Roseanne

Discussion in 'TV Comedies and Sitcoms' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Apr 4, 2018.

1. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

17 pages lmao that people still care about this garbage

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Storch I can't enter into an argument on this subject any longer with you as you choose to redefine the terms I use to suit your own objectives.

You don't like me using the idiom "rein in" in regards to ABC and Roseanne Barr. Big deal. I admit I spelled it reign instead of rein, but I'm terrible at typing and missed the spelling error.
    So you don't like me using idioms....I don't really care.

Regardless, you nit pick over my choice of words in order to deflect from the facts.

I'll amend my statement but it won't really matter to you:
    I'm done conversing with you on this subject.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

[​IMG]

4. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

Roseanne is dumb

5. storch

storch banned

You misunderstand me. I don't mind that you use idioms. But I don't think I'm out of line when I inform you that your idiom does not apply since complains about, and grievances with, Roseanne do not equate to "reining her in" any more than my complaint about you misuse of an idiom equates to reining you in.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  6. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I would think that historically it has been 'conservatives' that have been running their mouths and making all the rules. It has only been recently that people can speak their minds without fear of being burned at the stake or whatnot. Being able to elect our own representatives in government is also a liberal idea, as is the freedom to practice whatever religion you wish, petition the government, peaceably assemble...Bill Of Rights stuff.

Kiss a liberal today, you owe them a lot. ;)

MeAgain likes this.
  7. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Liberal ideas are no longer a partisan label. You can thank the Republicans for the Civil Rights Act of 1960, The Desegregation Act, The election of the first minorities and women. More recently this week the relaxing of federal restrictions of pot is being considered.

To name a few.

All pretty liberal concepts.

Kiss a Republican twice. They did all of this and let a baker bake cakes for whom he wants.

They did all of this without attempting to rewrite a Constitution, tear down the principles that founded this country, or try and tell us that we need to take a back seat to our history and culture in order to make our country more accepting of everyone else's culture, religions and beliefs.

Make that 3 kisses. :)

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

So, you hate liberals, but we are supposed to thank republicans for their liberal ideals.

How do you fit all that in your head at one time?

MeAgain, Asmodean and Meliai like this.
  9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Ah, now we've gotten to the crux of it

This country does not belong solely to you and people who think and look like you.

Okiefreak likes this.
  10. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

You propose that I am the only one that feels this way? Gosh I'm shocked......:sarcasm emoji:

You poor victim of not thinking you are being treated fairly because you can't make the country feel like you do.

The Crux of it.

11. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I don't hate liberals as a concept. I'd love to incorporate many liberal ideas if we could. As an example, HealthCare to ALL citizens.......GREAT GREAT GREAT idea. If we can figure out how to do it and still remain solvent that is.

I hate liberals that take an unrealistic approach to solving problems that serve fewer and fewer people, all in the name of getting a vote. Doesn't matter what party flag they wave. Although it seems to have shifted to it being a particularly problematic problem for the Democratic party more recently.

And I hate the current demeanor and manner that both sides have resorted to in order to think they are making points with their voters.

Our country hasn't gone downhill due to its conservatism. We've had the same issues of poverty, race, civil rights since the 60s. And after that we still did pretty good. Now we have bigger problems than these that need to be solved now. The Democratic liberals seem to disagree with that part. Lets go back and eff up what got accomplished got cuz it ain't good enough, and we can get votes. Fuck it if the country is in the toilet and needs to be fixed because we drain its resources for liberal causes.

Not hard at all to get my head around that.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Oh no, i definitely know you're not the only one who feels that way.

I dont think i'm a victim or think i'm being treated unfairly so I have no idea where you're going with the second paragraph

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Hmm really? The Iraq War? The recession? Doesnt ring a bell?

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Such shameless spin! We can thank Dwight Eisenhower for the Civil Rights Act of 1960. He was a kind of Republican we haven't seen much since, and probably never will. That may be because he wasn't a Republican until he ran on that ticket in 1953. The act was certainly commendable. It established federal inspection of local voter registration rolls. It wouldn't have passed without the support of his Democrat Congress. Majority Leader Mike Mansfeld of Montana, a Democrat, backed it and Majority Whip, Democrat Hubert Humphrey , kept tabs on Senators to ensure the bill had the numbers to overcome a filibuster. Not to minimize the act, but it was soon eclipsed by the monumental Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1965 passed by a Democrat President and Congress. From then on, the Republicans mainly obstructed civil rights legislation. Tricky Dick ran a "Law and Order" campaign full of dog whistles about the black menace as part of his "Southern Strategy". And it worked. The "Solid South" that used to be Southern Democrat is now Southern (racist) Republican. Which is why it's so misleading to try to cast the Republicans as liberal on the issue. Desegregation of the armed forces was accomplished by Democrat President Harry Truman's executive order in 1948. As for women's rights, the 19th Amendment was signed into law by Democrat President Woodrow Wilson. And that "Desegregation Act" you claim Republican credit for. What was that? When was it passed? Why doesn't it show up in a google search?The election of the first minorities? You need to elaborate on that one. Are we going back to Reconstruction?

And that's a shame. The "Party of Lincoln" has fallen on bad times and been taken over by southerners and corporate robber barons who are more concerned with their balance sheets than anybody else's rights. And they're "considering" legalizing pot? How considerate. Republican AG Jeff Beauregard Sessions will have a cow! Remember the "War on Drugs" introduced by Republican President Richard Nixon and pursued with such vigor by Republican President Saint Ronald Reagan? In other words, I think you're being a tad selective in your facts. Kiss a Republican twice? You can Kiss My Ass.

MeAgain likes this.
  15. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

You of all people would understand spin. And selective fact finding.

How far back do you want to go? In discussing liberal vs conservative views each party has been periodically better or worse at either. Going back as far as you like. This is why we are free to choose by policy rather than party if we desire. I have voted on both sides of the party lines. It depends on what that party is at the time. I'll remind you if you didn't recall or have never heard it. I voted for Obama his first time out. After that fucking we got, I'll be less likely to vote that party again for awhile until they change to a party that I can believe in. And I may say the same with this administration given time. Which will mean they (both parties) will lose my support across the board. Which doesn't bother me.

And I promise on all I stand for, I will never ever ask you you to kiss or do anything else to my ass. I won't allow some standards to ever be breached.

Since you often reach back into early American history to espouse your points towards your arguments, I'll do so a little for your response.

Abraham Lincoln, perhaps you know his accomplishments, was a Republican.

Specific to women:

1916 the first woman ever elected to office was a Republican by the name of Jeanette Rankin. There have been others since of course.

And this is all in one Republican Administraion.

1980 – Paula Hawkins of Florida, a Republican, becomes the first woman to be elected to the U.S. Senate without following her husband or father in the job.
    1981 - Sandra Day O'connor, is the first woman to serve on the Supreme Court.
    1983 Dr. Sally K. Ride becomes the first American woman to be sent into space.
    1986 – The U.S. Supreme Court held that a work environment can be declared hostile or abusive because of discrimination based on sex.

Yeah them Republicans hate them blacks and women.

The parties shift in their policies. I follow policies.

16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Not giving the 1% so many tax breaks comes to mind...

But that's none of my business, right?

17. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Fair game.

Making those receiving social assistance paid for by the 1%, provide community service hours should go hand in hand with that.

Taking from the rich and not from the those they support, will simply make the rich move elsewhere. You can't make them poor if they aren't here.

18. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

You're claiming the Supreme Court as Republican? Meritor Savings Bank v. Vinson was a 9-0 decision. What on earth does Sally Ride's political affiliation have to do with the issue? The first woman elected to the U.S. Senate was a Democrat, Hattie Caraway, from Arkansas in 1932. In the current Congress, Democrats, while outnumbered by Republicans, have six times more minorities and three times more women in the two houses. Of the 21 women currently serving in the Senate, 16 are Democrats. You dodged some important questions. What was the Desegregation Act you claimed Republican credit for? You ask how far back I want to go? The Nixon Adminstration will do. Most of the glories you claim for the Republican Party lie in the remote past. What has it done for blacks lately? Of course we can cite Ben Carson, our Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, whose less than stellar performance and taste for expensive furniture have made him a legend in his own time. As for women, I might bring up Oklahoma's Republican Governor Mary Fallin, who may be the country's worst governor. Mary Fallin: Country's worst governor? . Do you think you're fooling anybody with this shuck n' jive?

MeAgain and soulcompromise like this.
  19. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

The first woman elected to an office was a Republican. The fact that Democrats also do it means what to the answer? OK yeah the Democrats did it again after the Republicans did it the first time. I guess this means you somehow will say my fact doesn't matter to your fact. The first elected minority into office was also done by the Republicans in 1938.

And to show your selective fact finding lets elaborate a little more on what you left out. The 1940 RNC presidential platform had a plank: “Discrimination in the civil service, the army, navy, and all other branches of the Government must cease.” FDR and Truman are then blamed for “refusing” to integrate until in ’48 Truman “complied” with the “Republicans’ demands for racial justice in the US military.”

It was Eisenhower that sent troops to Little Rock, Arkansas in 1957 to enforce racial desegregation in schools.

Then you espouse about the CR bill of 1964 being far superior than the one passed in 1960. Lets take a look at how that got voted on. More Democrats opposed it than Republicans. In the House: 136 of 171 Republicans voted in favor of it. That's 80%. 153 of 244 Democrats voted in favor. That's 63%. In the Senate: 27 of 33 Republicans voted in favor of it. That's 82%. 46 of 67 Democrats voted in favor of it. That's 69% It was passed by a wider majority of Republican than Democrat vote and wisely signed into law by the Democratic President. Just to make sure we don't lose track of the hatred you are sure the Republicans had for your beloved 1964 ACT.

So first you want to hear what they did to help women and minorities. After you go back to past history yourself. Then you begin to narrow your history down to the past 40 years when you don't like that you can't back that the Republicans actually did support causes you hope they didn't. So now we have a rule change in mid argument to try and salvage your point of view. That's OK we are used to it.

And since you seem to want to start with Nixon. Have you finally chosen a time frame you can live with now?

From 1969 to 1971,Federal purchases geared towards Black Owned Business resulted in revenues for black businesses jumping from $4.5 billion in 1968 to $7.26 billion in 1972. By 1974, two-thirds of the 100 largest black enterprises had been started during the Nixon administration.

In 1969, 600,000 blacks attended desegregated schools in the South; one year later 3 million had been integrated. By percentage in 1968, nearly 70 percent of black children were segregated from their white peers; by the end of Nixon’s first term it was just 8 percent.

U.S. National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). 1970.
    Returning the Blue Lake to the people of Taos Pueblo in 1970.
    Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972.
    Restored the recognition to the Menominee Indian tribe in 1973.
    Endangered Species Act of 1973.
    Increasing the budget of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) by 214%.
    Passing the Indian Financing Act of 1974, a bill supporting tribal commercial development.

That's a few for Nixon that didn't take much effort.

I've already covered Reagan.

If you don't think NASA and politics go hand in hand, boy are you clueless. Reagan is the one that required the selection of a female astronaut league.

Who passed the most sweeping Environmental Legislation ever enacted at the time? I'll give you a hint. It was 1990

The first black woman to ever serve as Secretary of State was selected by a Republican named George Bush.

I'm just getting warmed up.

Yeah the Republicans hate them women and minorities.

New time frame selection now?

20. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

You're embarrassing yourself and you don't seem to know it. Living in the past, rambling on about past glory days days of Lincoln without showing much awareness that those Southern segregationists moved over to the Republican Party as a result of Nixon's Southern strategy and are calling the shots in that party now. Bringing up the environment is risky business, now that Scott Pruitt is EPA Administrator and most Republicans are in denial about global warming Yes indeedy, Nixon backed more environmental legislation than any other President, although we know from the Watergate tapes that he thought environmentalism was a joke and he seems to have wanted to preempt Sen. Muskie, his likely opponent. Nixon's environmentalism soon gave way to his Energy Crisis and the need for "tradeoffs". Do you think that by changing the subject to the enivironment you can divert out attention to the fact that he pursued that Southern Strategy and had a terrible civil rights record. And Bush '41 ran against Willie Horton. Give him his due for the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments, but his son was another story. You can rave on but you're not fooling anybody. Your arguments sound like the ones Archie Bunker would come up with, and should be set to the same music "Those were the Days."
    archie bunker theme song - Yahoo Video Search Results

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Tyrsonswood likes this.