Russia!!

Discussion in 'Russia' started by wiccan_witch, Nov 13, 2006.

1. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Me and my partner are dfenitly going to Japan and Singapore next year but we are also considering getting a boat from Japan to Vladavostock (apolagies if that isn't spelt correctly) and getting the TransSiberian train through Russia to Moscow. Has anyone done this train trip before? We are just wondering what to expect. Anyone who has been to Russia in general could help us too! Safety tips would be good, one of my workmates went to Russia a few years ago and said it's still pretty corrupt.

2. lakshen

lakshen Forn SiĆ°r

well from the people I know who drives truck in russia it is a good idea to sneak in some bills if you want you papers checked quicker and stuff ;)

3. jokerjoker

jokerjoker Member

R u ready to sit in train during 7 days without any stops more than 10 minutes? :)
    I did it 4 times and i was happy but i'm russian :)

4. wiccan_witch

oh are you serious jokerjoker? Do you barely stop? I thought it was a real touristy thing being on the TransSiberian. :(

5. neponiatka

neponiatka Senior Member

I'm a russian and live here at the moment...well....if you really want to visit russia....you need to be ready to everything possible....yes it's corrupt, and quite dangerous too...but if are not afraid of difficulties and want to get unforgetable impressions- welcome!!! My friend, he's from canada has been to russia several times and keeps coming back feeling quite at home....he likes the culture and the people...most russians are kind-hearted ready to help, but they are a bit suspicious of foreigners. Just try it, it will be a crazy trip:)))

6. yars

yars Member

Our country is really dangerous))There are different evil people there[​IMG],but
    if you pay a bit,everything will be OK!Don't worry!BE HAPPY!And as for
    russian sightseeing,probably the most beautiful is Kremlin and Kunstcamera [​IMG]

7. Georgi

Georgi Member

Russia is not dangerous for travelling. I've been there three times (not to Vladivostok), but to Moscow, Peterburg and Voronej - nothing to worry about, people are nice and kind. They only bad thing is the missing of good service if you travel with the national rail lines, but is is still ok, and not so expensive.

8. yars

yars Member

I see your point?but it is really dangerous(especially for people from foreign countries)to
    travel alone and by car....I live here-I know my country better than you.But you are right
    it is getting safer to travel in my country...

9. Koryssa_RUS

Koryssa_RUS Member

Hello, wiccan_witch.

Almost 6 years old post, okay however, I see you still are active. Maybe you did not visit Russia, but will in future like to do this journey? Please tell me, I can help.

Almost, it is 'Vladivostok'. Yes, I make this journey several times. Okay, my first advice. Most people in Europe, USA for example, will have organized a Trans Siberian Railway package/itinerary, such as 'Russia Experience'. http://www.trans-siberian.co.uk/ It is expensive, and will limit to your freedom. You must know, to travel cheap with full freedom, it is better for you to buy each ticket separate. Yes, it is difficult to believe, but it is true. When I return from Europe, this service is fantastic. It is just as fantastic to reach Moscow from Vladivostok. https://www.realrussia.co.uk/trains/tickets, or rzd.ru.

For example, my suggest route for you:

Vladivostok - Irkutsk - Novokuznetsk - Omsk - Volgograd - Moscow - Saint Petersburg - Murmansk. Also, is a small beautiful city 'Veliky Novgorod', between Moscow and Saint Petersburg, an Ancient Kremlin, it is worth to visit. Please know it is very important, leaving Russia from Saint Petersburg on the train for you will need a Transit Visa for Belarus. Or, you could return to Moscow, and leave from there. Easy option is to fly, but it is very expensive.

You can search Real-Russia (Link above) for each train journey and ticket. Do not be afraid to travel 3rd class, and save huge money. However, do not hope for Europe standard train travel. It is best for you, people always will help you if are confused or having difficulty.

I am sorry yars, however, I do not agree. Of course, it is true an area as Caucasus Region must be avoided for a first visitor. Magadan Oblast, Komi Republic (Vorkuta), also are more possible danger. Yes, Russia is not yet for a relaxed visitor, but danger in Moscow, Saint Petersburg, and Volgograd I believe is very low.

You can expect long, tired travel at some time. However, you will see the most beautiful sights, Church and buildings, and warm culture. Please ask any question, I will attempt to help.

Best Wishes

10. wiccan_witch

Thanks dude. :) Yes, six years and still haven't made it to Russia quite yet, but it's one of my dreams...I WILL get there! :)

11. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

Ive never been to Russia but there are many Russians here, theyre really friendly for the most part and very intelligent, the dumbest Russians are still at least as intelligent as the smartest Germans- they must have a great culture and a good education system which is to make people smart and not dumb them down like our western education systems nowdays.

12. Koryssa_RUS

Koryssa_RUS Member

Any city, part in Russia particular?

13. wiccan_witch

Most countries from that Eastern Europe Cold War Block have excellent education systems. My friend's Polish mother is fully fluent in Polish, English, German and Russian. She told me they were all expected to be fully fluent in a 'Western' language - English, German etc, an 'Eastern' language - Chinese, Korean etc along with excellent academic results in all other subjects. In typical Eastern European female style she has a law degree, but was also a model, came to the UK as a cleaner and married VERY well, so now she doesn't have to work at all, lol.