies or games. Between just these two improvements, your battery life should easily double.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm getting the new galaxy note. I hope it has a good battery life.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Note doesnt have a headphone jack

Which is stupid, because why carry around a far bulkier set of bluetooth headphones that are going to run out of charge every so often instead of the good old 3.5mm earplugs you can fit in your pocket

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have these, well.... Mine are a lot better but same idea. The only time I need a jack is use the AUX chord for music. Once I get the Samsung note I'll be using my old galaxy purposely for a music library, which has the jack for my stereo in the garage so I don't actually need a headphone jack on the note.

[​IMG]

5. wooleeheron

I actually don't own a phone or ear buds. The government keeps insisting its everybody's right to call me in the middle of dinner, even computer automated crap. I don't own a TV for the same reason, because the last thing I need is insane assholes demanding my attention.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Also if we pre order the Galaxy Note, we are meant to be getting a free Bluetooth headphones valued at 500US. ;)

Seriously with all the Bluetooth these days I don't know why you'd buy a phone and then use obsolete equipment like a headphone with a chord. Lol.

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Just pain in the arse carrying around something else you have to charge

8. wooleeheron

The technology is advancing so fast everybody is waiting for it to become standardized, like a Timex watch, which always does way more than anybody cares to know. Microsoft specializes in interfaces, but they don't make hardware and can't predict the future. Within twenty years, it should be possible to beam lasers into your eyes so you can watch movies or play in VR, wearing an otherwise ordinary pair of sunglasses, but that's not happening tomorrow and will cost a fortune for some time to come. What is already happening is the AI are taking over, and will rapidly improve in leaps and bounds, starting around the release of the next consoles.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You do realise that AI has nothing to do with Bluetooth headphones, right?

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah... But you just do it at night when you don't need it hehe.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I wouldnt bother, he probably thinks he is arguing with Napoleon as opposed to sitting in front of a computer,typing in stuff on his keyboard

12. wooleeheron

AI already write music, take your orders, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it can prevent obnoxious commercials from blasting you out, and regulate the overall volume the way you like. As ambitious as the volume control might sound, it could already be built right into your headphones using fpga circuitry that takes up 1/3 less space than digital and uses about 1/10th the power. Nobody has really done anything like that yet, simply because the technology never existed to do it so cheap and easily, while doing it serious justice. AI can literally be taught anything about twiddling the nobs and setting them to whatever you prefer and are about to be built into everything including your toaster, giving it a fucking cheerful personality if that's what you want.

13. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The exploding batteries were found to have been caused by failure of the current limiting circuit on a batch of batteries believed to have been imported from China.
    It was a particular problem with one model of Samsung phone due to the softer shatter resistant casing that allowed the phone to flex. When either dropped or kept in the back pocket of jeans, the flexing was causing the wiring of the battery current limiter to rip off due to no slack being left during production.
    Regarding the latest higher capacity, it will still not be sufficient for heavy business use. I need to be able to make 8 hours of calls when setting up systems on the national grid, so I simply use my 2007 Nokia phone and carry a few spare batteries.
    Hopefully, supercapacitor power supplies are somewhere on the horizon. Given that capacity, I may even consider a smartphone, but I can't see a way of connecting it to our email server without considerable expense.
    Jane has tried working from home, but the encrypted links are costly and unreliable. They also only work from a dedicated PC on our system and only on our static ADSL connection. On one occasion, due to a line fault, our system switched to wi-fi and as soon as she attempted to log on to her works server, we had police banging on the door.

14. I've got the cheap Samsung. It cost like sixty bucks. I don't need a fancy phone. And this one's fancy enough. What are you going to do with a phone, listen to music? Please. That's dumb. I just use it to call or text someone. There's a game I play, but that's it.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I dont want to have to carry around another phone or mp3 player that needs charging, i dont want to have to remember to charge the headphones each night.

I just want a headphone jack I can just stick my cheap $5 earphones in goddamit

#FirstWorldProblems

16. wooleeheron

As interesting as that might be, lithium ion batteries are inherently prone to overheating, and the problem has finally been solved. These can be extremely expensive batteries, with solar batteries costing $6,000.oo for roughly two car batteries worth of lithium. Thanks in part, no doubt, to the US government suppressing any research into solar power, our batteries are 100 years behind the times and struggling to catch up.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My headphones last weeks on battery but I onky use for couple hrs a day maybe when I'm walking.

18. I went for a walk today and I brought my phone.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm walking right now and on my phone.
    Woah pothole.
    Not. :p

20. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The overheating problem is the reason for the inbuilt current limiter. Unfortunately, with batteries mass produced in countries such as China, these circuits can fail or break away, causing the problems that they were intended to prevent.

I imagine that the $6,000 batteries that you mentioned are the ones used in aircraft backup power supplies. Following a fire resulting in a crash, they were redesigned.
    I believe that they are designed and manufactured in Germany.