Running

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by daisymae, Jun 1, 2013.

1. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I went for my first run today. Didn't go too far, I have to work my way up to distances.
    Anybody have advice for a beginner?

I need to lose this baby weight. I feel so fat.

2. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

I think the best way to lose weight is just to eat less and cut down on the booze

it takes a hell of a lot of exercise to burn not many calories

but running is good cardiovascular exercise so it'll be good for your heart anyway

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I would start off by walking a few miles a day for a couple weeks before getting into running. Fast walking is good cardio, too. Don't beat yourself up, and take it slow. Ease your way into a routine. Don't just dive in head first, or you will just be setting yourself up for disappointment.

4. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I also want to get fit, though. My joints bother me when I'm not in shape and I get tired easy...

5. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I do walk quite a bit, pushing a stroller, of course.

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Also, cut as much sugar and starchy carbs out from your diet as possible. You will see a significant loss in weight from that alone.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I would recommend doing walk/run intervals instead of trying to run a long distance right off the bat. Maybe run for 5 minutes, walk for 5 minutes, etc. Also, eat a lot of potassium rich foods like bananas. Potassium helps prevent runners cramps.

I used to run every day and I never learned to love it. I hated every minute of it, actually. I'm thoroughly convinced the runner's high is a myth because I chased that high for two years and never found it.

8. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

I find "running" to be a frustrating weight loss program. Think about a 2 mile power walk everyday. It's more enjoyable, and with equipment like toning shoes, and arm weights, and integrating a sprint (ie interval work) is very rewarding. Use headphones too! Don't take in more calories than you need.

9. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

I ran up until days before I gave birth and then again 3 weeks post partum. It's really great for weight management, at least for me. Are you running outdoors or on a treadmill? I usually run on my treadmill. Perhaps you want to start slow and steady? After having the baby, I ran only at about 5 mph for the first couple of weeks.

10. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

^^^
    This.
    Also warm up your joints before running, then run slowly for a few minutes to warm up your body. At the end of the exercise take time to cool down and stretch your muscles.
    Some people like to do a few stretches before running as well.

Doing run/walk intervals is great, because you can see what suits you best and in time running will get easier and intervals longer :). You can start with intervals of 3 minutes running and 2 or 1 minutes walking.
    It's important to focus on the time you spend running, the miles don't matter.

Slower speed is better for burning fat and building endurance than sprints.

You can determine your optimal speed by your heart rate.
    While you're walking, you can easily check it with the help of your phone. After you've done that a few times, you will realise when you're running too fast without even having to check your pulse.

Here's how you determine what should be your maximum heart rate during exercise:
    1. Calculate your maximum heart rate, which is: 220-your age.
    2. Maximum heart rate during exercise: 0.7x maximum heart rate
    To burn fat and build endurance, your hart rate during exercise should be 60-70% of your maximum heart rate.

I think you'll be surprised how slow and easy running at that heart rate actually is.

Measuring heart rate with your phone:
    1. There are apps for smart phones that measure heart rate. All you have to do is press your finger to the camera of your phone. The camera detects the colour changes of your skin, which are related to the blood flow (pulse).
    2. The other easy way of estimating your heart rate is to look at the timer (app) while feeling the pulse at your wrist. It you count three beats in a second, you were running too fast.

I hope this helps :) Have fun

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Run until you’ve stretched the limits of your endurance, then repeat daily. [​IMG]

Hotwater

12. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

You've had another baby? How exciting, congratulations :D Boy or girl?

I tried doing the couch to 5k plan to lose baby weight, a few people I know did it and are now running marathons so figured I'd try it. But then pretty quickly I realised I hate running. :D So it didn't work for me but it does seem like a very good way of getting into running properly. Google it. :D

I started doing interval training with cardio and weights a few years ago, it's completely changed my body and I'm in better shape now than I was before getting pregnant. Check out Rushfit workout, that's what I started with (forever grateful to GSP :D) and I just do the workouts at home so that's convenient too.

13. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Thanks, Kosmic! Yes, I have a little girl to balance out my boys. :D they love her to death, she can get away with anything, lol.

I am starting slow, with running/walking intervals. A friend of mine started a few years ago and she runs marathons now. She's also incredibly fit. My legs are killing me today, but I'm not giving up yet. I know the unused muscle pain is only temporary...

14. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Kudos for starting as it is really hard to get started!!

It will get easier and you will feel better, promise. :)

15. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I'm a fan of running/jogging

[​IMG]

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, get a bike or a pool pass instead. running is fucking torture.

like others have said, do the intervals. the current consensus seems to be that interval training is more effective than continuous training anyway.

17. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

You have a 4th kid? Holy crap, hot mama. Congrats.

They have programs online for you to follow that seem to work for people that I know. You start running for 5 minutes, then take a break, then run 5 more minutes, etc.

18. Lodog

Lodog ¿

Running is torture, but I love a good run in cold weather at night.

You get a nice little high afterwards.

19. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I got the most wicked sports bra, firm support. :D These DD's will not be bouncing.
    I have both, but I want other options, since we are pretty busy and I can't always get away for long blocks of time.

No, only 3. I'm just still fat 2 1/2 years later. :(

20. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

I have lost a fair bit by cutting out by cutting down on beer, bread and walking to work every day (40 min walk each way).
    I still have a bit to lose and will probably need to do some more intensive exercise to lost the last few kilos.
    I know what you mean about feeling tired, gross and fat. I hate it. :(