Same-sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by fitzy21, May 17, 2004.

1. Pointbreak

Pointbreak Banned

I'm all for it. Hopefully ten years from now people will wonder what all the fuss was about.

2. kayatree

kayatree Member

Word.

I gotta say... every time I hear people talking about it (on the news or whatever) I can't help thinking the same thing... what the hell is the big deal? I keep waiting for someone to come up with a good reason why gays shouldn't be allowed to marry one another. So far, no good.

luvin' u,
    kayatree

3. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

Maggie, I disagree, I believe marriage was a religious ritual before people made it about any legally binding contracts. There was marriage before this country was founded. I mean what about in other cultures where they have their own customs and ceremonies, but do not necessarily abide by the same laws we have here. Of course there is so much more to marriage, which is why my point is that same sex "marriage" has always been legal, no one can step into your church no matter how hard they try and tell you how to practice your religion. The problem was that it was not recognized by the government as a legally binding agreement. There would be no marriage certificate, etc. Which would not allow for any of the benefits/rights that Kayatree outlined. Anyway, I just think that everyone should either have those rights or not have them, whether you get married or not. Like I said I don't see how the government can control whom one falls in love with.

4. trippymcnugget

trippymcnugget Member

No offense, but I think it's kinda funny that this is comin from the same people who think marriage is useless now a days... (just a piece of paper right?)

Anyways, marriage is for a man and a women. As for civil unions I'm not sure. I guess it's ok, but just don't call it marriage.

Same-sex marriages can lead to corrpution. Under federal law, married couples are not required to testify against each other in a court. Coperate executive could marry each other and get away with hell.

Dont think that I'm some "lets kill all the homosexuals" kinda guy though. Not true at all.

5. Dilapidated

Dilapidated Member

Well I personally don't believe in marriage (my mother has been married 4 times) but I don't think homosexuals should be denied the privilege/right to do so. The testifying thing is a good point but I don't think people would marry each other for just that reason. After all there are both men and women in the field and you don't see that happening today, so how would that change anything when gays have equal rights?

6. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Two words: Right On!

Equal rights for everyone god damnit! I still cant get out of my damn pledge at school. It was funny, we watched the seniors get schollarships last week and at the end they all sang the alma-mater. They had they're hands raised into little L's (for Lamar) and were doing the whole nazi salute thing. I about ran at that. It pisses me off that the religious groups feel that they not only can run the world, but its their duty to.

7. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I hope the folks who oppose gay marriages now will think in the future (hopefully, much sooner than later), "What the fuck were we thinking?" I am still am befuddled about the opposition to gay marriages. How does the hell does gay marriage lead to corruption?

8. Dolphin~Rider

Dolphin~Rider Member

I am very happy for all the gay couples out there who can finally fulfill their desire for a legally recognized union. Congratulations!! Why should I care if these nice gay folks get married? It's not hurting me in any way. And as for it hurting the moral fabric of society, on the contrary, I think it will help. There was a time when gay people could only hook up for brief sexual encounters with strangers in bars because they had to stay in the closet and hide their sexuality out of fear. Or, if they could manage to find a long term partner, have to say they were "roommates" or whatever. Always living a lie-how healthy is that for any human being? Now that people can be out of the closet and free, why not be able to marry? We, as a country, have come along way in the struggle for the equal rights of all of our members. And we still have far to go. Let's keep trying to do unto others as we'd have them do unto us.

9. Jozak

Jozak Member

I am all for it. Personally, I think it should be civil unions nationwide, and marrige left up to the states.

10. cutelildeadbear

trippy, why couldn't a WOMAN corporate executive marry a male executive and get away with hell? Do you even realize how sexist that comment is. There are WOMEN out there in positions of power. And if your only issue is that they wouldn't have to testify against each other in court, why not allow them to get married, but change the law so that all spouses would have to testify in court? I mean your beef seems to be with the judicial system not with gays getting married. Come up with a better excuse to oppress. And as far as the piece of paper thing, that is the entire point here. The fact that married people have rights and priveledges that unmarried people don't, and then the government wants to decide who is allowed to marry and who isn't. You are all about fairness here, how does that sound fair? And the kill homosexual comment, do you also say "i'm not racist, i don't kill blacks, but they shouldn't have the same rights"? Get a clue.

11. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

damn, let anyone get married. for heaven's sake! the marriage institution is corrupted already. it's meaningless except as a symbol for some people. and anyone who wishes the same rights with their partner that any straight couple would have deserves them. jeez. the country is not a christian theocracy, the country is a republic.

12. kazinspace

kazinspace Member

dnt rly c the problem in gay marrages, if they luv eachotha i dnt c wat the problem is

13. nightmarehippygirl

nightmarehippygirl LEVI'S MOMMY

i think it's great. i have never understood what the big deal was anyway. if you ask people who are against it, what their problem is, it's almost always some sort of religious justification. i don't think anyone in this country should be disallowed to do something that is meaningful to them, just because of someone else's religious beliefs. that's unamerican, if you'll pardon the cliche.

really, homophobia in general baffles me. i can't see how anyone can be offended by who anyone else sleeps with. that's pretty much a personal choice, gay or straight.

14. Maverick

Maverick Banned

All I have to say, is that we now have lots more dysfunctionla famalies now.

15. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Heh, like we don't have enough already. The way I's see it, let gay people get married, and be as miserable as straight people. ;)

16. Tamee

Tamee naked

a VERY positive step!

Ya know, before Bush was president, I always thought there wasn't a big deal with same sex marriages. It all seemed like things were going on the right track before he got into office. Wanting to amend the fucking constitution about something that's so unimportant in the big picture (not saying that same-sex marriages aren't important, just that the banning of it is) really shows just how ignorant this man really is.

I was thinking the other day and realized that I know a lot of people that would make way better presidents, if only they wanted to. This is just my opinion, but most of the really good people in this country don't want to get into that kind of thing. The ones who do want to be presidents are concerned about money and image and being re-elected, not about the real people in his/her country. Something's gotta change. I may not know what the hell I'm talking about though, that's just my perception of it all...

17. thespeez

thespeez Member

The government has no business at ANY level sanctifying ANY union. That affair should be between the parties in question and, if applicable, the unit with which they make the agreement (e.g. church, temple, court, etc.)

18. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

"Everyone?" I don't want "everyone" to have acess to my checking account, or be able to make medical decisions for me if I am unable, or be able to have custody of my children, without a fight, if I should die. Or any of the other rights which married people are entitled to. These and the rights Kayatree laid out are NOT religious rights, they are rights for a couple to use to help and protect each other. And I think they should have them whether they are the same sex or different ones.

19. cutelildeadbear

LOL no, no Maggie, I didn't mean that when you die, everyone gets your stuff, or rights over what was yours. I meant that as an individual you should be able to say who does, regardless of who you are married to or not married to for that matter. For example, I don't know if my boyfriend and I are going to get married or not, but for the time being I want him to be able to have the right to take care of my affairs if anything were to happen to me (yes, I do have a will saying so). And I didn't say the rights Kayatree outlined were religious I think you misunderstood what I wrote there. I said those rights were of the law, which is why it should have nothing to do with marriage or religion. It should have to do with legal documents that are filed on record.

The point I was trying to make that you seemed to have missed here was simply that marriage is about love and the government cannot tell you who you can and cannot fall in love with, ok. Yet our government has made marriage about legal issues concerning your life, and wellbeing and what happens after you die, plus your taxes, etc. That to me not only seems unfair, but it isn't even logical. I am not against gay marriage maggie, I don't know where you could have gotten that from.

20. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

well, in the welfare nation that we currently have, marriage or lack of marriage makes a huge difference in what benefits one can recieve. in addition to that, there are the basics, like health plans, property rights, stuff like that. so the state, which is often called upon to sort out these things must have some guidelines to work with. where they're getting all fucked up is trying to enforce a fundamentalist judeo-christian morality on a public that doesn't want it.