root flipping

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Luxiebow, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Pat__

Pat__ Banned

It will cause thin roots in the long run. By sticking a solid dread through your roots, it doesnt let the new hair fully tangle because the dread acts a barrier and seperates your roots into 2 thin sections.

2. tassefras

tassefras Member

I some times do it, because 'stil undreaded' parts of my dreads (which are just roots right now, but used to be more when they were just little babies) go wobbly and weird like a 'zig-zag' when I wash my hair.

The thing is to not stick your dread through the middle of your root. That will indeed leave two small roots and a hole. I always take a little (little!) bit of root from the outside of the root and stick my dread through the gap that it creates. This way your root becomes tighter (make sure it's not too tight) and you won't see too much of it later.

Of Course like everybody else said its not really neccesary.

3. tannaleigh

tannaleigh Member

oh ya... just a little of the hair... or like the big looping you have going on to tighten it up....

and pat... thats way to tight if the dread is going to act like a barrier... come on up to baseline and inspect my dreads cuz i root flipped for like.... 6-7 months.... i can't tell if my dreads are weaker in spots because they're hard as rocks :p

4. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

Oh, this is also called the interlocking method, for anyone who might be thinking of using it.

5. amybird

amybird Senior Member

I'm not sure I like the texture it creates. Obviously that's neither here nor there though :p

6. tannaleigh

tannaleigh Member

amy, it only makes that texture if you do it all over all the time...

7. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Yeh I know. But even just one flip, the turned around straight-looking bit of hair...just not fussed on it, and wouldn't choose it myself :)

8. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

those loops that form on the top of your head are from when the hair grows out and is beginning to knot on its own. Root flipping prevents the auto-knotting (lol... couldn't think of a better word). Some people do like the look of flipped roots, but unless you keep up with it with all new growth you'll have some spots on the dreads that are thinner than others (flipping prevents them from thickening up) as well as those spots looking more braid-like.

9. amybird

amybird Senior Member

If you flip a root at someone is it like the dready equivalent of flipping the bird? :p

10. Bubbletonic

Bubbletonic Member

did it myself along time ago when i had alot of undreaded hair on some dreads around my face and the top of my head, so the undreaded hair stuck up and i didnt like it >.< so i did the flipping thing, which was an ok quick fix, but the two twisy sections it leaves either side arent very nice, so just clockwise rub instead

11. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

ok, so I just banged my head on one of my kitchen cupboard doors right on the spot where I root flipped lol, think I'll take it as karma and never do it again :p

12. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

i've done it on a couple but i kinda like loose roots, i definitely won't do it when my dreads get longer.

13. nz_tripper

nz_tripper Member

this was the method my "loctician" used was good at the time tidy looking dreadz but 3 years later alot of them have holes and just twisted hair rather than soft matty goodness also caused some hair breakage wich made really skinny parts of dread and tips 1 - 4 inches have broken off much to my dispair

14. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

i root flipped all of mine, if anything it made them heaps tighter.
    my boyf does it ALL the time and you cant notice.

15. scatteredleaves

scatteredleaves Smelly Hobo

really? the few times ive seen it, its very noticeable. my guy has a dread that he flipped years ago. its way down near the tip of the lock, but its totally noticeable and i knew right away that it was a flip.

16. Pat__

Pat__ Banned

same here

17. heads you live

heads you live Member

with my old dreads i flipped them all the time, it didn't seem to affect the locking process at all, just tidy-d up the fluffyness.... but i was using wax, also, so there was way MORE fluff then there probably should have been.... now i only do it if there is a dread on top that gets a huge bulge right at the top and it's bugs me enough that i have to do something about it.... LOL :) like, i flipped two of my dreads once.... but i usually flip them a couple of times in different directions so that the loose hair is nice and anchored .... :) i dunno. i don't mess with my dreads a whole lot... and i havn't used wax with these dreads so everything seems to be a lot tighter in general than the old ones were.....

18. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

i root flipped / topsy tailed my roots on my old set of dreads.. found that it stopped them sticking out (did it really to shut my mom up) and i fucking HATED the way it looked. stupid stupid stupid.

19. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

cool:)the reason I did it was cuz my friend who did my dreads told me to do it to lock up the roots.you would never notice w her dreads either and they are super tight and gorgous:Ddifferent strokes for different folks I spose