Sabbath's "13"....Honest thoughts!

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by ClintonsSon, Jun 19, 2013.

1. ClintonsSon

ClintonsSon Yeah......it's Me!!

Have you heard it yet? Got it? Is it worth getting? Online people are raving about it....and I have to admit "God Is Dead?" really impressed me...but what about you?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I've heard parts of it... I doubt it will become a "classic" 10 years from now. There's just something missing. I donno.

3. ClintonsSon

IMO although they are true metal legends and pioneers and all that.....there is probably a time when you need to call it a day. And not just groups like Sabbath....but people like McCartney and The Stones and Pete Townsend and Roger....I mean....damn....is Sabbath gonna be like the damned Stones and be touring when they are 90? Although 13 has promise....it's more like a memory of something that was actually over about 34 years ago?

4. BuryMeInSmoke

BuryMeInSmoke Member

It's exactly what I hoped it would be. I knew that Tony and Geezer still had it in them because of the last reunion with Dio. Therefore, I wasn't as cynical about this album as a lot of people were. "Damaged Soul" is the main standout for me. It's a heavy blues jam with Ozzy wailing on the harmonica. His voice actually sounds pretty good here too.

Due to the fact that the last song, "Dear Father" ends just like the first album began, with rain and bell tolls, you can predict that this will be the last Sabbath album. If it is, they are definitely going out on a high note.

1 person likes this.
  5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Yah it's a pretty quality album, not my favorite Sabbath record but I think it's better than the last couple albums from the Ozzy years. I'd put it on par with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, there are a few amazing standout songs, most are good, and there was 1 (Loner) I didn't care for much. (I actually listened to the deluxe edition which has a few extra songs and the deluxe has about the same type of distribution in terms of song quality)

The album feels more like their first 4 albums for the most part with it's own unique quality, but Iommi's guitar soloing style sounds more like the style he developed when Dio fronted Sabbath. The songs stand on their own but there are sort of 'ode's' often within songs to previous Black Sabbath songs, some more subtle than others.

The album sounds pretty sharp and I am excited to see them later this summer! :devil:

6. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

I liked a couple of songs off of it. I haven't heard the whole thing yet. My big critique is that there is no Bill Ward.

7. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

It has Tony Iommi on it. What else can you ask for?

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I havent downloaded or listened to it yet.

I find it all kind of depressing that all the big albums in metal over the last decade or more have been from old farts that have been around forever

No one seems to have broke big since the late 90s

9. absentwithin

absentwithin Member

They day when i complain about my favorite groups of all times still performing like townsend,waters,the stones and black sabbath is the day that i no longer deserve to talk about music or complain about the musicians that have provided over 4 decades of musical art for me to enjoy.. This is the first time in over 40+ years for Black Sabbath to hit#1 on the charts.. I myself tip my hat off to them for still being able to pull it off.. I can only hope Page,Plant and Jones can pull off a reunion in 2014..

10. ClintonsSon

That is exactly what I am trying to say! We have become this bunch of "reminiscers"....living off memories of what used to be IMO. And no I'm not turning in my right to be a fan of Zep or Sabbath or Purple or any of those classic groups....but when they have to turn DOWN the music so Robert Plant can be heard over it....it's time to let the kids have their time in the sun! I've already posted that I thought the single "God Is Dead?" was impressive and I will probably get the LP but there is NEVER going to be another "Master Of Reality" or "Paranoid" because that music belonged to another era....the era of Vietnam and Nixon and hippies and all of that! Now music is, by and large, about MONEY and making videos and sales and getting all the old Baby Boomer bucks for nostalgia! Just my opinion...and you couldnt be a bigger Sabs fan than I am....got all the original LPs. BTW Bill Ward not being there DOES make a difference. He was part of Sabbath too!

11. ClintonsSon

And BTW...take the Stones for example. WHEN is it time? When Mick breaks his hip? I mean really? Makes you wonder what Elvis and John Lennon and Jim Morrison and Hendrix would be doing right now huh?

12. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I've only heard "God is Dead" and I thought I was overproduced. It didn't have the warmth that I know Sabbath for. Sounded more like Ozzys solo stuff.

13. ClintonsSon

I think that's because Ozzy isn't the same as he was say in 1971. He's a father and probably a granddad honestly. Iommi is currently undergoing treatments fo cancer. Bill Ward has apparently said to hell with all this shit....and Geezer? Well Geezer reminds me of an aminable uncle who just goes with the flow.

14. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

I think Metal had it's heyday in the 80s and early 90s. A lot of todays Metal I've heard gets boring after the first few bars and I don't hear anything new and interesting. I think bands today should incorporate multiple influences from different genre's and not stick to just one kind of sound.

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Have not heard it yet because of my conviction that I will not be impressed. Sabbath is one of my favourite bands though and probably will remain so forever despite many mediocre and bad albums. The bad stuff just gets ignored, it can't touch the good stuff which in the case of Black Sabbath is simply supreme.

16. death-metal

death-metal Member

17. ClintonsSon

I got it. And it is good (Hell I'm a Sabbath fan....I love all their stuff) but it isnt anything "special" or anything apart from the fact that Ozzy is back with them...but now Bill Ward is gone! Insane!!

18. death-metal

death-metal Member

19. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

I really like the bluesy stuff. Ozzy's voice is built with the effects that are reminiscent of his solo career.

20. death-metal

death-metal Member

Ozzy's voice shines through.

I don't think it's the production that makes it so good; it's the songwriting.

More focused than anything recent...