Russia Says It Will Arrest Openly Gay Tourists

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Wolfman's Brother, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, but where are the members of Pussy Riot going to be in 20 years? Probably at least one in charge of a faction of the political party that Putin now heads

Im sure at least one person here will think whats that got to do with this, well everything really

Take it as a rights.issue it looks one way, take it.as a political stouch and it looks another way

Putin so easily threatened by a bunch of pastel coloured balaclava wearing dykes taken away from their kids, hardly says strength on his part, especially in times when their economy goes south

2. odonII

odonII O

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That's not what you said and -

no, it won't be okay.

http://rt.com/politics/putin-law-gay-religious-457/

Are you not reading for comprehension or what?

4. odonII

odonII O

What did I say?

I did just find that article in your first post, but I didn't read all the articles that sprang from that LMGTFY.
    I hadn't read it was now illegal to hold LGBT rallies in the direct articles posted. I have read around a little bit now, and some articles do say that..
    I did read there was some arrests recently, but:'The judge called the arrests illegal and that the people marching in the parade had been exercising their right to assembly.'
    It was premature of me to say it would be ok, but I don't think it is technically illegal, although I'm sure that is the way some authorising demo's will interpret it.

5. Aerianne

Anyway, moving on...

Any Russian's here need to remember:

"Hip Inc. doesn't encourage anyone to break laws, so know the law where you live."

6. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

I never wanted to visit Russia anyway.

7. Aerianne

No, you didn't.

Up until 20 years ago (in Soviet Russia), homosexuality was punished with a prison term. That only changed in 1993.

Then people wonder why homophobia and hate crimes against gays are such a problem in Russia.

I was just reading a pretty graphic account of a gay man's murder at the hands of his "friends" after coming out to them. This occurred in May.
    http://rt.com/news/man-killed-homophobia-russia-198/

It's horribly sickening to know that this hatred is being perpetuated by their homophobic lawmakers and heads of state.

8. odonII

odonII O

Aerianne

That's a bit unfair to quote me. I didn't read the link within the link.

I understand your passion for this issue, but can we have some more facts than: or hold gay pride rallies.

I have read there are bans in certain regions:

Gay parades banned in Moscow for 100 years
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19293465

Recently:
    It might be a good idea to see what is occurring in each region now and in the future.

I don't think any of us has actually read the legislation - I have not.
    But, my feeling is the mayors of each region will interpret the legislation as they see fit.
    We are in the storms eye at the moment, imho.

9. Aerianne

This new national law supersedes any of the previous local/regional laws such as the Moscow 100 year ban on Gay Pride festivities.

10. Wolfman's Brother

Wolfman's Brother Member

Found some back story about this:

-In another controversial move, Russia’s lower house passed a law banning gay “propaganda”.

-As parliament debated the bill, gay activists who had taken part in a “kissing protest” outside parliament to demonstrate against the law were harassed and pelted with eggs by anti-gay protesters. About 20 of them were arrested.

-The law bans the spreading of “propaganda for non-traditional sexual relations” to minors and sets heavy fines for violations. It passed with 436 votes in the 450-seat lower house, the Duma. One deputy abstained and no one voted against.

-The gay rights protesters outside the Duma on Tuesday were far outnumbered by around 200 anti-gay activists who surrounded them, chanting “Russia is not Sodom”, singing Orthodox Christian prayers, crossing themselves and throwing rotten eggs.

-The 60-year-old president denies that there is discrimination against gays, but has criticised them for failing to increase Russia’s population, which has declined sharply since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.

Source: http://freethinker.co.uk/2013/06/12...e-with-draconian-blasphemy-and-anti-gay-laws/
    :(

11. odonII

odonII O

^

Human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell, who was beaten and arrested four times for participating in successive Moscow Gay Pride parades, from 2007 to 2011, said in a statement:

This new law is symptomatic of Putin’s increasing authoritarianism and his crackdown on civil society. It violates the Russian constitution, which guarantees freedom of expression, and the European Convention on Human Rights, which Russia has signed and pledged to uphold. Although the law is ostensibly aimed at prohibiting the dissemination of so-called ‘gay propaganda’ to young persons under 18, in reality it will criminalise any public advocacy of gay equality or same-sex HIV education where a young person could potentially see it.

In practice, gay marches, festivals, posters, magazines, books, welfare advice and safer sex education will be at risk of criminal prosecution. It is a blanket censorship of any public expression of same-sex love or gay human rights. This is likely to result in the purging of many books, films and plays from libraries, schools, theatres and cinemas, including many classic works of art and literature. It is one of the harshest laws against gay freedom of expression anywhere in the world.

Other critics say the bill – a nationwide version of laws already in place in several cities including Putin’s hometown of St Petersburg – would in effect ban all gay rights rallies and could be used to prosecute anyone voicing support for homosexuals.
    Said Viktoria Malyasova, 18.

12. mkay01

mkay01 Member

Go russia !!!! Go putin !!!

13. odonII

odonII O

Go where?

14. mkay01

mkay01 Member

Google what that means pls

15. unedited

unedited Member

I saw a piece on BBC Newsnight about this law when it was passed in June. The government representative explicitly stated that public displays of affection would be considered 'promotion' - but it's ok, because most of the time it would only result in an on the spot fine.

I looked for a link briefly - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22862210 - was the best I could do. There's no mention of 'public displays of affection' but I'll at least say the OP was consistent with the report I saw.

16. odonII

odonII O

17. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Google what douchbag means pls.

18. Wolfman's Brother

Wolfman's Brother Member

what happened to peace & love

19. unedited

unedited Member

putin banned them.

20. Voyage