Roe to be overturned

Discussion in 'Political Polls' started by Piobaire, May 3, 2022.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Supreme court voted to overturn Roe v Wade abortion law, leaked draft opinion reportedly shows

"Roe was egregiously wrong from the start. Its reasoning was exceptionally weak, and the decision has had damaging consequences. And far from bringing about a national settlement of the abortion issue, Roe and Casey have enflamed debate and deepened division. We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled. It is time to heed the constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

This has been the plan for quite some time...

MeAgain likes this.
  3. mcme

mcme lurker

I'll bet that unsigned draft will sit on a shelf until whoever leaked this is dealt with severely.

4. Tyrsonswood

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

It's worth noting that Texas filed an amicus brief encouraging the Court to not only repeal Roe v. Wade, but take this opportunity to rescind other "unenumerated rights" (those not enumerated in the original unamended Constitution) established by Court precedent, including Griswald v. Conneticut, Loving v. Virginia, Lawrence v. Texas, and Obergefell v. Hodges, and several Republicans including Mike Braun, John Cornyn, Marsha Blackburn, Tom Leonard, Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum have encouraged SCOTUS to do precisely that; stare decisis be damned.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  6. Tyrsonswood

7. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Let's take a giant step backward in terms of women's rights. I am well beyond childbearing age but in the mid 1970's, two years after this became law, I was raped. My rape did not result in a pregnancy. As a poor single self-supporting woman I could barely support myself on minimum wage, better yet care for and support a child. I think every woman should be able to make her own choice about her personal health. Overturning Roe v Wade will not stop women from aborting a pregnancy but it will stop women from getting a safe abortion.

I think it is ironic that the same people who want to force all pregnant women to have a child are the same people that don't want the responsibility to help support that woman and child after the birth happens.

8. Tyrsonswood

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

What happens if Roe v. Wade is overturned?
    Next mail in abortion pills will be declared "unconstitutional".
    Then access to family planning and information about states that allow abortions will be banned with heavy penalties for disseminating that information. I think I heard up to a $100,000 fine. Then murder and accessory to murder charges will be brought for any abortion leading to a legal quagmire as fetuses will become citizens and then fertilized eggs will be granted citizenship at conception.

And still the poor will go hungry.

hotwater likes this.
  10. MeAgain

11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

They will be banning birth control next. One state had such a law. I guess the earth could handle 50--100 billion people.:confused:

MeAgain and Piobaire like this.
  12. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Mitt Romney? That's a surprise. Roe rests on the unenumerated right of privacy. So do the others. Some Justices, like the late Justice Scalia, think precedent doesn't apply to the Supreme Court, lest some stupid decision be incorporated into our Constitution. Seems to me, though, that any effort to overturn precedents involving personal decisions like marriage will open up a hornet's nest in a country where people are already talking about Civil War.

All this from the party that wants to get government off our backs. Of course, they say they're just turning our rights back to the States that are closer to the people. Closer, my ass. My state government is in the hip pocket of the oil and gas industry and the religious right.

scratcho, MeAgain and Tyrsonswood like this.
  13. John1971

John1971 Senior Member

The GOP better start planning on opening orphanages if Roe is overturned. And since those motherfuckers are the ones who want it overturned, they can pay for those orphanages.

Flagme15 and hotwater like this.
  14. Tyrsonswood

That won't happen... GOP only cares for unborn kids. Once born those kids are on their own.

15. Tyrsonswood

16. MeAgain

Exactly.
    Unenumerated rights are guaranteed by the 9th Amendment
    What it states is that just because a right is not specifically granted by the Constitution, that doesn't mean you don't have that right.

Roe v Wade rests on the unenumerated right to privacy. With the overturning of Roe the right to privacy can then be eliminated.
    In 1965 in Griswold v. Connecticut, U.S. Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas conceived the right to privacy based on penumbra, or rights that can be inferred from other rights found in the Constitution.
    Once the Right eliminates Wade it can then go on to eliminate birth control, same sex relations and marriages, contraceptives, interracial marriage, private schools, marital privacy, the right to travel, the right to vote, the assumption of innocence, autonomy, dignity and ....privacy itself.

Get ready, here he comes!

[​IMG]

17. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

So, we'll have another few million poor urban children to take care of all the while we make no means of trying to help them by expanding Medicaid (and the two cheap clinics that accept it..) or having any federal child care programs, pre-k, access to birth control. Nah, we'll have a continuation of generational welfare.

scratcho and MeAgain like this.
  18. Tyrsonswood

Nah.... They want to get rid of welfare too.

Except for big business... They will get all the corporate welfare they want.

scratcho, hotwater and Tishomingo like this.
  19. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

In addition to Roe and Casey, it will also overturn Griswold v. Connecticut which protects the liberty of married couples to buy and use contraceptives without government restriction.

All privacy rights were just flushed down the toilet

20. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter