RT, I present to you the most foul, disgusting beer ever. *PIC*

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Gravity, Feb 18, 2009.

1. zihger

zihger Senior Member

America has tons of micro brew..

And tons of hoppy pales IPAs ESBs to name a couple much more bitter then the average European pilsner or lager.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Some great beers come from Germany, such as Aventinus Weizenbock, which is one of my top five favorite beers. It's just that when most people think of German beer, they think of Beck's and St. Pauli Girl. Overall, I think the best beers are from Belgium, though perhaps I am biased. Germany is a close second, but I also consider US and Canadian craft brews right near the top also.

Grolsch is a Dutch beer, BTW. It's average at best, but I like it.

3. zen_arcade

zen_arcade Banned

What are the other 4 in your top 5?

4. Pressed_Rat

Leffe is probably the most mainstream Belgian ale. It's not very good, IMO. It's decent, but has an artificial sweetness that tastes more like a pseudo-Belgian. It's way overpriced, too.

At the top you have the Westvleterens and the Rocheforts. Those are the kings of Belgian beers.

5. Pressed_Rat

1)Rochefort Abt. 12
    2)St. Bernardus tripel
    3)Orval
    4)Aventinus
    5)Ommegang Hennepin

6. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Senior Member

True that, but I was talking more about being offered one at a friendly social/party. I don't know if I'd buy something that pricey, shit I haven't even bought Yuengling in the longest because of the price. However over the Hoildaze I was drinking that Magic Hat variatea box, and it was like 13 bucks a 12 pack.

Really here lately I've just been drinking Jim Beam on weekends. With no beer throughout the week.

7. Pressed_Rat

Yuengling is pretty cheap. A 12-pack is under 10 bucks.

8. zen_arcade

zen_arcade Banned

Interesting.
    So far I've only had the last one.

9. nesta

nesta Banned

fucking excellent choice.

but yeah, when you're thinking of your typical pilsners and helles and so on, german beers are good but nothing beyond the ordinary.

but even with a strong emphasis on lager beers, germany offers some excellent brews. personal favorites include kostritzer swarzbier (monschoff swarzbier, as well), monschoff kellerbrau, salvator doppelbock (i know, i know, because of it's character you don't think of doppelbock as a lager), celebrator doppelbock, and even some standard golden lagers like spaten and becks do have a special place in my heart. also average german dunkels are quite nice, even if they're nothing orgasmic. i do quite enjoy st pauli girl's and beck's dunkels.

and the bavarian wheat beers, including hefeweizens, are magnificent, of course. aventinus weizen doppelbock is marvelous, as is their weizen eisbock. i'm also a big fan of paulaner, franziskaner, and weihenstephaner hefeweizens.

then there are some altbiers, like uerige sticke which are just lovely.

don't get me wrong, you know i have a penchant for belgian beers, as well as good beers from the UK, ireland, and north america, but i'm just saying that germany makes some wonderful brews. thats all.

but as for the artificial sweetness found in leffe, i've only had it once and cannot really remember it all too well, but i remember you praising it quite highly a year or two ago in springtime. still, tastes change and perhaps i just remember incorrectly. however, i have noticed similar things with some other highly venerated belgians. for example, st bernardus is too sweet without enough body for a beer as sweet as it is, imo. i think its from (arguably excessive) use of candi sugar as an adjunct fermentable which doesnt add body, but not knowing the recipes for various beers i can't really back this up. edit: i can't remember which st bernardus i had this impression from, but i think it was a strong dark ale.

10. nesta

nesta Banned

i highly recommend trying the aventinus asap, and rochefort is great as well.

orval is fucking stellar:cheers2:

11. Pressed_Rat

You probably heard me praising the Leffe Brune, which is very good. I was referring to the original Leffe Blonde, which is alright but very commercial tasting. It just has that mass-produced taste.

12. zen_arcade

zen_arcade Banned

Believe me I will. I intended to get some Orval about a year ago, but it slipped my mind until it was mentioned in this here thread.

I had 3 great beers last night, but I can only remember the name of the first one, which was Allagash. I was told it's aged in Jim Beam barrels. Can anyone confirm this?

13. zen_arcade

zen_arcade Banned

I just googled it and it's true. Allagash Curieux. That's pretty badass.

14. Pressed_Rat

Yeah, Allagash is a great American brewery located in Maine. I also notice their beers are a bit more affordable than a lot of the other American craft breweries.

15. nesta

nesta Banned

idk, i'm pretty certain it was the blonde. but i could be wrong.

i just remember you saying it was great for springtime because its got a good flavor and isn't so strong as to get you too drunk after a sixpack. i'd never tried a blonde before, thats why it sticks out in my memory. but what the hell, i really don't know at all, and i do sometimes mix things up in my mind:eek:

16. nesta

nesta Banned

hell, what do i care. i love some craft beers, but i can very rarely afford them anymore, unless they're locals or particularly well priced (salvator, for instance)

tonight i'm drinking a couple pints of steel reserve :cheers2:

17. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Senior Member

maybe where you are, but it's not here. It's like 12.99 that without tax.

That Magic Hat was 12.99 that was with tax and everything

18. zihger

zihger Senior Member

This is my latest favorite beer.. This stuff rocks

[​IMG]

It is an IPA but is just full of nice finish hops the most complex IPA I have ever had.

But pricey $9.00 a 6 pack probably because of all the extra hops they put in.

19. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

CORRECTION: This is the worst beer ever.

[​IMG]

20. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

i had that a couple of months ago, it is really good. i love IPAs and that one is really thick and hoppy, piney tasting.... delicious. and 12oz gets you feeling a bit tipsypants.