Robert Moog died!

Discussion in 'Music' started by hiddendoor, Aug 22, 2005.

1. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

Sad news about one of electronic music's great early pioneers, my record collection would be unrecognisable without this great man's work
    R.I.P Bob Moog

"ASHEVILLE, N.C. — August 21, 2005 — Bob died this afternoon at his home in Asheville, N.C. He was 71. Bob was diagnosed with brain cancer (glioblastoma multiforme or GBM) in late April 2005. He had received both radiation treatment and chemotherapy to help combat the disease. He is survived by his wife, Ileana, his five children, Laura Moog Lanier, Matthew Moog, Michelle Moog-Koussa, Renee Moog, and Miranda Richmond; and the mother of his children, Shirleigh Moog.

Bob was warm and outgoing. He enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. He especially appreciated what Ileana referred to as "the magical connection" between music-makers and their instruments.

No public memorial is planned. Fans and friends can direct their sympathies or remembrances to www.caringbridge.com/visit/bobmoog.

Bob's family has established The Bob Moog Foundation dedicated to the Advancement of Electronic Music in his memory. Many of his longtime collaborators including musicians, engineers and educators have agreed to sit on its executive board including David Borden, Wendy Carlos, Joel Chadabpe, John Eaton, David Mash, and Rick Wakeman. For more information about the foundation, contact Matthew Moog at mattmoog@yahoo.com.

We'll miss you Bob."

2. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

He died from Brain Cancer yesterday. :(

Moog in 1964 developed a synthesizer that was marketed the first commercial modular synthesizer. The Moog synthesizer was used on Abby Road, the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again", and much of the electronic music of today.

He was a musical electronics pioneer.

http://business.bostonherald.com/technologyNews/view.bg?articleid=99161

3. whatwasithinking

whatwasithinking Member

I love the synth in "Won't Get Fooled Again"!

4. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I just read about this. He was a great innovator & responsible for the spacey sound of much music of the late 60s including hits by Emerson, Lake and Palmer, the Beatles, the Doors, the Moody Blues, Wendy/Walter Carlos & many many more. The moog synthesizer changed the course of music and blended well with the drug fueled music scene.

RIP Mr. Moog!

5. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Music just wouldn't be the same without the help of Dr. Moog.

6. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

That's sad. :(

7. Jesus the Jedi

Jesus the Jedi Senior Member

damn someone beat me to this thread...

yeah its a real bummer, he did some pretty neat shit. influenced so much music of today, most non directly but still.

8. gdhmomchild

gdhmomchild Duct tape abuser

I missed this. Got off the front too fast.