Road trip costs

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by backtothelab, May 25, 2004.

1. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

I'm sure this is not the right forum, but i think it fits it best.
    A friend and I are planning on going on a road trip soon, and i was wondering how much it'll cost. It's gonna be bare, living in the back of a jeep, or maybe a van, eating pretty much whatever we can find, probably soup, stolen food stuffs and ramen noodles. Is gas really that much? I calculated that if i get 26 miles to the gallon, and travel 1000 miles using gas that costs 2.50 a gallon, it's only goona be about 90 dollars. That is, ninety dollars every 1000 miles. It's seems a bit too good to be true. Does this seem right? I'm not really good with math, so i don't know. Can anyone give any tips for two people living out of a duffel bag and a jeep cheroke.

2. Cornball1

Cornball1 Member

Remember Murphys law. Whatever can go wrong will go wrong. Allow for extra on gas just to be safe. Also set some aside for oil or minor break downs. I have a jeep and it does have a few problems form time to time.

3. mother_nature's_son

mother_nature's_son Member

If you are traveling 1000 miles, getting 25/26 miles to the gallon, you are going to need 40 gallons of gasoline. For $2.50 a gallon, you are looking at a total of $100. This is if you are getting 25/26 miles to the gallon on every mile out of the 1000, which I would not bet on. I'd say take $125 - $150 for gas to be safe. You aint gonna go about gettin that shit for free if you run out. ;)

4. backtothelab

well, we'll be traveling a long ways, much much farther than 1000, i was just using that to figure out how much cash we might need. Another question, how far is alaska from russia? I was thinking if it was far, we might be able to catch a ferry possibly. We don't have visas, so if the trip from alaska to russia is'nt far, do you think we could get across illegally? Will we be stopped moving through russia and asia for our passports? I highly, highly doubt we'll have one. Will they want to search our cars for, um, "illegal" items?

5. backtothelab

Also, what about food? We were thinking that we could eat alot of canned foods and ramen noodles and rice and stuff. If things get hard, we'll steal. I imagine, if the alaska->russia thing goes through, we'd be in southern russia, or asia by the time we run out of food, how are they with theivery? I don't wanna get my hand chopped off, lol.

6. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

look, you cant be an idiot about this. if youre going through other countries, especially through different languages, a passport is the only thing gonna keep you alive. you also dont want to be stealing, you want to have maximum karma at your disposal when you trust your fate to the road.

7. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

yeah, you dont have to steal to stay fed while you're on the road. and if you're running a diesel vehicle, you can get your fuel for free (waste veg oil)

8. Harvest

Harvest Member

Have you checked the actual mileage you get in the cherokee? I'd maybe run through a tank or two to get an average. My friend drives one and only gets about 14-16 miles per gallon. Just a thought, might want to make sure and not underestimate gas costs.

9. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

As someone else posted, estimate high for the gas. I doubt you will actually get the mileage jeep says you will and always allow for higher fuel consumption for backtracking and traffic delays.

Alaska is only three miles in theory from Russia. That is, the US's Little Diomede island is only three miles from Russia's Big Diomede Island. You won't get there by car. There is no scheduled ferry services between any part of Alaska and Russia. You will always need a passport to travel to almost all other countries and definately need a Visa for Russia.

10. backtothelab

Well I guess I'm not driving to russia:(.
    I know I'm gonna get less than 26, i was just using that for perspective, i could'nt remember what the jeep got. Well thanks for the advice everyone!

11. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

You can't get to Russia from Alaska by car/ferry legally. Even if you had a visa good for any port of entry, they still wouldn't allow it. They insist you have to come in by air. You could walk to Russia in the winter over the ice and sneak in that way, but if you got caught, they would, if you're lucky, just turn you back. Stick to the US. You don't understand how you much you won't be in Kansas anymore in other countries, and how you would not have the rights you take for granted here.to be treated civilly by the authorities.

12. cousinit

cousinit Member

. unless you allready live in alaska, you will have to go through Canada. gass is a $1 a litre right now almost $4 a gallon

Vancouver to Anchorage is over 2000miless by road. And The roads get pretty rough up north. so take you time and enjoy the sceanery. no pont in braking an axle in a pot hole. oh, you cant drive to the bearing straight int he summer. thier are dirt roads, but they are for winter use only as the permafrost is too soft to build on . Ice roads are rebuilt every winter, and a mainly used by frieght vehicles

Be certain to sure take extra jerry cans of feul, and.bring your winter clothes with you .It can be 80F one day and snow the next

mosquito netting wil be extreemly usefull if you plan on camping up thier. northern mositoes have landing gear, and thiers so freekin many of them the sky turns dark and hums. youll also have to fight off black flies, dear flies, horse flys ans swarms of no-see-ems.

13. sonik

sonik Member

This sounds like disaster in the making.

Do yourself a favour kid and stick to the southern u.s. unless you already live in alaska...

You can get ramen noodles for a quarter when they are on sale, thus you should never have to steal. Your only asking from more trouble then its worth.

good luck, your going to need it

14. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I want to go to Alaska...Or Walla Walla...I always saw that on the Oregon Trail game when I was a kid and wanted to go. It's a real place, right? :)

Please don't steal. :( It's bad karma.

You can stick illegal stuff up your ass, and as long as you're cooperative and act like it's no big deal if they search your car and stuff, you should be okay.

Right?

If not, say it's racial profiling and make a scene.

15. freeinalaska

uh..you can't drive to the Bearing Straight summer or winter. Yes there are some ice roads but they are not going to get you from the road system to the Bearing Sea in a car. You can snowmobile or mush over trails but not drive a car. And those freight vehicles you are talking about??? You can drive from the lower 48 and Canada to Anchorage, Fairbanks and smaller towns on the road system to Prudhoe Bay. Look at a road atlas. Do you see a lack of roads for most of the state?? All villages on the Bearing Sea coast are fly in or boat in only. Most freight is flown in. Thats why you pay eight bucks a gallon for milk.

16. cousinit

cousinit Member

the map I have had showed seasonal trails, I figured they wher roads.but its basicaly the same in canda, onoy a few norhtenrn towns actualy have raods to them.

17. freeinalaska

Trails are what they are, mostly used in the winter. Alaska has an awesome extensive trail system. A friend and I once mushed dogs from Nome to my door step outside of Fairbanks.

Some fly in only villages can be driven to in the winter on an ice road, but these are few.