RIP Tom Wolfe

Discussion in 'People' started by DrSunflower, May 15, 2018.

1. DrSunflower

DrSunflower Members

Author of The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test... and other classics.

2. roccobkln

roccobkln Members

Tom Wolfe blazed new directions of journalism and literature, and made the 60s more interesting and fun.

scratcho likes this.
  3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I didn't read all of it, but I actually borrowed that book once. It had a character named Ken Kesey and what I imagined must have been a Volkswagen bus with revelers who were experimenting with substances and tape recording each other... I might have even read that the people aboard the bus were shouting at pedestrians possibly to be random. I don't remember because I haven't read any of it since high school. I didn't think the book was all that consequential. But again, I didn't read all of it. Another book I didn't get was Huxley's "Doors of Perception" book. I'm starting to see a pattern. But anyway, I loved Brave New World (Huxley, not Wolfe).

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

It was an international Harvester school bus. Ken led the Merry Pranksters, and the acid tests were a platform for the Grateful Dead to become the improv band they made cultural history with.

But to Tom Wolfe: I studied New Journalism in high school, I have always thought of it as stream of consciousness/ Gonzo, and used a lot of the form in my own reporting.
    Overall, Wolfe did solid research and wrote compelling and engaging pieces.

soulcompromise and scratcho like this.
  5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

He was able to convey the thought-processes of several different social groups/movements , some pretty exclusive like the Pump House Gang. The acid tests , the people around them, Keseys thefts of acid from the lab, and the changes that those tests would bring to society ( while war was raging) were right on the money. Great reading.

soulcompromise likes this.