Salvador Dali

Discussion in 'Art' started by metro, May 18, 2004.

1. metro

metro self-banned

Salvador Dali is one of my favorite artists. I can look at one of his paintings forever, they are so interesting. Just plain cool!

This is my favorite-

2. wastingthedawn

wastingthedawn *~Pure Light~*

They are completley mind blowing...One could spend there whole lives considering them...

Dali is amazing...

3. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Oh I love Dali, he's one of my favorite artists! I visited the Dali museum in Figueres, Spain, and it was incredible...

4. garf12

garf12 Member

I went to the Dali musem in london and hated it. It was a long time ago, and I dont know why? Cause looking at his art now it is intresting.

5. schatzi

schatzi Member

I saw his Last Supper peice a few months ago. It's amazing. You can stare at it for an hour and you'll never run out of new things to look at. It's really cool.

~Chrissy

6. Digital Underpants

Digital Underpants Member

My entire home is decorated in his art. I also have a pic of him on my wall. He also did some strange films and is soo great I don't have the words.

7. wastingthedawn

wastingthedawn *~Pure Light~*

I'd really like to see some of his films...I attempted to go down town to a screening once but it fell through, have you seen any?

8. gratefuldeadhippy

gratefuldeadhippy Member

some dude i know did a sculpture of the melting clock it was on a branch it was perfect

(sorry no pic)

9. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

I went to the Dali exhibit in London two years ago. I was quite impressed at some of his works. His erotica could get a little creepy at times, but still very interesting.

10. gesone

gesone Member

Personally, "The Temptation of St. Anthony" is my favorite piece. I love the way Dali depicts the human condition of our temptations and the symbolism he uses to portray that temptation is trully artistically brilliant. Also, the fertility of the iconography is superb and accurate in the sense of the main trigger to our lust. I love the fact that Dali illustrates our human phallability through an array of symbols that are clearly evident of subconcious desires. Perhaps I am mistaken on my feeble interpretation but as far as I'm concerned, the painting itself sparks in me an irrefutable sense of reevalutaing my thoughts in an abstract angle of 95 degrees due north.

__________________________________________________________-

"Grilled cheese sandwiches will save the world!"

11. deezee

deezee Member

i couldn't agree with you more on this. the thing about all of dali's art is that you can stare at it for hours/days and find new things in it all the time. i always feel badly that he isn't given the recognition he deserves as his eccentricities tended to outshine his art in many ways with the prevailing (so-called) critics. i have always thought the he is a technically better painter than picasso. the most amazing thing is to actually stand in front of most of his work as some of it is the size of a whole wall and you can just "fall" right into it. as a working artist, i'm glad to see that so many of the you appreciate him!

deezee

12. BohemianSuperhero

BohemianSuperhero Member

I went to the museum in Tampa about 5 months ago, and it is absolutely AMAZING. His painting of the Hallucinogenic Torreador is just mind blowing. You can barely make out any of the detail in books and prints, so I had never really been fond of it until seeing it in person, but standing right in front of it and seeing it tower over you and noticing all the little hidden images just makes it so beautiful. My friend and I stood there all teary-eyed for at least 30 minutes, not knowing what to say. :)

[​IMG]

13. schatzi

schatzi Member

yay, I love it when people agree with me!

14. deezee

deezee Member

don't we all?

you have excellent taste (the same as mine) so it makes it easy to agree.......LOL.

p.s. i just got back from northampton where my brother lives and love amhearst too.

deezee

15. Pendants4u

Pendants4u Member

I have his "One Second Before Awakening" in my living room.

16. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

I'm a huge art love and I love Salvador Dali's art; he's magnificent in creatin surrealistic landscapes and object jump off the canvas.

But of course, he holds no flame to Van Gogh or Da Vinci IMO.

17. schatzi

schatzi Member

I only moved to Amherst about a year ago to finish my last year of college at UMASS. I really like it here, though, and it looks like I'm staying. Yay!!!

~Chrissy

18. Mooney Pilot

Mooney Pilot Member

Dali has always been one of my favourites!

19. guest1234

guest1234 Visitor

His paintings are amazing, i agree, but he's not my favorite, that would be Mucha, and Monet.

20. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

I love his paintings, but Davinci, Picasso, and Van Gough are my favorite. The Starry Night is my favorite painting of all time. I can look at it all day.