Richard III

Discussion in 'History' started by odonII, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

So, sometime after 1612, something happened to the stone pillar, and somehow the local people failed to pass the knowledge down to anyone in the next generation that a former king was buried there. That's the part that is so puzzling to me. It just seems like this kind of information could never be lost, since every town has its share of old men who are fanatical about history.

Of course, we don't have many cemeteries that date back to 1612 in the US, and we have a lot less history to keep track of. I'm sure that makes a difference.

sherman march likes this.
  2. roamy

roamy Senior Member

He was no King of Ireland !

3. odonII

odonII O

What seems to have happened is the original site remained remembered but a more popular opinion rose above it; that his body was thrown over Bow Bridge (pictured earlier).
    I think they have always presumed his body was still where it was supposed to be - hence digging that particular site.
    I guess it was to finally dispel folklore, too.
    To be fair, I've never taken much notice to the plaque on the bridge, or bothered to look that closely at the site.
    I think they have an upgraded visitor centre near by - I might actually take a visit.
    What I know is just based on a little bit of research - it could be wrong.

4. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

The very air you are breathing is a scam. Better hold your breath.

5. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Okay, that totally makes sense.

All these old stories tend to be long and complicated! But that's a part of what makes them interesting.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

7. odonII

odonII O

A picture yes (page 2) the video/article no.

8. odonII

odonII O

True :)

9. Tyrsonswood

Sorry, I haven't been clicking the links. I'm following this same thing on another forum. :2thumbsup:

10. odonII

odonII O

Is there anybody from Leicester in that other forum thread?

11. Tyrsonswood

Not sure... It's a computer geeks forum out of the UK though.

12. odonII

odonII O

Fair enough. Just curious.

13. EL Tuna

EL Tuna Member

They always find "James R Hoffa" over here every couple of years. Couple weeks go by and then the truth comes out just another stiff in a hole.

Looks like he got whacked in the head and thrown in a hole just the same, Crooked king?

Alot of graves that were marked at one time get lost over the years. I would think even if a stone was there, How many years, Storms etc have passed by and the stone fell apart.

I dont think they jumped the gun this time, Too many eyes watching and too many people that will want facts of their own.
    Kinda neat that out of the blue they found him in your back yard? Plus the fact you got/get to see the "real" tomb/hole he was put in. Always neat to not only hear but see for yourself, His last resting place.

14. odonII

odonII O

Yeah, it is. I'm going to try to take some pictures and see what is being developed in that area. It's kinda off where I would usually go into the town centre, but only just. It's (the site and the bridge) all literally half a mile from where I live. I live just off King Richards Road :rolleyes:

I don't think it was technically lost the precise location was, perhaps. They didn't have Google maps. It could have all been built over - but they generally give archaeologists a window if a site is of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyfriars,_Leicester

15. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

According to the inscriptions on his coins he was ... but then again, I think the French would say he was no king of France, either :mickey:

16. roamy

roamy Senior Member

the french would be right to and many more other countries :)

17. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Ahhhh ... but the Plantagenets didn't claim to be kings of any other countries.

Just "ANG FRA ET HIB REX"

18. roamy

roamy Senior Member

i take it our ceasefires! over ? ha! ha! king of Ireland my ass!

19. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Yeah ... now it's a case of "Curse and swear, Lord Kildare / Beach will do what Beach will dare" LOL

I'm off to Carlow. Are you coming?

20. roamy

roamy Senior Member

ha! ha! you just missed me by a few weeks. was i kilkenny an carlow family events.safe journey bb :)