russophobia

Discussion in 'Russia' started by Ann-Akim, May 21, 2007.

1. J.I.

J.I. WithYouInMyThoughts

I d like to go to russia too..I hear there are many new millionares - I think one would be just fine for my first marriage...

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I live wherever my ass decides to sit.

3. neponiatka

neponiatka Senior Member

girl, where have ya heard all this?

there are as many skinheads in russia as in any other country

again prejudices....

4. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

Maybe she watched Ross Kemp on Gangs, they focused a lot on Russian neo-nazis and skinheads. :hysterica

As for Skinheads, I lived in the Czech Republic for a while... I didn't get any problems there and they're pretty famous for their skinheads too. :)

5. Ressotaspiks Man

Ressotaspiks Man Member

Yeah that Russian skinhead was a bit of a wacko.
    Wasnt he starting an "army" - albeit 3 people.LOL
    Ross Kemp's programmes are usually good , but I dont think that was really an example of organised crime in Russia , just an eccentric dickhead with a warped sense of history.

Neponiaka and BraveSirRubin , where u from in Russia?
    Would you recommend a part Russian-foreigner (me!)start a business there?
    BTW , my Russian speaking is ability is fairly "govno". :)

6. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I don't currently live in Russia, but foreign business in Russia is blooming.

If you start a fairly small business then you will have no problem, if it's big, then you might have to pay some people off for protection.

Also, property value in bigger cities is sky-rocketing and the mafia is looking for as much control over it as possible, so renting or buying a local might cost some money.

Anyhow, the Russia of today is a capitalist's paradise... consumerism is going up up up.

7. J.I.

J.I. WithYouInMyThoughts

Its all over the newspapers...but sorry if I am wrong..
    and I never said there are skinheads only in russia.

8. Ressotaspiks Man

Ressotaspiks Man Member

Brave Sir Rubin

Cool.Sounds like its settling down a bit then.
    My business partner's friend got shot at 6 times- and his bodyguards were killed.
    ( But that was the cigs and alcohol business..).
    But I think the days of having to put a " front man" in as director to stop kidnappings in other businesses are over ?

Property in London is ridiculously priced , as is much of Britain , so I dont think Moscow / St P-burg etc would be any worse.
    Personally I cant think of anywhere that more exciting than say Moscow ,altho Shanghai sounds pretty good.
    Its funny tho , how many Russians want to live in London!: )

9. fountains of nay

It ain't just Russians :tongue:

10. Tamerlane

Tamerlane Member

Regarding the original post, I am Latvian and I can say that we have good reason to be wary of Russia(as a state, not Russians as a people). Russia occupied the Baltic states in 1940, yes, occupied, and nothing anyone will say will change that - one day Soviet tanks just rolled into our nation's capitals and that was then end of freedom for 50 years. In 1949, tens of thousands of people were deported to Siberia, many of them children and pregnant mothers. Their crime? Supporting "capitalist" regimes or just for being intellectuals who could stir the masses against the communist system. Ressostaspiks man has no right to say that the only solution for "peace" is to send Russian tanks into the capitals of our countries again(by the way, here is shown many Russians mentality on how to solve problems), because HE has NEVER lived in our countries, he hasn't grown up in them, he knows NOT the fear and terror felt by many of the older people during the turmoil of the late 80's/early 90's. I am young, too, but at least I have a less skewed vision of all of that. I'm willing to bet he rests his information on all he sees in the Russian media(which, unfortunately, is very pro-Putin and nationalistic) and outside news sources like the BBC, which are also fallible.
    And besides - Putin is fucking crazy. Most of us know that Bush wouldn't get an ok to launch missiles at Russia(with the new missile defence shield and so on), but Putin? Well, he's got the whole Duma in his pocket, and he just said that Russia will point missiles at European targets if the missile shield plan continues. Fuck.

And I say all of this being half-Russian myself.

11. Ressotaspiks Man

Ressotaspiks Man Member

Right , I think were mixing up 2 threads here , anyway

1)Firstly I dont rest all my opinions on the Russian media( I dont read much of it) , what I say is the Western media is biased- and Ive grown up being force fed it!

2)No Ive never lived in the Baltics ,but I know Baltic people were deported for many things in addition to " just supporting Capitalists" Er try "supporting Hitler" ie the most evil" man" the world has ever seen -+assisting the murder of millions of children etc etc - including my own relatives BTW

3)My comments re sending tanks in , I dont actually see that happening just yet, but its simply what Baltic people did supporting Hitler.If persecution of Russians and glorifcation of Nazis stopped , then I dont see how Baltics could
    see Russia as a threat.
    Ultimately its a case of "the Baltics started it , Russia finished it">Now( some!)Baltics what another dig , with its new American friends there to poke their unwanted noses in.

4)As for Putin , well hes infinitely more moderate than Bush , Blair and the Latvians who defend Hitler.Why shouldnt Russia defend her people and identity from the monster that is the Far Right Bush mob and its Euro-lackeys?

Russia only wants balance.American greedwants to destroy that

12. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

13. Tamerlane

Tamerlane Member

The fact is, Ressotaspiks Man, there are extremes on both sides in Latvia - die-hard communists and ultra-nationalists and neo-nazis. Latvian men DID fight for Hitler in the Baltic SS, but just as many fought in the first world war for Russia and so did many in the second world war for the Soviet Union AGAINST Hitler. In fact, Russian generals PRAISED Latvian riflemen in the first world war for covering the retreat of Russian divisions. I can't find a source, but I just hope you take my word on this. And during the second world war(my history teacher was 13-14 then) the unofficial motto of those fighting for Hitler was: "Saakumaa sitiisim sarkanos, peec tam - zili peleekos!" Which translates as: "First we'll beat back the reds, and then the blue-grays!" Blue-grays being a reference to the Germans. I don't know where you get your information, but Russians aren't being crazily discriminated against here, in Latvia at least. The two societies coexist peacefully, even though there are bad places where racial flare-ups are quite common - for example, the housing projects built by Soviets in Paardaugava(Literally, the other side of the Daugava), places with a high concentration of both Russian and Latvian youth. I myself, when I was 10 or 11, was robbed by 3 Russian 20 year olds - we call them "urlas" here. Unfortunately, there are many urlas, so many that a stereotype has come about - almost all Russians are drunks or skinheads(not Nazis, just thugs). Of course, there are also Latvian nationalists and neo-nazis here, and that is why there is a stereotype that all Latvians are Nazis and that they supported Hitler.
    In truth, I believe that Latvians view Hitler as a lesser evil that Stalin and the Soviet Union, because, well, Hitler and the Nazis killed a LOT less Latvians than the Soviet Union did. There is also a grudge against the fact that the Soviet Union flooded Latvia with Russian workers and their families - the so-called Russification. Now our population is 35-40% Russian and only 55% Latvian. It's not a nice feeling when your culture is slowly being assimilated by a more numerous peoples. Would you like it if China occupied Russia and moved a few million of it's people into Russia?
    Anyway, there is no crazy discrimination against Russians here - maybe a quiet wariness, like the feeling of not knowing whether this whole thing is going to repeat itself all over again - but there is no out-right Russophobia. The few nationalist marches that are held each year have been blown out of proportion by foreign media - in truth, only a few major marches like that take place each year - on the 18th of November, 4th of May(less so), and 16th of March. I hope you know that the 9th of May celebrations, where there were a fair number of Soviet flags being waved and posters of Stalin being held up, went by without incident - in fact, the Victory Monument, where thousands of Russians went to put flowers, was heavily guarded by riot police and nothing happened there.
    So what I want to say, all in all, is that your information about the level of Russophobia in Latvia(at least) is quite...skewed!

14. fountains of nay

15. neponiatka

neponiatka Senior Member

hehe...
    no, girl ;)
    everything is ok with man population...
    and men are handsome....very....
    just too much into sexism because of the patriarchal points of view...

16. neponiatka

neponiatka Senior Member

i live in the south...
    well i'm not that good at business matters...
    well my father is a businessman here in russia and probly half of the things he does are illegal....
    foreign business is blooming, right
    but a think a person who decides to start that needs great knowledge, will and flexibility
    but if ya stsrt business here, let me be an interpreter in your company...ha:)
    tyhe rusiian language is pretty difficult, so dont mind your shitty ability to speak it:)

17. Ressotaspiks Man

Ressotaspiks Man Member

Well what Id be doing would be fairly international - importing , exporting and investment stuff.The rules tend to be *similar* round the world- except the people behave completely differently everywhere....

So I'd prob need some sort of local partner/s tho
    - Particularly for when the tax inspectors came round! ;)

Hmm , could be good.
    The only thing is , u'd get to know all my secrets Neponiatka.. ;)

Maybe I could trade them for some of yours? : )LOL

18. neponiatka

neponiatka Senior Member

secrets...........?
    haha....
    i do not have any ;)

19. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

The passport helps aswell!!

20. fountains of nay

Ah yes, of course! :)