Rogue One. A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by pensfan13, Dec 17, 2016.

1. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

the stupidest parts was they have phazers and lightsabres but still need extension cords and vintage ku band style satellite dishes for communications

2. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Yeah. I think some things they had to have in because the original movie was in 77 and other things they can let go because there was no presidenc. I chalk it up to the fact that this was the technology they had a long time ago and far away.

I mean really, who would be sending words to their friends when they can actually speak to them on the same mobile device?

3. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I love reading all the old fogies (and biddies) take on the new Star Wars movie.

Have you even thought that it's NOT all about you?

Did you see how many kids were in the audience?

Perhaps some who've never seen a Star Wars movie.

To them it wasn't the same story rehashed with the same characters, it was something completely new.

And imo, better than most of the other SW movies.

However the overall theme of the SW series, good vs evil, is what is so overplayed these days.

I think in this last movie they actually brought up a Grey Area where not everything the Alliance does is good.

In reality there are no clear lines separating good and evil acts.

It's all a matter of perspective. Esp. when innocent ppl are dying.

And people aren't inherently or completely "good" or "evil" as SW implies.

Also the whole idea of the "Force" is a vague concept sorta like a atheist's version of God-like power, a form of prayer.

So from a critical perspective the series tries to weave a philosphy/religion that has no basis in reality (like every religion).

It's a futuristic fairy tale, nothing more than a few hours entertainment and a mediocre attempt to impart some wisdom and morals to young people.

2 people like this.
  4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Last week I saw Rogue One and it was better than expected.

It was a nice fresh take on the rebellion and didn’t mind that they CGI’d and digitally repurposed archive footage of Peter Cushing (Governor Tarkin)

I’d give it a 3 out of 4 [​IMG]

Hotwater

5. I loved Rogue One. My favorite Star Wars movie? Perhaps. Lord Vader's killing spree at the end was marvelous.

6. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Finally saw it in 3D RPX. (First time saw it in standard)
    Much more like a video game. I heard complaints about tarkin looking too fake. But everyone looked a little fake this way. leia actually looked much better this way and I had no complaints about how she looked before.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The thing about the force is, in the original movies the force was something to learn, like mediatarion in a way. Then the prequels came and you had to be born with the gift or inherit it through the blood genes.

Anyway, fuck the force. The force is whack! The force is like the star wars universal religion. :D and just like modern Christians, they think they're using it for good causes yet in reality like you've said, innocents are dying because of it and the Jedi.

I've always been on the side of the storm troops anyway. :) they're just following orders trying to make a living.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

And no one has email or messenger

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Well, it's grossed almost a billion worldwide.

$925 million as of this week

So I doubt it's the last sideways not really a star wars movie movie we will see.

Watched it again, it's bettwe than all the prequels, that goes with out saying

Minute by minute arguably better than at least one of the original trilogy, everyone would have a diffstent opinion about that. A New Hope in particular is a bit hokey when you watch it now.

Still a curious sensation, you only see a lightsaber once for like 10 seconds, there aren't any Jedi in the film, none of the story really maters, and yet, it is a good movie

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yes, I still want to talk about it.

Good movie, but still really irritating that the premise for the second half of the movie is to steal the death star plans and deliver them in person to Leia for some reason.....as opposed to just sending them encrypted over an email server.

All the guys that got chopped up in that airlock thingy by Vader trying to play parse the parsel with the oversized usb stick, I betcha they were all thinking "man, I wish someone had invented email or TOR in this galaxy"

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

What a shocking revelation that you of all people would be on the side of Stormtrooper's (shock troops)

Hotwater

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Hey the Nazis were by far the best dressed looking force of all time and the StormTroopers I think are completely based off it. :D

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Maybe.

But there is no maybe about the first order. They might as well be called the first reich.

VG you really seem to be caught up in this technology thing. It really isn't that different than the technology we have now. It's just minor differences

Considering it takes place a long time ago they are pretty damn advanced.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah. I wonder how the empire is TODAY! Lol.
    Does it still exist or are all these stories out of a Star Wars Universe bible? Hehe. :D

15. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Some day we might see. Yesterday in a galaxy far away...but as far as I know there are no stories that far in the future yet. But the empire is gone, it died when the emperor did. I guess it's possible that a new empire formed though.

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Heyyyy does that mean Star Wars is really like the first "back to the future"? :D

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Tomorrow! In a galaxy far.. long gone..

1 person likes this.
  18. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

How does this end then. Do they blow up the death star?

I can't wait for that bit.

I ask because I started watching it and I got 2/3 of the way through before I got bored with it and stopped watching it, now I can't be arsed.

Does every Star Wars film have to be about the empire plotting to rule the galaxy through coercive means?

I wanted to see this in 3D, because I want to be a real spaceman.

The film looked better than it was though. I thought the new Sino-Espanol majority ethnic main characters looked good, but it was let down by stupid script writing.

Jenny Soul could have been a great space warrior princess, but instead she was just fed bullshit lines by the producers, same as her robot. I liked the way she looked though, obviously she's gorgeous but I mean the way she looked serious and damaged. I want to cuddle her.

The new Peter Cushing mini-me was quite good, but the CGI Peter Cushing was a fuck up. He looked real in it, but the idiots who programmed him completely arsed his eye movement. They obviously mistakenly thought, or someone thought that they better put in eye movements to make him look real, whereas the real Peter Cushing would have stared at someone or something as he was delivering his lines and only looked at something else given the direction of the acting. It would have fooled anyone younger than 30 who didn't know who Peter Cushing was if it weren't for the fact they made it look more like it was CGI through this artistic oversight.

It was all special effects, but that's what basically Star Wars is. It's a film franchise borne out of a series of books that aren't really that deep, but are about space.

I await the rebellians response to my last statement.

19. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I will say there was a lot of action in the movie, and it was good action. It had its flaws but the action made it very watchable and I recommend it.

20. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

That's why I regret not going to my local 3D cinema to see it. I'm no longer near one.

I saw Return of the Jedis last year in 3D, it was alright. Then I saw the trailer for Rogue One and as soon as I saw the clip of the death star eclipsing a moon or a sun...

It's harder to make 3D films work artistically than it is 2D because of the added dimension, but it's not impossible. I've seen lots of fancy works, lots of bangs and whistles.

It's a shame space sci-fi films have lost the edge they used to have.

It's like there's a reverse rule with sci-fi, the older it is the more futuristic it looks.

Star Wars is supposed to be set in another Galaxy, yet despite the creativity in shaping all muppets and forms of alien life it always spoils the atmosphere with a "high five"

Who is writing these things, morons?

Star Wars is not about the science, or any sort of moral value apart from black versus white. Star Trek does all of that, or at least it used to.

2001 a space oddysey. Imagine a 3D reboot of that. Take some skill to pull that off I wonder.