Romanian Music

Discussion in 'Europe' started by kier, May 13, 2004.

1. kier

kier I R Baboon

I just...aquired some romanian folk music, it's really nice lively and happy :)

anyone know anything about it? i aquired it on a whim, and i'm glad i did :D

i actualy really like folk music, i've got some irish too, but this stuff is really get-up-and-dance stuff :)

2. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I have a friend who's from Romania, his name is Mihai, and I discovered romanian folk music thanks to him! It's really unique, I like it :)

3. borut16

borut16 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

There are some well known jazz bands from Romania. One is coming to our jazz festival next week, and i can't wait to go there:) BUt that's not what you were asking about, was it? :) If it was, just say so, and i can look that guy up.:)

4. oblivionesse

oblivionesse Member

hy people! i am from Romania...but here the folk music is dead...or almost dead...there were some really good bands back in time..but now...they are alomst unknown..and very few people keep listening to them!
    if you want really good folk music...pls contact me(private message or e-mail) and i can support you!but especially with old music...the new one is few and cheap!

5. jacobfredjo

jacobfredjo Senior Member

what are these artists names???? please tell us. Romanian Jazz??? that sounds fucking awesome. But Romanian folk sounds cool to, please let us know who these people are. Thanks!
    Happy Trails

6. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

is Gogol Bordello Romanian? They seem very entertaining, to say the least

7. Gerva

Gerva Member

I'm interested in balcanic music and culture in general, especially the carnival masks from the Carpazi area (the mountains)

8. oblivionesse

oblivionesse Member

Gogol Bordello isn't romanian at all...
    gerva you said you are interested in balcanic music...like popular music or what?
    those masks you said you are interested in are not carnival ones....
    people used them at big celebrations in the past, like Christmas, New year's Eve and Dragobete(a kind of Valentine's day)
    also, they are used at funerals and weddings
    here we have no carnivals, in the occidental acception of this word!
    please gerva don't use the word blacanic when talking about romania! we are not balcanic!!(like grece, macedonia, and so....)

9. jacobfredjo

jacobfredjo Senior Member

Greetings from the midwest oblivionesse.

Can you tell me some good musicians that you like? I would love to hear some music from your country. Thanks!
    Happy Trails

10. chamook

chamook Member

First of all i wanna know if everybody is talking about the same thing: folk music like traditional romanian music or folk musc like kind of hippy music. Second: romania is not a balcanic country (but probabely u know that from geography)...third: Dragobete is not at all a kind of Valentine`s is an ancient celebration of fertility at birds and animals....more than one time a year.
    Ok...romanian folk music (whatever u mean by that) is amazing beautiful but u just have to find the good folk music. For details contact me....

peace

11. oana6

oana6 Member

if u want some authentic romanian music u can search for artists like maria tanase, maria lataretu...or tudor gheorghe...in my opinion the best authentic romanian song is ciocarlia...this song inspired many artists like goran bregovic...the way the song is played...soooooo fast...it makes u wanna go and dance...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=w58vfYWQsjg
    it's true...the old and good romanian music is going down...soon romania will become buried under manele...and that's sad...

12. Goth Scream

Goth Scream Member

Yeah, it's really sad that good old romanian music is getting "extinct" because of manele..But there still are some bands that keep it alive, and i'm not talking necessarily about folk, but about rock for example. Some real good romanian rock bands would be Iris, Vama Veche(separated into Vama and Trupa veche, but still), Celelate Cuvinte, Phoenix(a bit folk too), Taxi and others like these bands which are at least 20 years old. Besides the oldies there are some new bands like Luna Amara, Negura Bunget, Azepam(really new in my city) and many others. If you want romanian songs contact me ;)

13. Georgi

Georgi Member

14. Goth Scream

Goth Scream Member

Well that music is called "manele" and it's the decline of romanian culture..Happy you like it :)

15. quatsch

quatsch Member

hey all, shantel is german as I know and its not Romanian folk music
    and the song's lyric must be
    '...we are living in suburbia..