rubber band balls

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Fractual_, May 15, 2004.

1. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i made one recently, it was kinda fun.

you start by making a knot out of a few rubber bands until it is big enough to wrap whole rubber bands around.

then just keep wrappin em till its to the size of your likin.

you can also start with a crumpled piece of paper or something if you have trouble getting it started.

have fun!

2. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

I've always wondered how those things are made! I think they're pretty nifty. :) Do you know about how many rubberbands you used in yours?

3. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

hmm...

-examines-

probably 100-140

its a little bigger than a golf ball.

4. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Awesome! I'm going to do that. I'll need something else to do this summer aside from sitting online all the time. :)

I was watching this show once called Ripley's Believe It Or Not. These people made this HUGE rubberband ball (about the size of a washing machine, no lie!), took it up in a helecopter above this empty field and dropped it. WHY they did that, I don't know, but the whole thing gave me goosebumps! When it first hit the ground, it left a nice sized hole (or crater, if you want to call it that), then bounced off to the side. Rubberbands were popping off of it left and right, and you can hear some of the rubberbands on the inside popping. And it stayed popping like that for about an hour after they dropped it. Ugh! It was disgusting!

Well, not disgusting, just...ugh! You know how it is when something gives you chills or goosebumps? *shudders* It just feels icky. lol But I still thought it was neat. :)

5. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

yeah you have to be careful playing with them... sometimes rubber bands pop right off.

i wonder how they got rubber bands the size of a washing machine...what did they drop it on, a field, or concrete, what?

6. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

I have no idea what size rubberbands they used. I used to work at our local library, and we had these really big, industrial rubberbands that we used to pack boxes. I don't know if they could contribute to making a ball that big, though. Possibly.

They dropped it in a plain dirt field with some weeds here and there. Looked like it was out in the desert somewhere. It was rather pointless if you ask me, but neat to see just for novelty reasons. :)

7. Dilapidated

Dilapidated Member

HOLY CRAP! I wanna do that! Yes. I think I will.

I once bought a rubber band ball then got curious and took it apart to see what was in the middle. Nothing. It was so disappointing. Then me and my friend strung them ALL together (it made about 100 feet of rubber bands) and went outside and had fun. It was great. Buying it kinda defeats the purpose though.

8. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

How did they stretch out the rubber bands on the outside to make it that big??? Did they just start tying them on???

9. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Some of them DID look tied on, because I saw some knots on the outside of it.

I wonder if I could find a pic online...

10. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I'd like to drop my sister out of a helicopter. It would be cool if the whole she left was shaped like her, like in Roger Rabbit or something. :)

11. Dilapidated

Dilapidated Member

12. galvatron

galvatron Member

hahaaaaa....last summer my friend and i were 'voluntarily fired' from volunteering at the library for making too many rubber band balls & dispersing them throughout the library. ahhh..those were the good times

13. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

i made one years ago (it came in a kit, yes the kit was actually just coloured elastics. luckily I didnt buy it lol.)

14. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

that reminds me of my grandmother's collection of rubber bands... she has the best rubber band ball pile you've ever seen...