Running With Scissors: A Memoir

Discussion in 'Biography' started by Radish08, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Radish08

Radish08 Member

Has anyone read "Running With Scissors?"

It's the memoir of Augusten Burroughs... just a regular guy with an incredibly fucked-up upbringing.
    I just read it last week and saw the movie last night, and his story was pretty entertaining but I'm not quite sure what to make of it.
    I thought the movie would've been more successful than it was... I haven't really heard anyone talking about it.
    It's gotten me curious.

2. gempoet

gempoet Member

Hey Radish,

I've read the book and seen the movie...and I liked them both. I thought it was funny and inspiring. What did you think about it?

I read an article stating that the "Finch" family (that's not their real family name) was upset and filed a lawsuit against Augusten Burroughs. Apparently they're claiming that most of what's in his book never actually happened. Burroughs, however, says he has journals from his time with them to prove he documented everything.

I don't know...I still liked it.

3. Daisie

Daisie Member

Weird. I was just about to do a search on this topic.

I read the book a while ago, and just watched the movie last night.

I really enjoyed the book, but found the movie mildly disappointing.
    I understand with a novel like this it would be difficult to create a two hour long movie, but I felt it was really shallow, focusing more on random events than the characters themselves.

Maybe I just hyped myself up for the movie too much after reading such a great book and disappointment was inevitable.

4. vodoo chile

vodoo chile Member

i think this sounds cool so i ordered a copy of it this week and it should be here next week.looking forward to reading this one myself.

5. aliandthebaba

aliandthebaba Member

his mother is a lot like mine.
    without the psychotic breakdowns though-just the mental delusions.

6. dances in pajamas

dances in pajamas strange little girl

I loved this book, and I've lent it to people who loved it too. It's an amazing book, and Augusten Burroughs's writing is just so awesome. Completely entertaining.

His other memoirs are great too. I highly recommend reading all his books. Running with Scissors is one of my all-time favourite books, but the movie doesn't do it the slightest bit of justice.