Role of Native Americans in the Civil War. What was the position of the Native American peoples in t

Discussion in 'History' started by Saul50, May 21, 2018.

1. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

The Trail of Tears was in the 1830s. I think both the north, and south were instrumental in instigating that. Keep in mind that Andrew Jackson hated Native Americans.

Nippleman likes this.
  2. sandybrooke

sandybrooke Members

Interesting read, good question! I had the opportunity to meet a few of our native friends in my youth. I left Pennsylvania at 16 and wandered the southwest USA working with and meeting different tribes from the New Mexico area..
    The conditions on the reservations where terrible. Alcoholism was common as was drug abuse. These fuckers like to fight when drunk so the old saying about "fire water" is true. I believe they don't do better because of the government check that keeps them down, just like welfare.
    We Americans can NEVER repay the total occupation of this continent and brutality towards these people.

Nippleman likes this.
  3. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

Alcoholism, and drug abuse is still a problem. The unemployment rate on Pine Ride is 80%. Whereas the US government should be helping these people, it just turns it’s back on them because they are considered sovereign nations, and should fend for themselves.

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

no race is an ideologically, spiritually or culturally monolithic demographic.
    for this reason the topic question itself, is an absurd and illogical self contradiction.
    (nor for that matter, are "native americans" a single race, but of at least three seperate and distict roots,
    even before the hundreds of cultures they had evolve into before the first european contact)

i really wish americans of euro-christian origen would quite being so effing dense about this.

5. Wally Pitcher

Wally Pitcher Members

A few years ago, we left Cody WY and were driving through Montana. We stopped at the Little Bighorn National Monument, which is situated on the Crow Reservation. A Female Student from Montana State University conducted a tour and gave a short history of the Little Bighorn Battlefield. At the end of the talk She asked us If we had any Questions. One well dressed man from the UK, asked how she felt about how Native Americans were treated and how she felt about Living in a Country that still discriminates against Non Whites. Her response surprised me. She said that the Lakota-Sioux people were traditional enemies of the Crow. They had been at war for as long as anyone could remember. The Lakota, Arapaho and Cheyenne participants had taken the Little Bighorn Valley away from the Crow. There were about 200 casualties casualties in the Reno, Custer, and Benteen Force. Most of them were not seasoned troops, mainly adventure seekers from Italy, Germany and the UK. There were also Arikara scouts who perished also. In all the number of Sioux casualties was about 24-29. Most of the Soldiers killed were wounded and had their heads bashed wit rocks by native women. When reinforcements arrived the natives had relocated to the Bighorn Mountains. The US government gave the land to the Crow Nation when hostilities ceased. Opportunities to go to college, especially for native women is better than anytime in history. They just have to have the initiative to grow and thrive in a new country.

6. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

Comanche and Kiowa burnt down lots of forts the Confederates seized from the U.S. in Texas during the Civil War .
    In fact, both Nations thwarted Texas's efforts in the Civil War .

Robert E. Lee was depending on Texan Confederate to fight at Gettysburg, few made it , because they did the bad decision to March thru Comanche and Kiowa territory and were whittled down during that March to Gettysburg.

7. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

I am Comanche, I do Steel Work ( Union ), served as a Marine Desert Shield / Desert Storm / Desert Sabre ) and a Guitar Instructor at a Music Conservatory .

My people had to endure Warefare , Genocide and Discrimination .
    What you posted sounded borderline Racist .

I've been to many parts of the Midwest, Appalachia and the South .

Those people wasted their " White Privilage " on living in the past ( the South Rising Again ) , Opiods, Alcohol, Fentanyl and living in dilapidated trailer parks or chicken shack housing .

Seems like MAGA is encouraging more poor White Folks to lay decadently in their filth, not get a job, educated or getting help .... just as bad as a Rez .

8. mountain_seed

mountain_seed Members

there were so many Native American cultures.. very little universality..

The nomadic Plains Indians generally saw the Civil War as an opportunity to reclaim lost territories and exact vengeance on the Euro invaders crossing their territory (yes.. they claimed territory and also stole hunting grounds from weaker neighbors).. the Great Plains were also being settled as some Eastern emigrants decided to stop and occupy fertile areas on the Plains rather than pushing further west..

Conflicts ensued.. Natives knew the Civil War was raging and troops had been recalled to fight the Confederacy.. raids increased, volunteer militias were formed and atrocities were common; the worst of the Gvmt militia attacks occurred under command of Col Chivington at Sand Creek, CO.

in retribution, this led to repeated attacks on white settlers & railroad stations/workers because Natives knew the 'Horse Soldiers' were occupied elsewhere..

I've never read where Horse Culture nomadic tribes sided with the Confederacy, but I wouldn't doubt that - if they could've wished either side success - they'd have hoped that the Union cavalry troops would be eliminated completely...