Roll call... Colorado

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by drumminmama, May 23, 2004.

1. TheLittleOne

TheLittleOne Senior Member

I love the snow! It's gorgeous here in Keystone, riding's sick...Its supposed to snow all week, sweet!

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Hey, on March 19 the Loyalist &Patriot in Englewood (I might have that backward) will hold an OPEN dance and drum session.
    More details later.

3. lenamarina

lenamarina LaLa

Um, the 19th is comin' up. I want details honey. :) Thanks :)

4. drumminmama

the P&L is at the Englewood light rail station/ Inca Street
    7 p.m. $3 cover ANYONE can dance/drum after the quickie introduction.
    www.phoenixdancing.com for more details.

Also Saturday, west side of the capitol at 11:30 drummers begin for a 1 p.m. rally Fallen but not Forgotten. Sat will be the second anniv of teh start of teh Iraq war.
    Come out, come out wherever you are.
    Capitol is Lincoln/14th ( I think.) could be Colfax/15th

5. lenamarina

lenamarina LaLa

I was planning on going to the vigil tomorrow anyway, but wouldn't have gone until 1pm if you hadn't told me about the drummin'. I'll be there with my 8-month-daughter. We like to listen and dance. See you there!

Lena

6. drumminmama

didn't see you. I was along the steps. Long red hair, l/s tie dye drumming with three friends.
    I stayed until the cheerleaders got up.
    The little one with us went into whine mode....grrrr...
    I cracked up when I found out I'd interviewed two speakers! Dahlia Wasfi (Iraqi-American woman promoting Emergency) and Bill Winters (last guy).
    I really liked the poets and the Raging Grannies.

7. lenamarina

lenamarina LaLa

Ooooh, me too! Those grannies were hilarious! Sorry we missed ya. I got there around 1230. We were a little late. So we just caught the end of the drums. Maybe we'll catch each other next time.

8. drumminmama

Everyone give a shout out to a Glenwood Springs boy, Jeremy!

9. jesuswasamonkey

jesuswasamonkey Slightly Tipsy

I'm an evil dirty Texan who just moved to Lakewood (a Denver 'burb) last month. My apartments are a bit ghetto, but it's nothing compared to Dallas so I can cope. Yeah, I'm only here to go to school. The mountains are nice and school is a blast, but I can't wait to get back to the swomp and after Dallas I don't want to live in another anthill any longer than I have to. Besides, for some reason a lot of Coloradans hate me because I'm from Texas. Yeah, that's my biggest complaint about Colorado, the bigotry towards Texans. Please stop, I don't like being cut off in traffic, laughed at by DMV officials, and ignored by my neighbors once my home state is revealed, not that everybody treats me like shit, but enough do that it seriously harshes my buzz just about anytime I go out of my house.

10. wandering_okie

wandering_okie Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I grew up over by Guymon, Oklahoma. Living in Boise, Idaho now,(despite Idaho's conservative politics, there are a lot of open minded people here..unlike Guymon) and don't plan to go back to the "witch hunt" mentality of western oklahoma. I normally don't say mean things about people, but I saw a lot of racial and cultural intolerance there and don't miss a minute of it.

11. drumminmama

once you figure out that red means floor it if someone's behind you, all will work out.
    The REALLY bad driving is by Southern Cali folks.

12. drumminmama

got that right. I worked for the Daily Joke-lahoman nov 2000 to July 2001.
    Lots of weird crap on the cop beat from out there.

13. drumminmama

quick poll: who is SICK of tehis snow? it was 80 a week ago in littleton...and I wasted it doing laundry!

14. merkaba

merkaba Member

Hi all,

I was recently certified in a new healing technique and need to do 50 healings by June in order to qualify to teach. The sessions are free. Anyone in the colorado area, with physical problems no matter how big or small, please contact me at:

vesica1@hotmail.com

Thanks,
    Dan

15. drumminmama

Why don't you say the technique?

16. merkaba

merkaba Member

The technique is called trinity healing...A lot of people are familiar with Reiki? As the story goes...Dr. Usui was familiar with the most famous healer of all...Jesus, and wanted to bring that type of healing into modern day. He was unsure of how to do it, so he fasted and went into meditation for 21 days. On the last day, he was sitting under a tree, and a beam of light hit his forehead and he passed out. When he woke up, all he could see were these symbols which eventually became the reiki symbols. He spent the better part of his life healing with reiki and the new symbols. When he was ready to pass away, he taught someone close to him how to teach this info so it wouldn't be lost. When that person was ready to pass, he did the same. What happened over time, is that each person that received the information changed part of the origonal reiki. After generation, the once pure Reiki has become diluted from what it was intended to be. This is a big debate among practicioners today. Another thing that keeps reiki from being fully effective is that practicioners aren't required to do the spiritual work to keep their skills sharp(meditation, prayer, etc.) This isn't meant as an attack on reiki! There are people that are familiar with this and want to see the purity of Reiki returned, so the full healing energies can be as effective as possible! That's where the trinity techniques come in. Practicioners spend many years in meditation before they are ready, and then must meditate daily to keep up their "spiritual muscles" There is a lot more to it, and a full description is given prior to the healing. Hope this helps.

In god's unconditional love,
    Dan

17. kayte

kayte Member

wondering - drummin mama and others around the littleton area, how do you feel littleton is portrayed in bowling for columbine? when the creators of southpark speak of littleton in such a negative light? i've never been to colorado, nonetheless littleton, however, after hearing those guys speak, i was under the impression that the area was whitewashed, ultra surburban, close minded, and lacked creative outlet. i'm not saying it is; i realize that one must not judge a place based on one persons portrayel.
    still- how do you feel about this portrayel? does it ring true? how has littleton moved on after the columbine shootings? i realize that you just recently moved there. do you recognize the lasting effects that tragedy had on the town?

18. drumminmama

the south Park creators are L-ton kids..long ago. and they are , in some degrees, on the mark.
    Lots of Colorado is white bread...watch SP and be aware that there are these characters in lots of towns.
    It's a red state, no doubt, but some counter culture lives on.
    I cover Highlands Ranch, as said earlier, and THAT is white bread.
    As for Littleton's portrayal, Moore forgot that Columbine is a Jefferson County school, not LPS (I've had to assure many relatives that their grandson/nephew is not going to CHS) and is not actually in Littleton. It's a L-ton addy only. I'm in Arapahoe County, land of white men who cannot spell (Arapaho) and the culture over here in the "bad" side is different from Columbine's side.
    We have art galleries in downtown, and a tat studio. Another wants in, but the city coucil is having a fit over it.
    We are poorer, more likely to use the bus, more likely to be in a duplex and the trailer parks are here (median Colorado house: $290,000, trailers are a vialble option)
    I personally like BFC, esp the Marilyn Manson clip and Chris Rock (i used the $5,000 bullet joke last night after a guy was shot in Five Points accross the road from a venue I was in. He'll be OK. See On the Road for a description of pre-gentrification Five Points)
    Littleton is a 'burb. Littleton is a bit quirky, though.
    If I had my 'druthers, I'd be up Boulder Canyon, but my office is half a mile down hill from my home. A nice thing with gas so high, and snow so deep some mornings. It's easy to hoof it.
    It's close to Red Rocks (15 min), Gothic Theatre (8 min) Downtown Denver (35 min on the light rail, 20 in a car). I see the Rocky Mountains every day, and can be in them in 15 minutes. I can walk to the South Platte River.
    As for creative outlet, that's up to the individual, not the town.

19. kayte

kayte Member

well put. i did not know that littleton was so close to those places mentioned. i know what you mean about all that...you make the best of your situation whatever it may be. i will be in colorado come july to see for myself! thanks for responding.

20. drumminmama

ah! Cheese at the Rocks?