Richard Thompson

Discussion in 'UK Music Forum' started by Power_13, May 23, 2004.

1. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

Another post about a British singer/songwriter who I like. Two in one week :p

Richard Thompson started off with the folk rock band Fairport Convention in the 60s. He left in 1971 and went solo, producing albums such as Henry The Human Fly and Mock Tudor. I borrowed "The Best of the Capitol Records years" and "The Old Kit Bag", released in 2003, from the library, and was immediately hooked. He's not only a good musician technically, but his songs are about interesting characters...the kid barely released from prison, celebrating his freedom in "I Feel So Good"...James Adie, the thief who is shot during a bank robbery and bequeathes his pride and joy, his motorcycle, to his girlfriend on his deathbed in "1952 Vincent Black Lightning".

As well as writing about serious topics, he also indulges in amusing songs. I'll finish this post by linking to a song he wrote after Janet Jackson's "revealing" Superbowl performance :p

http://www.richardthompson-music.com/audio/dear_janet.mp3

2. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

Never heard of him!

But, talking of amusing songs, I love some of Tom Lehre's. 'Dead Puppies', 'Hunting Song' and 'Poisoning Pigeons in the Park' being few of my faves:p

3. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

great song...

i've only really heard his fairport related material before, but i did read a thing in mojo about how he joined a sufi commune

4. zopilote

zopilote Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i like him a lot, hes a good lyricist and a great guitarist but there are times when i can't stand his voice...only on certain records...like rumor and sigh, i dont like that record much

i want to see the bright lights tonight is an incredible record mind, and the work he did with fairport is a large amount of their best, so he deserves much applause

5. Ellie-Rose

Ellie-Rose Le Muppet

What I've heard you play of him.. I've liked very much!! :D