Running barefot on Pavement or other hard surfaces..

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by iamwhatiam, May 10, 2004.

1. iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam Banned

:confused: Is it bad for the bones in your feet/legs?

2. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Here are a couple of sites. I jog barefoot on pavement occassionally. It doesn't bother my feet or legs as long as I land on my toes instead of the heels. Running barefoot on grass is very healthy and comfortable. I do this often. It works all the muscles in my legs, feet, and toes, more than when in shoes.

http://www.sportsci.org/jour/0103/mw.htm

http://www.runningbarefoot.org/

3. Silverrose

Silverrose Member

OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH!!!!! :( I would think that would HURT!!!!

4. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

ive did this before.

it doesnt really hurt, but you can tell the difference.

5. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

it might not hurt when your are doing it but it might have some long term effects

6. miabubble

miabubble Member

you certainly walk differently, but its not had any bad effects on me and ive been doing it for years.

be careful of glass though :(

also make sure you clean your feet thoroughly every night, because i got a verucca and its only just went away, and they can get really uncomfortable!

7. iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam Banned

what is verucca? I go without washing my feet for days...will I catch verucca?

8. NewAgeHippie2200

NewAgeHippie2200 Member

I heard running barefoot on harder surfaces a lot will make you get flat feet faster.

9. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

Running barefoot doesn't hurt or harm your feet as long as you take some care in building up to it; don't run a marathon barefoot if you have never run without shoes :)
    When running, even more so than when walking, you'll land on the ball of your foot, thus using the foot as a 'spring' rather than landing on the heel where you jar your foot, legs, knees and entire body. Your feet are their own shock absorbers, and are actually better than all those padded shoes. Many of those *look* nice and thick, however they don't work well, if at all! There was a nice article about that some time back, don't remember where exactly, how most of those shoes did very little. And no, you do not get flat feet from barefooting, at all!!!! Your feet will get stronger from it instead. As makes sense if you think about it rather than repeat what 'people say' or whatever: any muscle in our body benefits from using it, and from training it -except, somehow, most people believe *feet* can't handle the stress and need support. Unless you do anything really, really weird with them -like indeed going out for a long run when you've never done without shoes before, as with any muscle or other system in our bodies, be sensible about training it- or perhaps if you're enormeously overweight -in which case your feet and legs have a lot more to carry than they were designed for- you're fine barefoot, walking or running, even on pavement.
    There was also a very nice article about barefoot Rikshaw pullers who had very little, if any, foot problems; they run barefoot on pavement all day long, every day, far more than any recreational runner ever will! They certainly didn't have flat feet.

10. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

Many a time have I booked it whilst barefoot upon pavement... It doesn't hurt, if you know how to run properly.

11. bfrank

bfrank Member

That is ridiculous. Just another myth. In the first place, you imply that running barefoot will make you get flat feet, because you say that running barefoot on harder surfaces will make them get flat faster. None of this could be further from the truth.

Myranya did an excellent job of explaining this.

12. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

Well I already have flat feet.

I don't think it's going to put any more stress on your bones than it would with shoes on. Unless those retarded-looking shock absorbing shoes really work.

13. DG2001

DG2001 Member

Flat feet? Well, let's see them!

Ah, I remember you are still getting the batteries for your digital camera... what kind of batteries does it use, cold-fusion ones??? :)

Even Dr. Emmet Brown, the guy at "Back to the Future" managed to get fuel for his time machine and you cannot get a couple of batteries :)

Regards

DG

14. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

Hahah, leave me alone. We got batteries, now I just need to get Krissy to my house, since I'm not allowed out anymore.

15. DG2001

DG2001 Member

He he he! :)

Regards

DG